N/S: Overtime In The XFL Will Be A 2-Point Shootout With 44 Players On The Field (1 Viewer)

XLR8

Very Banned
Reaction score

Well this might be interesting to watch.

What's the XFL? Is that the Arena football league or is it new. Thx much!!! Who Dat!

Well it did not get off to a good start but it is back. I suggest watching the 30for30 documentary on the league.

I give this like 10 games before folding, and I'm taking the under.

Looks like they got enough money for the first year

McMahon can stream the games on his own networks. That may actually save them some money.

Last edited:
How do you officiate 44 players? Can’t even get it right with 11 on 11

So there are 8 officials in most football games. Keep in mind that in this scenario, there is a much shorter field to officiate. I'd imagine they could get by with 4 officials on each side and maybe just make the head ref the one guy that has to run/walk back and forth as a 5th official.

I mean, did they run some tests with this before implementing it? I'd certainly hope so. If not, stuff like this will doom the league - again. 44 guys on the field at once just seems impossible to officiate. May as well make it rules free and let them have pipes and bats. That I'd pay to see.

I still don't get it:

In the interview XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said 44 players would be on the field simultaneously during a shoot-out style overtime. Each team's offense and defense would be on opposite ends of the field in an overtime that would last as little as four minutes in order to keep the game within a three-hour limit.

Luck said each team will have five opportunities to convert a two-point conversion in the overtime session. The defense would score one point with a turnover.

Does the ball get placed at midfield and both teams rush to grab it like in dodgeball?

Me too. I’m guessing it will sort of be like Rugby?

It will be like a soccer shoot out with both teams offense and defense on the end of each side of the field. Each team alternates an attempt at a 2 point conversion until someone wins. Each team gets a maximum of 5 attempts. A turnover is 1 point to the defense. It's supposed to be able to take place in like about ten minutes tops or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom