N/S List why you feel the NFL is less of a draw now than in the past. (1 Viewer)

Kris

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Ratings are down. I know why my interest is down, curious how many agree or think it is different.

The rules have been changed to make offense so predominant that usually if a team doesn't score it is their own ineptitude rather than defensive work. Defenses are so limited by the rules to make the game "more exciting by higher scoring".

The officials call the game based on the outcome that the NFL finds favorable. The rules leave so much gray area that the officials control enough of the game to keep the score close and the "right" team in the lead. How else can you explain the officiating never being consistent. The NFL decided close game shootouts are exciting so they try and create it. The flaw in this is that it has become like college basketball in that all you need to watch are the last 4 minutes of each half and the highlights and you've got the game. Why watch when it's team scores, other team scores, team score, other team scores and the last team to score wins. It would be different if ALL of the games didn't go this way. Think it's not being manufactured??? Look at the scores. Most are within one score. I find it hard to believe that this is "true parity", and believe it is manufactured by the rules and the officiating.
A penalty should be a penalty no matter WHAT the score is. This is absolutely NOT the current case. Pass interference and defensive holding are called so inconstantly in the same game that it HAS to be based on desired outcome.

I'm thinking they should let the players wear outrageous capes and props and institute tag team plays. Worked for a while with the silly (not) wrestling thing. Give em megaphones and let em go at it.

Kris

I think it's because of the good work PFT did to openly being to light what a soap opera the league is.

1. In an era of mega-information, the extent to which the owners have shown absolute disdain for their employees and patrons is just too obvious to ignore. I don't mind paying high prices for things. I will not pay any price for a vendor that I know holds me in disdain, because by definition, I am paying too much, and I will not be a willing sucker.

2. It's hard to avoid the nagging suspicion that while the games are not fixed, there's a D-list game of thrones being played among the owners, the league office and the officials; if nothing else, the sense from the league office that "how things look" >>> "how things are" means that again, by definition, competitive integrity is damaged. Maybe that's the way it is in all sports, but when I see the developments to "just get it right" in every sport from college FB (and talk about a cesspool of hypocrisy, and even they try to get it right) to the NBA to even ******* soccer,while the NFL still "doesn't want to overrule the guy on the field"....sorry.

3. The emotional component of a home crowd is now gone -- it's turning into a fun trip for one percenters, as more and more middle and small-market teams see increasing numbers of visiting fans show up every week. Without the emotional component, we are talking about somewhere between WWE and Rollerball.

Look, I have come a long way around to respecting Tom Benson, and I remain a big fan of Payton and Brees and the kind of people they lead. And I know how important the team is to the soul of my beloved home town. But if I didn't have personal reasons to keep hanging on to these Saints season tickets, they'd be gone, and I'd be doing a lot more Sunday golf and spending 30 minutes zipping through the game that night.

It's two reasons for me. One the whole kneeling for the anthem, black power crap completely turned me off. I'm not the only one, I have many coworkers that agree with me and refuse to watch any other games besides the saints game. I go to games and watch games to escape all the crap in the world. It's their right and I completely agree they can do what they want. It's also my right to refuse to watch. And I'm sure we'll see how long this continues with the ratings down and the networks wanting a discount the next time the tv contracts come up thereby taking money out of the players pocket.

Secondly, I hate the Thursday night games and the early morning London games. It's an over saturation. Thursday night should just be played on thanksgiving. 2 much of a good thing loses its appeal.

And for lagniappe, the sight of Goodell just disgusts me. He's screwed up just about every thing he puts his hands on. The NFL has been ascending in spite of him for years now.

Do they break down the ratings on a regional basis? i.e. has the LA market TV viewership changed? Has SF dropped a lot, because the Niners stink and moved away to San Jose?

Also, I've said this before, but the Ratings are still based on statistics. They're good and they've been around a long time, but it's still not the real count of who's actually watching. It's a projection. Also, how many people are watching at bars that it doesn't account for?

1. The blatant and not so blatant fixing of the games by Vegas, NFL themselves, owners, players, etc.
The Fix Is In, NFL 2016

2. Repetetive head trauma long term effects can o' worms. Just sad to think of what happens in these men's lives in their post-playing years (and before of course), and what their families and friends have to endure...

Whether the league or media will actually admit it, the National Anthem protests are a big factor in the ratings drop with the NFL. I personally know many people that have been avid NFL fans in the past that have not watched a game this year because of that.

For me personally, it bugs me, but I am still watching. But, the complete inconsistency in officiating & the corrupt commissioner turn me off also.

In no particular order for me...

1. Oversaturation. MNF used to be a spectacle but now it's just eh. There's nothing special about it. NFL is now on Mon, Thu, sometimes Sat and Sun.

2. Rule changes for the worse

3. Inconsistent officiating

4. Goodell

Commercials don't really bug me because of DVR.

I don't think less ratings means less interest. SNF and MNF are still one of the most watched programs. There's still a ton of interest for the league. When the networks try to renegotiate the contracts in reaction to the ratings, then there will be smoke, but I think it's overblown.

In no particular order for me...

1. Oversaturation. MNF used to be a spectacle but now it's just eh. There's nothing special about it. NFL is now on Mon, Thu, sometimes Sat and Sun.

2. Rule changes for the worse

3. Inconsistent officiating

4. Goodell

Commercials don't really bug me because of DVR.

I pretty much agree with all of this. But would like to also add:

5. Different generation. People my age (40's and up) have always had certain teams they follow and remain loyal to that team. The newer generation (20's) doesn't seem to be loyal to one team. Fantasy football has people chasing players instead of teams and even then they just look up the stats without really watching or caring about the games. Perfect example...guy next door to me said his two favorite teams are the Pats...and the Bills. How is that even possible?

1. In an era of mega-information, the extent to which the owners have shown absolute disdain for their employees and patrons is just too obvious to ignore. I don't mind paying high prices for things. I will not pay any price for a vendor that I know holds me in disdain, because by definition, I am paying too much, and I will not be a willing sucker.

2. It's hard to avoid the nagging suspicion that while the games are not fixed, there's a D-list game of thrones being played among the owners, the league office and the officials; if nothing else, the sense from the league office that "how things look" >>> "how things are" means that again, by definition, competitive integrity is damaged. Maybe that's the way it is in all sports, but when I see the developments to "just get it right" in every sport from college FB (and talk about a cesspool of hypocrisy, and even they try to get it right) to the NBA to even ******* soccer,while the NFL still "doesn't want to overrule the guy on the field"....sorry.

3. The emotional component of a home crowd is now gone -- it's turning into a fun trip for one percenters, as more and more middle and small-market teams see increasing numbers of visiting fans show up every week. Without the emotional component, we are talking about somewhere between WWE and Rollerball.

Look, I have come a long way around to respecting Tom Benson, and I remain a big fan of Payton and Brees and the kind of people they lead. And I know how important the team is to the soul of my beloved home town. But if I didn't have personal reasons to keep hanging on to these Saints season tickets, they'd be gone, and I'd be doing a lot more Sunday golf and spending 30 minutes zipping through the game that night.

1. I think Goodell has a lot to do with the tension between players in the league.
2. I don't think it's fixed, but inconsistent officiating. Even Troy Aikmen said today it's been horrible.
3. I don't think any market is getting outpriced. But certain fan bases travel extremely well. Every Saints game I travel to on the road, even during the 7-9 years, have a significant amount of Saints fans. That crowd took over Cowboys Stadium during Thanksgiving 2010.

I pretty much agree with all of this. But would like to also add:

5. Different generation. People my age (40's and up) have always had certain teams they follow and remain loyal to that team. The newer generation (20's) doesn't seem to be loyal to one team. Fantasy football has people chasing players instead of teams and even then they just look up the stats without really watching or caring about the games. Perfect example...guy next door to me said his two favorite teams are the Pats...and the Bills. How is that even possible?

Completely agree on the Fantasy ruining fandom of the younger generation. We have actually had some on this board state that they aren't nearly as upset when the Saints lose as they are when their "Fantasy" team loses. Some have even openly said that it was ok the Saints lost because "so and so had a great game against them and they are on my fantasy team".

I will also put some blame on the Madden video game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom