N/S Panthers player literally drops a knee on the head of a Falcons Linebacker (1 Viewer)

Chris

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about the hit that Cam took at the goal line which caused him to go through concussion protocol. Pfft. As far as I'm concerned, he was a runner at that point and the hit he took wasn't with the crown of the helmet.

I thought I would shine the spotlight on Panther's player #74 Mike Remmers who appears to deliberately retaliate against the player who leveled Cam by dropping a flying knee on his head. There has been no mention of this play in the news or whether or not a punishment should be handed down.

WXoW2Xc.gif

That was a Suh-esque, plausible-deniability move there. I agree though, he did it on purpose in retaliation, but I don't think it can be proved definitively for league purposes. He played it off well as if he tripped.

Lot of mixed emotions on that. I just don't condone this kind of behavior. But you have to protect your QB. It's also the Falcons and Panthers killing each other, so....

I probably dislike Newton as much as anybody, and I know it's tough to make those close calls when you have a QB who runs like this....but it does seem like somehow it's open season on him, and they're letting people do it, the exact opposite of "superstar protection."

Maybe I'll switch over the WWE for the spontaneity of the unrehearsed competition and the integrity and competence of the officiating.

Lot of mixed emotions on that. I just don't condone this kind of behavior. But you have to protect your QB. It's also the Falcons and Panthers killing each other, so....

I probably dislike Newton as much as anybody, and I know it's tough to make those close calls when you have a QB who runs like this....but it does seem like somehow it's open season on him, and they're letting people do it, the exact opposite of "superstar protection."

Maybe I'll switch over the WWE for the spontaneity of the unrehearsed competition and the integrity and competence of the officiating.

On this particular play, I'll put it on Cam. He appears to ease up and he gets hit right at the line, so it's legit. Cam didn't seem to make any effort to protect himself like any running back would do. It's like he assumed the linebacker would back off because he was close to the goal line.

As for Remmer - wasn't he the one with about 25 yards of penalties after the Panthers were given a gift pass interference in the endzone? All on one series and the Panthers pulled out a td anyway.

um...that was a goal line play - i get what you're saying but no one is trying to throw "remember me shots" at the goal line, they're trying to keep the dude from scoring - it wouldn't be any different if Mother Theresa were running the ball

plus the lineman clearly changed his angle to go after the defender - 60% chance of fine

It looks a little different to me I guess. My interpretation was that his thought process was "Oh Cam might regain his balance and the closest defender is getting back up. I can step in front of him and fall to keep him down rather than letting him get up quick enough to finish the tackle." I also didn't think the Falcon's player laid an aggregious hit at all. Just an unfortunate circumstance where both guys didn't have much room to break down, so they met each other standing up. If the Falcon player goes low, it's an easy arm extension score for Cam. As for the Panther, that's a creative way to shield a defender at a difficult angle and keep him down without garnering some stupid block in the back or holding penalty. Flying knee is a bit of a stretch there and probably an insult to Muy Thai lol.

What's Cam thinking there? That if he extends the ball he won't get hit?

I agree, it was sort of a strange hit, not obvious headhunting, and some of it is on Cam there; amazing how he physically responded to the hit. I thought I saw a little of "ooooh, a quarterback to hit" in the run-up, but it was at the goal line, so maybe I have a little confirmation bias here.

It looks a little different to me I guess. My interpretation was that his thought process was "Oh Cam might regain his balance and the closest defender is getting back up. I can step in front of him and fall to keep him down rather than letting him get up quick enough to finish the tackle." I also didn't think the Falcon's player laid an aggregious hit at all. Just an unfortunate circumstance where both guys didn't have much room to break down, so they met each other standing up. If the Falcon player goes low, it's an easy arm extension score for Cam. As for the Panther, that's a creative way to shield a defender at a difficult angle and keep him down without garnering some stupid block in the back or holding penalty. Flying knee is a bit of a stretch there and probably an insult to Muy Thai lol.

that is an EXTREMELY generous analysis of what might have been going on with Remmer

Remmer's knee shot looks dirty to me. Very dirty.

Cam does this kinda crap. He'll jog and strut into the endzone thinking he's got it in the bag. He deserves to be smacked for that. Similarly to what Mauti did to him.

As far as Remmers goes, he clearly changes direction after the hit on Cam and goes straight for the head/neck of the other guy. He had other options there, he wasn't even running that fast. I bet he gets a fine for it

That OL is NASTY! We need some of that nastiness on our own OL.

That OL is also dirty, which is different. Causing pain is a good thing, causing injury is not.

That O lineman needs to be fined heavily! Jones was complelty in his right to try to keep Cam from the endzone. It wasn't a cheap shot either. Cam saw him coming and decided not to protect himself.

That O lineman took a deliberate cheap shot and tried to take a guy out of the game with a Randy Orton kick to the head. That's insanely dangerous. Lucky nothing happened to Jones. That's not protecting your QB. That would be putting a shot to the body after the play. Not a punt to the head.

It looks a little different to me I guess. My interpretation was that his thought process was "Oh Cam might regain his balance and the closest defender is getting back up. I can step in front of him and fall to keep him down rather than letting him get up quick enough to finish the tackle."

Right...

I also didn't think the Falcon's player laid an aggregious hit at all. Just an unfortunate circumstance where both guys didn't have much room to break down, so they met each other standing up. If the Falcon player goes low, it's an easy arm extension score for Cam.

I'll give you that one, but let's not pretend like that helmet shot was accidental. Cam had already cost his team a first down at the start of the game for taunting. On the field, nobody likes this guy.

Flying knee is a bit of a stretch there and probably an insult to Muy Thai lol.

How is it a stretch? He literally left his feet and dropped a knee on the guy's head? I'll admit that I used "flying knee" for a bit of dramatic effect, but that's essentially what happened.

Cam does this kinda crap. He'll jog and strut into the endzone thinking he's got it in the bag. He deserves to be smacked for that. Similarly to what Mauti did to him.

As far as Remmers goes, he clearly changes direction after the hit on Cam and goes straight for the head/neck of the other guy. He had other options there, he wasn't even running that fast. I bet he gets a fine for it

100% agree with this assessment.

He wants to showboat his way into the end zone every time he gets near the goal line and now has been concussed twice for doing it. (It still amazes me that he didn't have to go through concussion protocol last year after Mauti's hit.)

It's open season on Cam Newton because he's a running quarterback who thinks he should get QB treatment even when he's obviously a runner outside of the pocket. He can't have it both ways.

As far as the Remmers knee to the head goes, I don't think it could be more blatant that he was taking a cheap shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom