N/S: OBJ wants out of Cleveland rumor? (1 Viewer)

Yes, he is an amazing talent, but a complete "me first guy" and I do not root for those guys..
This is what I think as well. And it sucks because he didn't give off that vibe at all when he was at LSU. Then he gets to the NFL and is more concerned with dancing on camera pre-game, being hailed in the media as the best ever because he made a spectacular catch, etc.. But when the going gets rough, he only cares about himself, his targets, his stats and not helping his team win games. The temper tantrum he had where he ended up getting his butt whooped by the kicking net was the last straw for me. And now he's doing stupid things to get attention like wearing $100K watches during games and saying he's going to do it every week in his first game with a new team. I bet Jarvis Landry isn't exactly happy with his friend either.

This is what I think as well. And it sucks because he didn't give off that vibe at all when he was at LSU. Then he gets to the NFL and is more concerned with dancing on camera pre-game, being hailed in the media as the best ever because he made a spectacular catch, etc..
this is point i am trying to indicate
to a certain degree we are all products of our environment
so if a person's behavior changes when they change environments, the environment at least has to be considered

plus i get the sense that 'diva' WRs tend to get lumped together and all are found guilt or each other's behavior - i would hate for us to pass over a Randy Moss, Jr just because of 'antics'

This is what I think as well. And it sucks because he didn't give off that vibe at all when he was at LSU.

It actually started midway through their time at LSU.

When they arrived in Baton Rouge in the summer of 2011, Landry was the star prospect, the No. 15 player in the country out of Lutcher with all the confidence to go with it. Beckham was a less-talked-about four-star from Uptown New Orleans who kept to himself. They had already become close friends after meeting on the 7-on-7 circuit in high school. Now, the rest of the world was going to meet them.

“Jarvis was completely what Odell is now, and Odell was completely what Jarvis is now,” former LSU kicker James Hairston said.

Landry was obnoxious and outgoing and cocky. He was a five-star, and he carried himself like he expected to contribute to the No. 4 Tigers immediately. That quickly irritated some teammates.

Beckham, though. Well, nobody really knew much about him. He was just another guy, another four-star in a program that always had top-10 signing classes. He was quiet. He was reserved. “I don’t remember Odell being any way like he is now,” quarterback Jarrett Lee said. “He was super shy, super quiet, totally different from what he is now.” Stand-offish was how Marucci would describe him, at least until Marucci got to him.

Then sometime after his freshman year:

Beckham was becoming a celebrity, and he was loving it.

This was also as LSU punter Brad Wing was building his own popular reputation, and Beckham and Wing became friends. “It was kind of contagious, and Odell started to take on that form,” Dworaczyk said. He changed his number from his father’s No. 33 to No. 3 “to make my own name.” Then came the tattoos and the changes to his hair. He was being himself. Teammates started wondering if he was hanging with the right people. At one point, Moffitt banned Rue from the LSU facilities.

“He was doing what every college kid does,” Hairston said. “He was trying to find his crew, and the crew that he finds are outside people that are praising him, that are giving him attention he didn’t otherwise have.”

But the attention was coming fast, and he fed off it.

Landry, on the other hand, didn’t love the crowds and all the attention. He generally went to school, went to football ops and came home. “Jarvis was more chill, out of the spotlight,” Louis said. “He was a real grinder. Always had a chip on his shoulder or something to prove.”

It actually started midway through their time at LSU.

When they arrived in Baton Rouge in the summer of 2011, Landry was the star prospect, the No. 15 player in the country out of Lutcher with all the confidence to go with it. Beckham was a less-talked-about four-star from Uptown New Orleans who kept to himself. They had already become close friends after meeting on the 7-on-7 circuit in high school. Now, the rest of the world was going to meet them.

“Jarvis was completely what Odell is now, and Odell was completely what Jarvis is now,” former LSU kicker James Hairston said.

Landry was obnoxious and outgoing and cocky. He was a five-star, and he carried himself like he expected to contribute to the No. 4 Tigers immediately. That quickly irritated some teammates.

Beckham, though. Well, nobody really knew much about him. He was just another guy, another four-star in a program that always had top-10 signing classes. He was quiet. He was reserved. “I don’t remember Odell being any way like he is now,” quarterback Jarrett Lee said. “He was super shy, super quiet, totally different from what he is now.” Stand-offish was how Marucci would describe him, at least until Marucci got to him.

Then sometime after his freshman year:

Beckham was becoming a celebrity, and he was loving it.

This was also as LSU punter Brad Wing was building his own popular reputation, and Beckham and Wing became friends. “It was kind of contagious, and Odell started to take on that form,” Dworaczyk said. He changed his number from his father’s No. 33 to No. 3 “to make my own name.” Then came the tattoos and the changes to his hair. He was being himself. Teammates started wondering if he was hanging with the right people. At one point, Moffitt banned Rue from the LSU facilities.

“He was doing what every college kid does,” Hairston said. “He was trying to find his crew, and the crew that he finds are outside people that are praising him, that are giving him attention he didn’t otherwise have.”

But the attention was coming fast, and he fed off it.

Landry, on the other hand, didn’t love the crowds and all the attention. He generally went to school, went to football ops and came home. “Jarvis was more chill, out of the spotlight,” Louis said. “He was a real grinder. Always had a chip on his shoulder or something to prove.”
good context

I think paying two receivers each about 20 million per year would silly. And I’m a big OBJ fan.

I’d MUCH rather pay Kamara, Lattimore, Ramczyk.

this is point i am trying to indicate
to a certain degree we are all products of our environment
so if a person's behavior changes when they change environments, the environment at least has to be considered

plus i get the sense that 'diva' WRs tend to get lumped together and all are found guilt or each other's behavior - i would hate for us to pass over a Randy Moss, Jr just because of 'antics'
You are who you are, no matter what the environment...my parents raised me to be a respectful, courteous, humble person, no matter the environment...I played sports my whole life until I couldn’t, and whether my team was wining or losing, whether I was was having a good day or bad, I treated everyone with respect and acted like an adult.
OBJ does not get a free pass in my book...no excuses for acting like the way he does...none.

cheers.

Well that didn’t take long. So he wasn’t happy in New York. He isn’t happy in Cleveland. There are two common denominators there. One is Beckham himself. The other is that both the Giants and Browns suck. Would a winning environment be what he needs. He was OK when he was at LSU so i don’t know. The thought of Beckham and Thomas opposite of each other is pretty good to think about but man some of the crazy stuff that comes with him is worrisome. If he went to a college that wasn’t LSU, would we be having this discussion? I don’t know. I lean toward not going after him or giving him a short term show me contract. I definitely would not trade draft picks for him.

I think paying two receivers each about 20 million per year would silly. And I’m a big OBJ fan.

I’d MUCH rather pay Kamara, Lattimore, Ramczyk.

Exactly, show me a team where they have 2 of the highest paid WR's and contend and I'm all for it!!!!!!

Ignoring the baseless nature of the rumor for a moment, there is the tiny matter of an obscenely inflated contract attached to said player. We won't pay c. $35m a season for 2x WR.

And spare the 'Loomis magic' fantasies on this one. That number isn't going away.

We're going to need the future salary cap pennies to retain our own talented core.

We're on to San Francisco.

Last edited:
You are who you are, no matter what the environment...my parents raised me to be a respectful, courteous, humble person, no matter the environment...I played sports my whole life until I couldn’t, and whether my team was wining or losing, whether I was was having a good day or bad, I treated everyone with respect and acted like an adult.
OBJ does not get a free pass in my book...no excuses for acting like the way he does...none.

cheers.
Your 2nd sentence contradicts your first

I usually don't post much, but, I gave a "meh" also.

Not because i do not think we need a second option at the WR position (for the record, we have some pretty good non-WR options in Kamara and Cook), but only because I do not want OBJ anywhere near our team.

Yes, he is talented, but he is a diva and someone I do not think for the long run helps us win the ultimate prize. How has he helped NY and CLE do this? For that matter, he is a #1 or #2 for them and where are they? Yes, he is an amazing talent, but a complete "me first guy" and I do not root for those guys...let him stay in Cleveland and rot with his me first, DBag QB in Mayfield...they are made for each other.

So, meh...we need an upgrade at WR, but not him.

Happy Holidays.

Thank you for being so respectful man :)

I just feel that the same fans who screams no to OBJ are the same fans that would be screaming, “it’s not fair!” If OBJ gets traded to the Patriots in the offseason

The Patriots don't have a $20M/yr receiver already on the books.

His skillset is needed and maybe a change in scenery to a more stable team with a veteran QB and a no nonsense coach might be what he needs. Randy Moss' Oakland years were bad and he was called pretty much everything under the sun, but he went to the Pats and was a professional and had 98 receptions and 23 were TDs in his first season.

Considering the price tag associated with OBJ and the uncertainty of which OBJ you get, it might be better just to find the WR who is molding his game after OBJ.

Where's the super athletic WR with sub 4.3 speed who can catch pretty much anything that has MT's worth ethic and demeanor?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom