N/S - Offensive Coordinators / HC's Ego vs a QB's Ability to Make Decisions (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had a random musing a few days ago and figured it may spawn an interesting discussion.

I find it very interesting that some QB's are allowed to make Audibles or call a play and others are not. It made me wonder why is that? Is it that some QB's can't handle that? Is it that some OC/HC's just are too stubborn? Is the offense too "slow" to handle 2-3 plays called at once and the QB checks out of or into the best one based on coverage?

I mean, the OC/HC can only talk to the QB for 20-30 seconds, then the last 15-20 (I forget the exact time), is radio silence. So why not allow the QB to make a good read?

Drew Brees called out the 4th quarter and any other time we ran a hurry up. That's amazing. Brees, Brady, Manning all check out of plays based on the defense.

I heard that one of the Rookie QB's (forget if it was Newton or Dalton) checked out of a play. So, even a rookie with no Minicamp is able to basically tell their OC, "no, bad call, I got something better based on the defense" and it's ok.

So, all this is building up to my question about Jay Cutler not being allowed to Audible out of plays. He said as much in an interview about the lack of a run game, etc and he said you'd have to talk to Martz, he's not allowed to call plays or audible out of them. And of course, he got abused in week 3 as well.

Is Cutler not a smart or good enough QB to do it? Is Martz not allowing it? What the heck? I mean, we were killing them in week 2, after the 3rd or 4th sack, I'd check out into a run or a short pass to slow down the pass rush. Why can't Cutler take the reigns when needed? How many other QB's are in this situation? We expect a QB to be the leader, so why not let them lead?

It sure makes me appreciate what we have here in New Orleans, but it was just a question I had. The fact Payton trusts Brees to take over from time to time says a lot about both men. Brees' ability and Payton's trust and lack of Ego in critical moments, despite people saying he has a huge ego.

And sticking with the Bears for a sec, isn't Urlacher allowed to change up the defensive call? Seems very odd to have two different philosophies, unless there is a major lack of trust.

Thoughts?

In Cutler's case, I think it's just that Martz is an egomaniacal &%^^@...

Others, well...... :idunno:

Trust is the key that you mentioned. Not all coaches trust their QB to make that correct adjustment, and sometimes they just refuse to believe they called the wrong play, or the right play but wrong for the defense that is in front of them.

In Cutler's case, I think it's just that Martz is an egomaniacal &%^^@...

Others, well...... :idunno:

Agree - Cutler was allowed to audible with the Broncos. Martz are just known for getting his QB's killed. Look what happened to Warner & Bulger.

An interesting stat - during Martz 2 years with Lions as OC, Kitna was sacked 63 and 51 times !

Another scary thing I remembered when researching Martz, was that he interviewed for the HC position with the Saints in 2006. :covri:

Thank you sooo much Loomis for hiring Payton even though he had never been a HC and keeping that disaster FAR away from Nola. :worthy:

Trust is the key that you mentioned. Not all coaches trust their QB to make that correct adjustment, and sometimes they just refuse to believe they called the wrong play, or the right play but wrong for the defense that is in front of them.

no doubt...also defenses can morph at the snap. The defense you saw pre-snap may not be the same at the snap. So the QB has to process that, along with the play called and figure out, based on the defense now, who will be the open guy.

In just under 3 seconds to avoid a sack.

Which makes the abilities of Drew, Peyton, Brady and a few others that much more remarkable.

Cutler is a pretty smart kid, Im sure its Martz being an egomaniac.

Martz is the reason Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger became shell shocked QB's. Warner was able to over come it eventually after he left, but not Bulger. Martz system relies on the QB to hold on the ball way too long, and I don't think he's don't a real good job of adapting to how fast defenses are today.

One thing I give Sean Payton a lot of credit for is when he designs a play, the first thing he thinks about is how to keep his QB protected.

Sean Payton says he usually gives Brees about 3-5 plays in one particular personnel package, and he can change to which ever one at presnap.

there might also be the element of qbs being easier to scout
if the qb isn't always going over and over plays and being disciplined about changing things up, they might always check to their favorites - so when you see a qb audible in a particular formation there might only be one of two plays that the qb is going to run -- easier to defend

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom