N/S Legendary USC /former NE Patriots RB Sam "Bam" Cunningham dead at 71 (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The fact that only a HBO Sports documentary (Against the Tide) has been made discussing this legendary man's life, storied NCAAF and even 9 year NFL career is almost shameful and does not explain thoroughly or appropriately magnify what this man managed to achieve. Alabama and other SEC schools had begun recruiting African-American HS players before Sam Cunningham's legendary performance vs. Alabama in September 1970 in Birmingham's Legion Field, but it was kind at a marginal, slow pace. His electrifying, awe-inspiring single-game performance helped put the last few remaining nails in segregation's coffin, at least in terms of attitudes, mindsets towards recruiting African-American HS players at once-dominantly, defiantly segregated SEC football teams. Former Alabama HC Paul "Bear" Bryant once famously recalled that Cunningham's performance did more to change attitudes towards integration in 60 minutes than what Martin Luther King Jr. had been able to in 20 years".

Also, FWIW, he was also the older brother of future, legendary duel-purpose NFL MVP Pro-Bowl QB, the Michael Vick of the 1980's and 1990's, Philadelphia Eagles superstar Randall Cunningham.

http://upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2021/09/07/NFL-Patriots-USC-great-Sam-Cunningham-death/4551631067757/

Last edited:
The fact that only a HBO Sports documentary (Against the Tide) has been made discussing this legendary man's life, storied NCAAF and even 9 year NFL career is almost shameful and does not explain thoroughly or appropriately magnify what this man managed to achieve. Alabama and other SEC schools had begun recruiting African-American HS players before Sam Cunningham's legendary performance vs. Alabama in September 1970 in Birmingham's Legion Field, but it was kind at a marginal, slow pace. His electrifying, awe-inspiring single-game performance helped put the last few remaining nails in segregation's coffin, at least in terms of attitudes, mindsets towards recruiting African-American HS players at once-dominantly, defiantly segregated SEC football teams. Former Alabama HC Paul "Bear" Bryant once famously recalled that Cunningham's performance did more to change attitudes towards integration in 60 minutes than what Martin Luther King Jr. had been able to in 20 years".

Also, FWIW, he was also the older brother of future, legendary duel-purpose NFL MVP Pro-Bowl QB, the Michael Vick of the 1980's and 1990's, Philadelphia Eagles superstar Randall Cunningham.

http://upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2021/09/07/NFL-Patriots-USC-great-Sam-Cunningham-death/4551631067757/

RIP Sam the Bam. He was a great player. I didn't realize he was Randall Cunningham's older brother. God bless the family and comfort them during their time of grieving.

I did not know that Sam Cunningham was Randall's older brother.

He should be more famous than his little bro.

One of the all-time great football names.

And I'll echo that I had no idea he was Randall's brother. You'd think that would have been tirelessly mentioned by broadcasters. Goes to show they were both able to carve out their own legacies.

RIP Bam.

I'm old, so I remember him (and Steve Grogan and Russ Francis)....didn't know he was Randall's older brother....RIP Bam

Am I remembering correctly that they used to call him Bam (the Man) Cunningham?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom