N/S Pac-12 head official accused of targeting Arizona head coach (1 Viewer)

ccmiked

Rookie
Reaction score
Report: Pac-12 head of officials targeted Arizona coach

Maybe it's just me being a sensitive Saints fan but did anyone else slightly relate this article to the "bounty scandal"? I say this because the head official made comments to other officials that if they rang the Arizona coach up (gave him a technical) or tossed him out of the game during the conference tournament game, he would give them $5,000 or a trip to Cancun. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement:

"Based on the review, we have concluded that while Rush made inappropriate comments that he now regrets during internal meetings that referenced rewards, he made the comments in jest and the officials in the room realized they were not serious offers. Following our review, we have discussed the matter with Rush, taken steps to ensure it does not happen again, and communicated our findings to all of our officials."

So, the PAC-12 commissioner stated that he was just joking around and to drop it as they were not serious offers. But our defensive coordinator who says crazy things to rile up his players which he is well known for, develops a pay for performance system where money is put in (NFL said bounty but that was never confirmed), and we have players and coaches suspended, along with draft picks taken and fines to boot. Just funny how Rush is innocent because it was in jest but the Saints were guilty regardless of the proof behind it.

The worst part was, the Arizona coach actually did get hit with a technical foul - of questionable legitimacy - unlike the Saints who actually had a low injury rate to opponents.

I just kept thinking to myself as I heard the story, if this was the NFL, Roger would have quashed the whole thing and it never would have gotten out to begin with.

I cannot believe they have not fired him.

Makes me wonder if this is widespread. And it really calls into question the integrity of college basketball.

Makes me wonder if this is widespread. And it really calls into question the integrity of college basketball.

Is this really surprising though?
Oregon vs Oklahoma in football
Huskies vs BYU in football
Here is some fun reading:

Pac-10 Football Officiating: The Worst In Any League In Any Sport | Rumors and Rants

And

Pac-12 Football Officiating Overhaul Begins: 11 Referees Fired - California Golden Blogs

This recent incedent is just as sick. I guess Rush just missed his old NBA fixing games ways.

. . . one day later, proving that everyone reads SR.com, he's gone.

Pac-12 Conference ref boss Ed Rush resigns after technical foul bounty scandal - ESPN

Had Rush not resigned or been fired, there was a good chance a mutiny among Pac-12 officials would have occurred. ESPN spoke with a number of officials from the conference on Thursday who requested anonymity for fear of assignment reprisals or loss of wages. A number of them told ESPN they were worried Rush would hold any comments over them. . . .

"Ed Rush doesn't joke," one official said. "To say it was a joke is absolutely not true. If he meant it in jest, then he had time to correct it the second day and he didn't. And the only coach he mentioned was Sean Miller."

Officials confirmed that Rush went into the meeting before the UCLA-Arizona game and was banging a chair up and down, demanding the officials perform at a higher level. And then, according to the officials, Rush hurled a boxed lunch against the wall after the game, nearly hitting one of the officials in the head.

"It was absolutely a form of bullying," one official said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom