N/S Mike McCarthy In The NFC Championship & The Favorite... (1 Viewer)

kc2000, also please remember that the saints led the nfc in scoring one year even with AB at the healm. In other words MM was a miracle worker.

No, Mike definitely had a great year that season. Brooks as well. I don't think that makes him a "miracle worker" as you say. But that was pretty much his peak. Scratch that, I was more impressed with him in year 1, than year 3. He put up ridiculous numbers that year, but that 2000 offense was on the verge of being real special before the injuries came about. I'm just saying, he lost his edge or something b/c his offenses after 2003 were very weak and predictable. Run, run, slant, punt. Run, AB throws it up into the lights incomplete, slant, punt. Slant, dive, failed screen, punt.

I don't want to be that guy, but don't you think that having Brett "Turns any pass into gold" Favre has a little bit to do with his success?

I don't want to be that guy, but don't you think that having Brett "Turns any pass into gold" Favre has a little bit to do with his success?

Not really the past 4 years for Brett Farve have been Farve from Spectacular........Couldn't resist!

Last edited:
How was this guy not coach of the year? I mean, even Dennis Green could have at least gone 14-2 coaching the Patriots this year with the talent they have.............

What do the past four years have to do with this year? A QB in the NFL never had a bad season or two before having a good season again? He's Brett Friggin' Favre!

What do the past four years have to do with this year? A QB in the NFL never had a bad season or two before having a good season again? He's Brett Friggin' Favre!

Well you said having Brett Farve is making McCarthy's success easier. I disagree the way Brett is playing this year reminds you of the Holmgren days. You could even go so far to say Brett hasn't looked this good since McCarthy was QB Coach. I would equate the success of Green Bay more to McCarthy then Brett. I also understand that Green Bays defense is much improved from years past.

Brett Farve would make any coach look good, but he has done well building a team through the draft, or is that the Gm

I was also thinking this weekend: How different would the fate of the Saints have been if Haslett had had the courage to do what Del Rio did: Bag his starting quarterback in favor of a back-up who had less experience but more promise? Gutsy move by Del Rio that paid off big-time. Garrard is a really impressive young QB.

he did. He "bagged" Jeff Blake in favor of a back up who had less experience but more promise: Aaron Brooks.

McCarthy is obviously a good fit in Green Bay with the coaches and players he has. He obviously has the ability to get the most out of a top veteran QB. Eventually we will see with Rodgers whether he can develop an unproven QB any better than he did with Brooks, which was ok but not great. With the performance he is getting, he must be a better motivator and leader than Haz. But I dont think he has proven yet that he is the dynamic head coach that will succeed with almost any tools you can give him. If his defensive coaches become a weakness through attrition, will he hang onto them too long? If he gets a young mobile QB will he try to turn him into a pocket passer? If his team disappoints greatly for a few weeks, will he panic? He is doing better than expected and should make the super bowl, but we have yet to see enough to know if he will ultimately be a success as a head coach.

Everyone on this board used to joke about how he was so predictable they could call his plays before he called them. How he was way too conservative.

Now eveyone thinks hes an amazing coach? The Packers team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and has one of the greatest QB's ever. Mike deserves credit, but he isn't suddenly cleared of blame while he was here because he is suceeding somewhere else.

But couldnt there be another explanation? Maybe that the fans were completely wrong? I´ve pointed that out since the day he left the Saints: The only group of people who didnt like McCarthy were the Saints fans. He was highly respected everywhere else.

If you listened to Saints fans nothing that happened over the last 3 years made sense. There was guy who fans said was a terrible OC. Who should be the QB coach at best (I remember very well how fans here said that anybody else would be an upgrade over McCarthy). And this guy not just doesnt get fired, no - Haslett even wanted to keep him. He spoke of a bidding war that might ensue for his services! How could there be a bidding war for a terrible OC?

We all know what happened then. McCarthy did find a job quickly and he did get a raise - the 49ers doubled his salary. The Packers made him HC, he rejuvenated Brett Farve and look where McCarthy is now. How could that happen if he was such a bad coach?

If you listened to the so-called "experts" this is no surprise at all. Of course nobody could have predicted that McCarthy would be so succesful so soon. But Haslett said that he`d be highly sought after - and McCarthy was. He got the raise and he became the HC that people said he would be.

Im not saying "I told you so" - I didnt. I just quoted other people. I find it very interesting that other people could "see" something fans apparently couldnt. And I wonder if history isnt repating itself again because people here harshly criticize a coach who is considered to be one of the best play-callers in the NFL.

I think he done a good job but i saw you should know that green bay got easy schedule + got great defense + got lucky with R. Grant + B. Farve unreal season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom