N/S NFL Reportedly Will Hire 17 Full Time Officals In 2017 (1 Viewer)

About time... Whats that, 1 per game? Hopefully that at least means primetime and playoff crews.

Not exactly sure what this solves.

The improvements are going to come from rules ratifications, expanding reviewable plays, and going all out with technology upgrades.

Making refs full-time and having them watch more film or whatever isn't going to magically make them better or improve their eye sight.

Hopefully....they will all become full time. The NFL will probably take 20 more years to get this right.

Yes there is. They had the latest CBA in 2012. Don't you remember the replacement refs at the start of that season?

Not exactly sure what this solves.

The improvements are going to come from rules ratifications, expanding reviewable plays, and going all out with technology upgrades.

Making refs full-time and having them watch more film or whatever isn't going to magically make them better or improve their eye sight.
Well, to start, accountability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well, to start, accountability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So you think making refs full-time will suddenly make them try harder to not make wrong calls?

These are some of the most experienced and well-trained men (and women) already; with the complexities of today's game, this is just a very hard sport to officiate. The players are just bigger and much faster now, there are tougher standards on certain calls, there is more to regulate as a result of the "protection rules," and lastly - the calls are way more scrutinized now and bad calls are under a much larger microscope than they were in the pre-internet and pre-twitter days.

I just don't think this step is that significant in fixing the issue. This doesn't do anything to me. The other major sports' officials are full-time because they play all during the week. What will full-time NFL officials do outside of Sunday's? Watch tape?

I'm a proponent of easing up on rules (example - only call P.I. if it is blatant), along with major technology upgrades in regards to available camera angles and maybe some sort of infrared lasers in the end zone, first down markers, and out of bounds and maybe some sort of technology like tennis where the out of bounds lines are computerized for replays.

I also believe in Bill Bilichek's "everything is reviewable" proposal. Make everything reviewable and cut back on the TV timeouts to make up for the potential few minutes added to games since it would now be very likely that coaches would use their full allotment of challenges each game. I don't mind watching an extra 10 minutes of football if it means the chances of a game being decided by a bogus call are minimized.

Bradford immediately complained to official Tony Corrente, who motioned to Bradford that the hit only occurred on Bradford's shoulder pad.

"He told me I did not get hit in the facemask," Bradford said after the game.

Replays showed that the officials clearly missed the call. While Bradford was tight-lipped about the missed call, Vikings defensive end Brian Robison was animated in the locker room, complaining about the lack of holding calls and the missed call on Minnesota's final offensive play.

"I'm sick and tired of the ref-ing in this league," Robison said. "I'm sick and tired of it. You've got holding calls all over the place that people don't want to call. Bradford gets hit in the face at the end of the game and you don't call it. I'm not laying this loss on the refs. At some point, it's got to get better ... At the end of the game Bradford gets hit in the face and it doesn't get called.

"This has been building up over the last few weeks," Robison continued. "I know I'm probably going to get fined, but at some point, somebody has to stand up and say something."

This call did not decide the outcome of the game on its own. The Vikings would have been given another opportunity to convert the two-point conversion, and it's far from guaranteed they would have converted, much less won in a potential overtime. But Minnesota fans have every right to be upset that their team didn't get their opportunity on a night the Vikings defense stood tall.

This latest controversy over a missed call comes on the same day Troy Vincent, the league's vice president of football operations, told The Associated Press the NFL is planning to eventually hire as many as 17 full-time officials.

NFL Network's Rich Eisen suggested after the game that plays like this should be reviewable in the final two minutes, something the NFL's Competition Committee could eventually consider. The league wants to get the call right and protect the quarterback, and neither happened on Bradford's final throw.

From another article that mentions the hiring of the 17 full time officials. Even if it's one full time official per game and one in the Replay HQ or whatever, there needs to be some accountability and these guys should be in charge of replay and being able to even overrule the head official - if Eisens's proposal for pretty much anything potentially game changing that occurs in the final two minutes to be reviewable gains any traction.

The Vikings got hosed on that call and it cost them the chance to even win the game. I think we know the feeling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom