N/S - Patriots receiver Wes Welker expects to play Sunday (1 Viewer)

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4498379
New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker expects to play Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.
Welker, who did not participate in practice Wednesday, was held out of last Sunday's loss to the Jets because of a knee injury. The Patriots offense went without a touchdown for the first time since Dec. 10, 2006.
Welker, 28, had played in every game the past four seasons. He has 223 catches for more than 2,300 yards and 11 touchdowns over the past two season.
In the season-opening win over the Buffalo Bills, he caught 12 passes for 93 yards.

Good news for us, bad new for the Falcons. Patriots are a passing team and they are a totally different passing team when Welker is in the lineup. Especially with a weak Falcons secondary.

i was hoping he's be able to play, that gives the Pats a much better chance to do us a favor.

I want him to play because i dont want any excuses if we win, but i dont want him to play because i dont want their offense any better than it already is. Eldeman sp? is not THAT much of a downgrade though so their offense is still going to put up some numbers.

Brady is more comfortable with Welker than any other receiver on that team. If he's healthy, I look for him torture the Falcons secondary. They have a pretty bad group pack there.

Falcons run D is also a bit suspect. They are giving up 120 rushing yards a game at about 5 yards a carry. It may be a bit off since they have played the Fins and the Panthers, both who are good running teams. If the Pats get their running game going, this may be the game.

Edelman is good but should be the 4th receiver at best, he has many things to work on, he is a rookie and never played wide receiver before. He was a quarterback at Kent State, he has the athleticism and hands, but the route running has to be worked on and the timing isnt their with Brady. Considering he was a college quarterback he has been doing pretty good.

So while he has potential to be almost as good as Welker, at this point it is kind of a big downgrade. Patriots offense is just not the same without Welker, he is a reliable guy to get the first down and the short underneath routes open up things downfield for Moss.

Knowing our luck Welker will be at like 60 percent against the Falcons and then 100 percent against us, but you never know. I think he is being rushed back too soon. He is used on a lot of short routes that require yards after the catch, he has to change direction quite a bit, I think it would be easy to reinjure it if he comes back too soon.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom