N/S: Martz hired as 49ers OC (1 Viewer)

imo, the 49ers are going to continue to emphasize rebuilding their defense for at least one more draft before the front office turns its attention back to the offense. They are losing Bryant Young to retirement, it's 50/50 whether they bring Marques Douglass back. They've got two outstanding linebackers (it's easy to forget about Manny Lawson, but that kid is a stud). If they can get another pass rushing DE that they can convert to OLB opposite Lawson (read Quentin Groves), I think they'll go in that direction. If Groves is gone, they could go either DE (especially if Jackson from LSU turns pro) or OT.

Martz' hiring allows the 49ers to make an attempt at upgrading their offense without having to significantly invest in additional personel on the offensive side of the ball.

What is easy to overlook with the 49ers is that there was some development by some of their offensive players this season. Vernon Davis definitely showed improvement as did Delanie Walker. I think one of the frustrations that the 49ers front office had this season was the coaching staff's decision to not play Ashley Lelie and the extremely limited playing time of rookie Jason Hill. As things stand now, their WR corp is Battle, Jackson, Lelie, Jason Hill, and Brian Gilmore; realistically, the only players I see them replacing would most likely be Gilmore and D. Jackson. I really believe that they are going to expect Martz to pretty much make do with the talent they already have, at least for the 2008 season.

Last edited:
Actually has me thinking of keeping Gore in my fantasy league.
Kevin Jones looked like a stud in that offense if he could just stay healthy think what Gore might do?

or maybe I'll keep Brandon Jacobs.................

If it's a point-per-reception league that's probably not a bad idea.

imo, the 49ers are going to continue to emphasize rebuilding their defense for at least one more draft before the front office turns its attention back to the offense. They are losing Bryant Young to retirement, it's 50/50 whether they bring Marques Douglass back. They've got two outstanding linebackers (it's easy to forget about Manny Lawson, but that kid is a stud). If they can get another pass rushing DE that they can convert to OLB opposite Lawson (read Quentin Groves), I think they'll go in that direction. If Groves is gone, they could go either DE (especially if Jackson from LSU turns pro) or OT.

Martz' hiring allows the 49ers to make an attempt at upgrading their offense without having to significantly invest in additional personel on the offensive side of the ball.

What is easy to overlook with the 49ers is that there was some development by some of their offensive players this season. Vernon Davis definitely showed improvement as did Delanie Walker. I think one of the frustrations that the 49ers front office had this season was the coaching staff's decision to not play Ashley Lelie and the extremely limited playing time of rookie Jason Hill. As things stand now, their WR corp is Battle, Jackson, Lelie, Jason Hill, and Brian Gilmore; realistically, the only players I see them replacing would most likely be Gilmore and D. Jackson. I really believe that they are going to expect Martz to pretty much make do with the talent they already have, at least for the 2008 season.

Wow...you know a lot about the 49ers. I live in the bay area, and I follow the 49ers. I know for sure that the 49ers trying to get Lance Briggs. If they do get him, just look at their LB corps: Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Lance Briggs, Banta Cain, and Brandon Moore. Then look at our LBers...

Wow...you know a lot about the 49ers. I live in the bay area, and I follow the 49ers. I know for sure that the 49ers trying to get Lance Briggs. If they do get him, just look at their LB corps: Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Lance Briggs, Banta Cain, and Brandon Moore. Then look at our LBers...

I grew up in N.Cal and have followed the 49ers since childhood, since the days of Brodie, Gene Washington, and Ted Kwalick.

Just to follow up on my thoughts on the Martz hiring, is this quote, coming from Matt Maiocco's blog from this morning:

"Nolan said Martz will largely make use of the "cards" he's dealt, as far as personnel. Nolan said they have some very good players."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/news/view.php?id=12925

Last edited:
I thought Cameron would have been a better fit, with his knowledge of Norv Turners offense and Smith's success within his system. I just don't think Martz fits well there, they're best weapon is a RB and Martz doesn't know how to use any runningback not named Marshall Faulk.

Thats what I was thinking, I dont know why SF were so quick to hire the guy, I mean there best player on offense is Frank Gore (RB) and he doesnt even like to run the ball, and there QB's under Martz always get killed, Cameron to me would of been a better pickup, but thats not to say that Martz offense in SF wont be better than SF offense was this year, but I expect some backlash from #21, once they starting having games with 7 rushing attempts.

I think with Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, Mike Martz will find a way to get some very good production from that offense. He's been doing it for years, and will do it again in SF.

Frisco's gonna need to either draft another QB, or bring in a veteran who's got a quick release and a decent/big arm. A. Smith, Shaun Hill, and Dilfer are not a good fit to run a Martz-style Offense.

Oh yeah, and like others have mentioned, the QB they use better be TOUGH, cause the running back's not gonna be blocking anyone with more than a chip block as he goes out into the flat.

Sorry, folks, but this isn't gonna work. The 9ers lack the personnel to run Martz's offense. It requires a QB who can make quick decisions and has a quick release as well as receivers who can catch the ball in stride, assuming said QB can hit them in stride. NFL radio has been talking about this ever since they hired Martz. Great OC, but the wrong man for the personnel out there.

And Gore has to be screaming his head off about this since the Martz offense is predicated on the pass. Gee, the team's best offensive player will get maybe 15 touches a game. Yeah, that's gonna work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom