N/S: Patriots reveal starting trade price for Garoppolo (1 Viewer)

Just curious about which QB Sean has developed in the last 10-12 years. Drew? Would Drew have been another JT O'Sullivan had it not been for Sean? I tend to think Drew was destined to be a very good QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you go back and look at Drew's San Diego numbers. He certainly wasn't the QB he was from 2006 and on.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees

He never threw for more than 3,576 yards or 27 TD's in a single season, he only broke 100 in the QB rating once and threw 53 interceptions in 5 years in San Diego. Not to mention he was surrounded by an incredible running game starring LaDainian Tomlinson.

Additionally, Payton found and groomed Tony Romo out of Eastern Illinois as an UDFA.

I would suggest that you go back and look at Drew's San Diego numbers. He certainly wasn't the QB he was from 2006 and on.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees

He never threw for more than 3,576 yards or 27 TD's in a single season, he only broke 100 in the QB rating once and threw 53 interceptions in 5 years in San Diego. Not to mention he was surrounded by an incredible running game starring LaDainian Tomlinson.

Additionally, Payton found and groomed Tony Romo out of Eastern Illinois as an UDFA.

Romo was what? 13 years ago? And he didn't put up any substantial stats until Sean had been gone for a year?
Unless Wiki's stats are wrong, Romo had no stats at all during Sean's time in Dallas. One might suggest that Tony's coaches after Sean (parcels, Todd Haley and chris Palmer) had more to do with his development and success than Sean did. Maybe playing behind Drew Bledsoe was key. We don't know. What we do know is that Romo did nothing when Sean was his coach.

One might say Drew Bree's grooms head coaches. If not for Drew, what kind of track record do you think Sean would have here? Would he even still be here? Would he have ever won a championship?

In the last 10 years, Sean has groomed no one at QB of any significance. In spite of his flaws, I'm still a Sean fan, BUT I am not going to give him credit for being a great groomer of QB's. Drew Bree's fell in his lap. He was fortunate.

Was Phil Jackson a great groomer of NBA players or was Shaquille O'Neal, Magic and Michael Jordan just special athletes? I lean strongly to the latter.

The game has changed since Drew left SD. Every year the league becomes more and more passing oriented. Did Sean provide him with the opportunities to throw for 5k yards in a season 5 times? You bet he did, but slide 24 out of 25 QBs in to the same situation and they don't come close.

Drew and only Drew is responsible for his work ethic, leadership skills, accuracy, pocket decisions, etc. I tend to believe Drew has been better for Sean than Sean has been for Drew.

Romo was what? 15 years ago?

One might say Drew Bree's grooms head coaches. If not for Drew, what kind of track record do you think Sean would have here? Would he even still be here? Would he have ever won a championship?

In the last 10 years, Sean has groomed no one at QB of any significance. In spite of his flaws, I'm still a Sean fan, BUT I am not going to give him credit for being a great groomer of QB's. Drew Bree's fell in his lap. He was fortunate.

Was Phil Jackson a great groomer of NBA players or was Shaquille O'Neal, Magic and Michael Jordan just special athletes? I lean strongly to the latter.

The game has changed since Drew left SD. Every year the league becomes more and more passing oriented. Did Sean provide him with the opportunities to throw for 5k yards in a season 5 times? You bet he did, but slide 24 out of 25 QBs in to the same situation and they don't come close.

Drew and only Drew is responsible for his work ethic, leadership skills, accuracy, pocket decisions, etc. I tend to believe Drew has been better for Sean than Sean has been for Drew.
It's almost equal parts both. Drew was a stud at Purdue, then went to a Run First system in San Diego behind a future first ballot Hall of Fame RB Ladanian Tomlinson, and an oooold school system with Marty Schotenheimer as Head Coach. So naturally, Drew Brees isn't going to light up the stat line in a Run First system.

That being said, do you honestly think Drew Brees would have been a Hall of Fame QB had he went to the DOLPHINS (they were our prime contender to land Drew Brees that offseason)?

Dante Culpepper looked like a really good QB while he had Randy Moss as his #1 WR, but after Randy Moss left, he was less effective, and got hurt. My point is, personnel and coaching need certain combinations to win. Aaron Rodgers for all the media liking to suck on his nutter butters, has only won 1 Super Bowl. Eli Manning has won more than that, and nobody has EVER put Eli Manning in the upper tier of QBs in the league. It takes the right combination

To use your Phil Jackson analogy. Yeah, Phil had some incredible players through his career, but there were more players than JUST Michael Jordon and Kobe Bryant. Derek Fisher was such an important part of those Lakers teams, and you can credit Phil Jackson for giving us the best of Derek Fisher. He knew how to coach him, and knew what system to run with him at PG (Triangle Offense)

It's almost equal parts both. Drew was a stud at Purdue, then went to a Run First system in San Diego behind a future first ballot Hall of Fame RB Ladanian Tomlinson, and an oooold school system with Marty Schotenheimer as Head Coach. So naturally, Drew Brees isn't going to light up the stat line in a Run First system.

That being said, do you honestly think Drew Brees would have been a Hall of Fame QB had he went to the DOLPHINS (they were our prime contender to land Drew Brees that offseason)?

Dante Culpepper looked like a really good QB while he had Randy Moss as his #1 WR, but after Randy Moss left, he was less effective, and got hurt. My point is, personnel and coaching need certain combinations to win. Aaron Rodgers for all the media liking to suck on his nutter butters, has only won 1 Super Bowl. Eli Manning has won more than that, and nobody has EVER put Eli Manning in the upper tier of QBs in the league. It takes the right combination

To use your Phil Jackson analogy. Yeah, Phil had some incredible players through his career, but there were more players than JUST Michael Jordon and Kobe Bryant. Derek Fisher was such an important part of those Lakers teams, and you can credit Phil Jackson for giving us the best of Derek Fisher. He knew how to coach him, and knew what system to run with him at PG (Triangle Offense)

Fair enough...but I do believe that Drew Brees is a HOF caliber talent in NOLA or anywhere else (except Cleveland or some crap like that). Sean was fortunate and so was Drew. Sean provided the opportunity, Drew brought the ability. Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't credit Sean with "grooming" Drew...but I can credit Sean with realizing his ability and utilizing that talent accordingly. Drew brought high end ability and attitude with him. Drew was not a Prospect with potential that needed grooming.

As far as the NBA comparison goes...I will always believe that Shaq, Kobe, Magic and Jordan were better for Phil Jackson than he was for them. Those guys are elite talents. Drew is an elite talent...and I believe he has been the key to any success Sean can claim. Take Drew away from the picture and what kind of record do you think Sean has? Hell, with our consistent defensive failure, Drew had better throw for 5k per year, just so we can have 7 or 8 win seasons. Which brings up another question....is Sean giving Drew that opportunity by design or necessity?

This is great example of why the Pats (front office and fans) are so much smarter than the Saints and 30 other teams. They have a 39 year old hof quarterback and are ready to trade his replacement when we have a 37 year old hof quarterback leading the league in passing on an annual basis and ready to pull the plug on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom