N/S - Paul Tagliabue a 2017 HoF finalist (1 Viewer)

Tagliable deserves it, IMO. JJ...ugh. I don't think any active owner should be in the HOF.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think Jerry Jones deserves to be in the Hall. He is the catalyst for the League's worldwide reach today. The merchandising blitz, the TV deals, and the revenue would not be possible without him.

Taglibue deserves a spot too. He is the modern day Rozelle.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think Jerry Jones deserves to be in the Hall. He is the catalyst for the League's worldwide reach today. The merchandising blitz, the TV deals, and the revenue would not be possible without him.

I must agree; while Jones makes a handy villain, he has reshaped the NFL for good or bad.

I am rooting for Paul Taglibue. He helped keep the teams in New Orleans during the the darkest days of the city

I never hated Jerry Jones. I just find him entertaining. Seeing him try to run the team is hilarious sometime. But got to respect him for trying.

It's not that I disagree. I actually agree. But I don't believe any active owner should be a HaoF candidate.

It's not that I disagree. I actually agree. But I don't believe any active owner should be a HaoF candidate.

Then you'd likely be looking at a lot of owners being inducted posthumously.

I'm curious what your reasons are specifically behind barring active owners? And what about general managers?

I'm curious what your reasons are specifically behind barring active owners? And what about general managers?

I don't really have one. It's just a personal preference. And yes, GMs too.

That's fair. I was about to pull out the John Elway card, but he was a player first, of course, so doubtless an exception.

I don't have a preference, really. Except I lean more toward allowing it for avoiding posthumously and letting someone who earned it actually get to enjoy it and be honored.

I agree with this in theory...

...but this is the problem, imo.

And I have to agree with Jones. No matter your feelings about him, he's the owner of the highest valued NFL team - that takes something. Despite what appears to be some early stage Al Davis (RIP) decisions.

The HOF decided that a coach can't be inducted as a coach until retired for at least 5 yeas then the same should be applied to any GM or owner.

Jerry Jones, while not popular did more for the NFL save Al Davis or Art Model than any owner in NFL history (it was Model that got the NFL on TV). He is the one that fought for his team when all others thought about the collective good of the league. It's interesting that he and Tags are going in together when Jerry probably have Tags more headaches than anyone. Tags and the NFL sued Jerry and the 'Boys, and Jerry had the case dismissed and then went and filed an antitrust suit against the NFL. The reason the Cowboys are so valued is because Jerry goes by the beat of his own drum.

I remember coming up, hearing in the news about Jerry giving the finger to the NFL and Coke and Visa, and forcing deals with Pepsi and MC. Back then I thought he was a turd, now, having business experience I realize Jerry is the kind of employer you or I would be. He is a phenomenal businessman (but a piss poor GM).

This is a great article about Jerry, the Cowboys, and how if a team wanted to screw the NFL this would be the blueprint.

Forbes Welcome
With the business savvy cured from his education, which includes a Master’s degree in business, and successfully running his own Jones Oil and Land Lease, Jones set out to capitalize upon the brand recognized as “America’s Team.” The owner of not only the Dallas Cowboys, but also their stadium, Texas Stadium Corporation, Jones entered into multi-million dollar sponsorship agreements with American Express, Pepsi and Nike through Texas Stadium Corporation.

While arguably not directly contravening the terms of the NFL Trust, since only teams and not stadiums were part of the trust, Jones nonetheless secured the ire of the NFL. At an owners meeting in Atlanta in 1995, Jones was served with a $300 million lawsuit filed by NFL Properties. The lawsuit raised claims including violations of the Lanham Act, breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith, unjust enrichment and tortious interference with contractual rights.

Hate Jerry all you want but he's a HoF owner if I've ever seen one. Only Model and Davis have had bigger impacts on the league. Also from reading Sean Paytons book it seems Jerry isn't that bad of a guy he's just passionate.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom