N/S - Norv Turner, Vikings OC resigns (1 Viewer)

Well that's strange. Either there is some turmoil there and they are on the verge of crumbling or they gave him the option to resign instead of being canned.

Wasn't he getting a lot of high praise early on not only for Teddy Bridgewater's development, but also with helping Sam Bradford come in and start on such short notice?

This is very weird. I get that the last 2 games were a bit of a reality check, but this seems extreme.

weird - has there ever been a firing/resigning from a +.700% team?

In football, probably not...........but the Cavs did have the best record in the Eastern conference last year before that infamous firing.

Pat Shurmur is taking over as OC, according to Rapoport.

Tony Sparano is on staff as well.

I do know there was a lot of talk about how bad the OL has been playing. Maybe that?

Haven't had a 100 yard rusher or 300 yard passer... Defense has been playing dominant.

It's probably because his offense is so reliant on 5 and 7 step drops, and this team is incapable of running it due to terrible pass blocking. I remember last year he was criticized for continuing to call deep drops even through Bridgewater was getting hit on like 75% of those plays. Fast forward to this year and Bradford has been sacked 11 times in the past 2 games.

I've always thought Turner was a bit overrated. His success with the Cowgirls back in the day came on a team built by the Herschel Walker trade, not so much by coaching. He was nothing special with the Redskins and has been on that merry-go-round of coaching insiders who get jobs fairly easily.

This is strange. He is a really good OC.

Ridiculous speculation moment....maybe he wanted to bench Bradford.

It certainly looks like it could be Bradford-related. Maybe not benching but perhaps he wanted to do certain things and Bradford resisted . . . and Zimmer supported Bradford.

I suspect it's most likely due to some kind of disagreement with Zimmer about offense and Zimmer's view won out . . . to the detriment of the team with two weeks of awful offensive performance. Turner says "we have to do it my way" and Zimmer says no, so Turner walks.

Just speculation but it's unusual for the OC of a 5-2 team to resign unless that kind of direct disagreement with the HC was happening.

It's probably because his offense is so reliant on 5 and 7 step drops, and this team is incapable of running it due to terrible pass blocking. I remember last year he was criticized for continuing to call deep drops even through Bridgewater was getting hit on like 75% of those plays. Fast forward to this year and Bradford has been sacked 11 times in the past 2 games.

You might be on to something.

It certainly looks like it could be Bradford-related. Maybe not benching but perhaps he wanted to do certain things and Bradford resisted . . . and Zimmer supported Bradford.

I suspect it's most likely due to some kind of disagreement with Zimmer about offense and Zimmer's view won out . . . to the detriment of the team with two weeks of awful offensive performance. Turner says "we have to do it my way" and Zimmer says no, so Turner walks.

Just speculation but it's unusual for the OC of a 5-2 team to resign unless that kind of direct disagreement with the HC was happening.

I think you and the poster above are spot on about the insistence on a certain scheme but without the personnel to pull it off. Can't continue to call deep shots where the QB holds the ball for 4-5 secs while the route develops only to get crushed. Chances are they would have lost bradford at some point in this season if they didn't make the move.

If the o-coordinator doesn't want to adjust well then you have to remove him and go in the direction of someone with a different philosophy which is what looks to have happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom