N/S Le'Veon Bell: 'I'm what Steph Curry is to basketball' (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
In regards to his patient running style which is different than most, I think he is changing the game a bit. I for one love his style because he always seems to have success at it and gains good chunks of yards before breaking out a big run. There's been numerous times when our RB has just run straight into a wall of linemen and if he would have just waited a second there would have been a huge hole on the backside of the play or just to either side of the main gap the run was designed to run to. I know this style requires the linemen to hold their blocks a couple seconds more but how hard do y'all think it is for a RB to adjust his game to be a little like Bell? I'm not saying be patient and hesitate all the time. Still run to where you are supposed to go if there is a good initial hole, but if it isn't there then hesitate a second and try something else that opens up or might open up instead of running into a wall of linemen for no gain or a loss. I just feel like Ingram could gain so many more yards if he was a split second more patient at times because I have seen big secondary holes open up before in our offense.

"I think I'm changing the game," the Pittsburgh Steelers running back told Bleacher Report. "In that sense, I'm what Steph Curry is to basketball. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think Steph Curry is the best basketball player, but he changed the game so he's going to always go down as being remembered. Now, everyone wants to shoot the 3 and shoot it from deep."

He recently described that style to ESPN's Jerome Bettis, telling the former Steelers great that he looks off linebackers to bait them into the gap he doesn't want to hit before cutting back.

"I watch the linebacker ... but I'm not going to look at him. I don't even want him to know I see him," Bell said.

Le'Veon Bell of Pittsburgh Steelers -- I'm changing NFL like Stephen Curry changed NBA

I know this style requires the linemen to hold their blocks a couple seconds more but how hard do y'all think it is for a RB to adjust his game to be a little like Bell? I'm not saying be patient and hesitate all the time. Still run to where you are supposed to go if there is a good initial hole, but if it isn't there then hesitate a second and try something else that opens up or might open up instead of running into a wall of linemen for no gain or a loss.

I think having otherworldly vision and improvisation ability isn't something you can learn as a running back; you either have it or you don't.

That was a lot of the frustration with Reggie it seemed, in that he usually didn't allow slow developing run plays to open avenues for him to use his explosion. Similar issues are brought up with Ingram now, but I do think he's gotten better than he was the beginning of his career and the results show it.

I think there are probably tons of guys with the size, speed and power to be mediocre NFL running backs that aren't on NFL rosters or playing football at all. Having great vision, patience and an ability to think on the fly, in addition to elite physical skills, is what separates the Bells/LTs/Sanders of the world from everyone else.

There are always gonna be guys like Pierre Thomas, too, that have those top-notch mental abilities without the accompanying elite athleticism and still have great success.

I think having otherworldly vision and improvisation ability isn't something you can learn as a running back; you either have it or you don't.

That was a lot of the frustration with Reggie it seemed, in that he usually didn't allow slow developing run plays to open avenues for him to use his explosion. Similar issues are brought up with Ingram now, but I do think he's gotten better than he was the beginning of his career and the results show it.

I think there are probably tons of guys with the size, speed and power to be mediocre NFL running backs that aren't on NFL rosters or playing football at all. Having great vision, patience and an ability to think on the fly, in addition to elite physical skills, is what separates the Bells/LTs/Sanders of the world from everyone else.

There are always gonna be guys like Pierre Thomas, too, that have those top-notch mental abilities without the accompanying elite athleticism and still have great success.

Very well said. :9:

That's cool and all, but maybe focus on not starting this next season with a three game suspension. Maybe be the Steph Curry of avoiding getting suspended.

Dude is a man among boys.

I always enjoy watching him run because he kind of just "sits" there as the play unfolds then he darts through some hole no one saw and the next thing you know he's 12 yards down field.

To the person that mentioned Reggie - that's what always strikes me about that long run he had in the Arizona playoff game - the play took long to develop and he was able to hit the holes as they opened and tear through everybody once they did. If he could have done that more, he could have went from "pretty good" to "something special".

Does anyone in college who is coming out for the draft this year run with Bell's style? Not saying draft him, just curious cause I haven't watched college football much this past season.

Not trying to discredit the guy or anything because he is awesome but Barry Sanders ran with a similar technique and arguably did it better than Le'Veon.

One of the biggest benefits to Bell's approach, at least I think, is that you never see him take a big hit. I've watched a number of his games due to having him on my fantasy team, and I just can't recall one. Some of it is probably due to his elite agility and vision, but somehow he seems to avoid the big hit.

So when all is said and done, will he be the best all purpose back of all time? Joining the likes of Marshall Faulk and LT.

He is definitely the most enjoyable running back I've ever seen play.

I don't like when professional athletes self boast, even though it may have merit. Every running back has their own running style, his just happens to stand out more because he's had tremendous success thus far. I don't know if telling some of your running secrets bodes well either. Imo he should've kept that to himself. I understand his basis for the Steph comparison, but it's two totally different sports. I think he needs to pump the brakes a little and just focus on staying on the field for his team.

I enjoy watching the steelers and I'm by no means a steelers fan. Watching leveen get 5yards a carry on almost every run is fun but what makes by fun to watch is the way he does it. He very rarely gets tackled for a loss and almost always get 4-5yards at a minimum it seems before breaking 10+yard runs. Very elusive and patient runner. Got to give the man credit he is very good at his craft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom