N/S NFL fines Ray Lewis $25,000 for hit on Ochocinco (1 Viewer)

Jetsfan115

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
NFL fines Ray Lewis $25,000 for hit on Ochocinco

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)—The NFL fined Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis(notes) $25,000 on Friday for two separate plays, including a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco(notes).
The Ravens said Lewis will appeal the fine.

Both plays occurred in the fourth quarter of Baltimore’s 17-14 loss on Sunday. The league deemed that Lewis “unnecessarily kicked the opponent” and later “unnecessarily struck a defenseless receiver.”
During the latter play, Lewis hit Ochocinco after a pass from Carson Palmer(notes) sailed incomplete, and the 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness helped set up the winning touchdown with 22 seconds remaining.
Ochocinco lost his helmet during the collision, but immediately popped up from the turf. After the game, the boisterous receiver used his Twitter account to ask NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for leniency.
“Please don’t fine Ray Lewis Mr. Roger Goodell, it was a clean hit, it’s part of the game, save the fines for me,” Ochocinco wrote.
Asked Wednesday if he expected to be fined, Lewis replied, “Probably.”
But the standout middle linebacker said that’s just how he plays the game.
“If I had to change anything, I would do it the same way I’ve done it,” Lewis said. “I will never slow down my speed, the way I play this game. I’ve never played this game to hurt anybody.
“But the bottom line is, when I turn to go, I’m like a missile. When I’m locked in, I’m locked in. Whatever’s there is there. Worrying about fines and all that, I’ll let that take care of itself. The NFL does a great job with that. You call them and discuss it with them.”
On Friday, Lewis said, “I’m not talking about no fine.”
Coach John Harbaugh said, “I’m disappointed. You hate to see that.”
Asked about the play in which Lewis allegedly kicked a player, Harbaugh said, “It was an inadvertent trip that happened.”
Harbaugh added: “Ray Lewis is a tough, a physical guy. Ray Lewis is also as a great a sportsman as I’ve met. He plays good, clean football. I guarantee you the shot on Ochocinco was in the strike zone. I want to stand behind Ray in that sense.”

I actually back Ray on this. The NFL is going to far, IMO.

I havent seen a replay of the hit, but I remember thinking at the time that it looked clean to me.

it was clean. and ochocinco put his helmet back on and went back to the huddle. he knew it was clean too. ray is a tough hard but clean player. it kind of sucks... i didnt see the alleged 'kick' but the hit on chad johnson to me is what football is all about.

It's a clean hit, but there's a difference between making a tackle and trying to decapitate the guy. They aren't going to allow a "defenseless" receiver to be killed like that.

If Lewis even had his hands up he wouldn't have been fined. It just looked like he was trying to hurt him.

I saw those two plays and I truly believe the fines are well founded. The Ochocinco one especially. That was a dirty hit, and I don't care who he is. He knows better then that.

Furthermore, it was a bonehead thing to do. He probably was to blame for the loss.

it was clean. and ochocinco put his helmet back on and went back to the huddle. he knew it was clean too. ray is a tough hard but clean player. it kind of sucks... i didnt see the alleged 'kick' but the hit on chad johnson to me is what football is all about.

No he didn't. He sat there and yelled at Ray for as long as he could, but eventually had to go back into the huddle for the next play. Don't make things up to support your position. It wasn't clean at all.

That was not a clean hit and if Ochocinco would've broke his jaw which a few hits similar to that one have done in the past then all of these "That was a clean hit" comments wouldn't exist. The rule is there for a reason, it's just like stop signs. Somebody could run a stop sign 10 times, but on that eleventh time they hit a vehicle and kill everyone it it. The rule is there as protection for the possibility that someone could get seriously injured, so what if they aren't injured everytime.

I used to be like "Yeah, that was a good hit" and stuff, but some of y'all remember that I got my leg twisted and snapped on a late hit cheap shot earlier this year so I am passionate about the rules that are put in place to protect the players.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4KZnxHFrVk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4KZnxHFrVk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's a clean hit? Leading with your helmet? Not.

I wouldn't say it was a clean hit, but it's Ray Lewis. I'd love to have a player with that kind of intensity on our defense. I guarantee Chad was watching for Ray next time he went over the middle.

the title is misleading.. he was fined for two of his hits that game. Only one on Chad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom