N/S: Martz hired as 49ers OC (1 Viewer)

Slim K

Suggestions?
Reaction score
Alex Smith, if he is healthy, will have a great year. That scheme they played this year was horrible. I had these guys rated so high, and then they play this horrible scheme.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Do they have any receivers that fit his scheme?
They have Battle, who seems like a decent reciever. I'm sure they'll draft one or sign one also. I think they are going to go hard after Berrian.

rlemieux

Who Dat?
Reaction score
I thought Cameron would have been a better fit, with his knowledge of Norv Turners offense and Smith's success within his system. I just don't think Martz fits well there, they're best weapon is a RB and Martz doesn't know how to use any runningback not named Marshall Faulk.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Disaster waiting to happen. 0% chance this wasn't a hire forced onto Mike Nolan by the FO and ownership.

Nolan and Martz will clash. This marriage will last one season at most. Honestly I wonder if Martz's angle isn't to take Nolan's place after this upcoming year.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Disaster waiting to happen. 0% chance this wasn't a hire forced onto Mike Nolan by the FO and ownership.

Nolan and Martz will clash. This marriage will last one season at most. Honestly I wonder if Martz's angle isn't to take Nolan's place after this upcoming year.
Maybe, but I'll bet he'll have that offense in the mid teens instead of 32 next year (assuming they make a few moves this offseason at WR and O-line).

Saintsphere

Mmmm...Super Bowl
Reaction score
Smith will do horrible in that offense, watch.

There will be talk about letting Shaun Hill run the offense by midseason.

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
they need some help at the wr position, and I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after a vet qb. If they can end up with a solid wr and get some decent play out of the qb poition they should do ok.

yankmccobb76

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just what Alex Smith and Frank Gore did not need. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended ugly.
Actually has me thinking of keeping Gore in my fantasy league.
Kevin Jones looked like a stud in that offense if he could just stay healthy think what Gore might do?

or maybe I'll keep Brandon Jacobs.................

49erKiller

I am 100% human
Reaction score
The scheme that Martz will likely run doesn't seem to fit with the talents of the 49er's offense.

Martz is pass-happy and they don't have a good QB or any receivers that really scare anyone.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
The scheme that Martz will likely run doesn't seem to fit with the talents of the 49er's offense.

Martz is pass-happy and they don't have a good QB or any receivers that really scare anyone.
Alex Smith is still young and suffered through injuries all year. Martz has a knack for getting the most out of QB's. He might turn Smith into a decent QB.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
imo, the 49ers are going to continue to emphasize rebuilding their defense for at least one more draft before the front office turns its attention back to the offense. They are losing Bryant Young to retirement, it's 50/50 whether they bring Marques Douglass back. They've got two outstanding linebackers (it's easy to forget about Manny Lawson, but that kid is a stud). If they can get another pass rushing DE that they can convert to OLB opposite Lawson (read Quentin Groves), I think they'll go in that direction. If Groves is gone, they could go either DE (especially if Jackson from LSU turns pro) or OT.

Martz' hiring allows the 49ers to make an attempt at upgrading their offense without having to significantly invest in additional personel on the offensive side of the ball.

What is easy to overlook with the 49ers is that there was some development by some of their offensive players this season. Vernon Davis definitely showed improvement as did Delanie Walker. I think one of the frustrations that the 49ers front office had this season was the coaching staff's decision to not play Ashley Lelie and the extremely limited playing time of rookie Jason Hill. As things stand now, their WR corp is Battle, Jackson, Lelie, Jason Hill, and Brian Gilmore; realistically, the only players I see them replacing would most likely be Gilmore and D. Jackson. I really believe that they are going to expect Martz to pretty much make do with the talent they already have, at least for the 2008 season.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom