N/S Mike McCarthy In The NFC Championship & The Favorite... (1 Viewer)

DeucesWild

Im right your wrong
Reaction score
This just really soaked in..........I honestly laughed when I heard he was hired as the Packers head coach. I thought he would completely fail in Green Bay and they would be hiring a new head coach in 3 years. As you can see I was completely wrong. This year he has done a great job managing the team and the players. With the distractions of Brett Farve's records and the lack of run game in the begging of the season he really did a masterful job weathering those situations. Hats off to Mike McCarthy.

I have quite a few friends on this board that used to bag on me because I always liked the guy. Way back in 03 I told my buddies that the guy should have been the head coach but was being held back by Hazbeen and Brooks. In retrospect what he did with the saints offense including AB is nothing short of a miracle.

The forecast for Sunday in Green Bay is sunny with a high near 7.

I used to dog him, too, but obviously the problem was the signal-caller (Brooks), not the play-caller (McCarthy). His low-key approach seems to play well with that team.

I was also thinking this weekend: How different would the fate of the Saints have been if Haslett had had the courage to do what Del Rio did: Bag his starting quarterback in favor of a back-up who had less experience but more promise? Gutsy move by Del Rio that paid off big-time. Garrard is a really impressive young QB.

Rich, he hardly ever did that. I know a good craftsman never blames his tools but in the case of AB........

um, mccarthy is the one that actively pushed the organization to trade for brooks.. he's the sole reason we had brooks..
to that credit though.. brooks prior to the shoulder injury was a pretty good passer.. hight td/int ratio. Granted, he should have been put on sidelines and got that shoulder fixed/rehabbed before playing again. that and loosing fontenot, roaf, turley, maybe naole did him in. OF course, fans will just hate on cause he smiled after bad things.. I dont' give a rats butt how they handle things as long as they perform on the field.

um, mccarthy is the one that actively pushed the organization to trade for brooks.. he's the sole reason we had brooks..
to that credit though.. brooks prior to the shoulder injury was a pretty good passer.. hight td/int ratio. Granted, he should have been put on sidelines and got that shoulder fixed/rehabbed before playing again. that and loosing fontenot, roaf, turley, maybe naole did him in. OF course, fans will just hate on cause he smiled after bad things.. I dont' give a rats butt how they handle things as long as they perform on the field.

I somewhat agree about AB, but as time has gone on, I've found myself admitting that he was part of the problem. I'm glad he's gone, for his sake and the sake of the franchise, but not exactly happy that he's out of a league. But oh well I suppose.

As for McCarthy. He seems to be a much better manager than coach. It's a bit of revisionist history to say that he was unsuccessful solely b/c of Brooks and Haslett. C'mon. This was the master of the "run, run, slant, punt." Toward the end of his Saints tenure, I used to call his plays like I scripted them. He lost the innovative approach he showed during his first two years. He got stale and his offense was very ho-hum in Frisco. He's playing with better parts now, yes, but he's also no longer at the wheel. That's the most important part. He's just the manager. He's doing a great job in that role though.

kc2000, also please remember that the saints led the nfc in scoring one year even with AB at the healm. In other words MM was a miracle worker.

Mccarthy was an excellent offensive coordinator. The reason he brought brooks in from GB was because he was QB coach there in 99, where Favre posted some of the best stats of his career. Why wouldn't his success (and Favre's) in GB not make any sense?

A bad OC doesn't make playmakers like Joe Horn fall out of the sky, either. It's been said here a million times, but Brooks had all the physical tools to be a top flight NFL QB, and I'm sure the "coach" in Mccarthy was thinking Brooks would develop the mental aspect of his game. It's really not that big of a mystery, folks. AB is a near hit that just didn't pan out.

so.. for all you Mccarthy haters out there... give it a rest. The blame for this franchise's failures during the Haz years rests solely on the shoulders of Jimbo, and chalk Mike's success to learning from all the mistakes around him.

I, for one, am happy for the guy.

Correct amundo

Mccarthy was an excellent offensive coordinator. The reason he brought brooks in from GB was because he was QB coach there in 99, where Favre posted some of the best stats of his career. Why wouldn't his success (and Favre's) in GB not make any sense?

A bad OC doesn't make playmakers like Joe Horn fall out of the sky, either. It's been said here a million times, but Brooks had all the physical tools to be a top flight NFL QB, and I'm sure the "coach" in Mccarthy was thinking Brooks would develop the mental aspect of his game. It's really not that big of a mystery, folks. AB is a near hit that just didn't pan out.

so.. for all you Mccarthy haters out there... give it a rest. The blame for this franchise's failures during the Haz years rests solely on the shoulders of Jimbo, and chalk Mike's success to learning from all the mistakes around him.

I, for one, am happy for the guy.

McCarthy was a great offensive coach who had the unfortunate experience of coaching under a head coach who should have never benn a head a head coach and its painfully obvious at this point Jim Haslett is no head coach.

Im happy for him to have success with Green Bay and he would have been a much better head coach here in New Orleans than hasbeen.

Everyone on this board used to joke about how he was so predictable they could call his plays before he called them. How he was way too conservative.

Now eveyone thinks hes an amazing coach? The Packers team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and has one of the greatest QB's ever. Mike deserves credit, but he isn't suddenly cleared of blame while he was here because he is suceeding somewhere else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom