N/S Pelicans get # 1 Pick (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had given up on the NBA back in the late 90's because I no longer liked the product, and basically stuck with enjoying college basketball... Then New Orleans got a team and I began to follow the Pelicans casually. I really want to return to being an NBA fan, but the musical chairs that is the NBA turns me off, and AD wasn't making it any easier with his "trade me" crap. That being said, the current scenerio sure makes it a lot more interesting. I am excited for New Orleans!

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
No idea what the Pelicans grand strategy is but they have a gold mine of options. What they seem to lack is a good strategy backed up by a PR campaign to combat all of the negativity. I could see Zion Williams pulling a "not playing in NO" card if the Pels aren't careful. He was just saying this week he really doesn't want to leave Duke U. I personally doubt he passes on the $$$ but with these coddled superstars and the people they have in their ear you just never know.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
I was a Jazz fan as a kid. I patterned my jumper after Pistol Pete. When the Jazz moved to Utah, I was still loyal to the logo/team, and when they drafted Karl Malone (who I played against in high school), I became entrenched as more of a fan.
Having said that, I do hope the Pelicans trade AD. He is extremely injury prone and the Pels can get a nice return with a trade. They need more than AD, Zion and Holiday. The future looks good for the Pels, and I'm very happy for the team and city.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That totally changes the Pels franchise. Should AD make amends and stay he'd be on a team with Zion. If he still forces a trade, then the return will be foundational pieces to put with Zion. Either way, it's Zion time in NO.
I'm probably being petty about this, but I hope AD gets shipped off to never never land aka the Knicks. (or worse - I don't care to have someone like him on "my team". I don't care how talented he is.)

(there was talk the Knicks may trade their #3 pick for AD and thus Zion and Barrett would be on the Pelicans.)

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had given up on the NBA back in the late 90's because I no longer liked the product, and basically stuck with enjoying college basketball... Then New Orleans got a team and I began to follow the Pelicans casually. I really want to return to being an NBA fan, but the musical chairs that is the NBA turns me off, and AD wasn't making it any easier with his "trade me" crap. That being said, the current scenerio sure makes it a lot more interesting. I am excited for New Orleans!
Im in that same boat. I am excited to see how this unfolds but they have to show me that the formula in place allows small markets to compete consistently for championships before I can be fully on board with the NBA again.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The draft is June 20.

Zion didn’t look too pleased. When interviewed he was quick to say it’s not a done deal yet. Such is the NBA...
I can remember a time when it was hard for the Saints to rope in a free agent prospect, and kids who were drafted by the Saints felt like they had received pro football's 'death sentence'. The mentality of most (if not all) top athletes is wanting to win at the highest level. They want a chance to be on a team that has a legacy of championship trophies.

The Pelicans are certainly not viewed by the draftees as the place to go get a ring. New Orleans obviously wasn't the team he dreamed of playing for as he looked forward to his pro career. Williamson needs to realize that championships will happen here and that he can be the catalyst for that accomplishment in the Big Easy. Once it does, both he and everyone else who has the opportunity will be eager to come to New Orleans and be a Pelican.

It will be just the same as the number of football players who now would love to play for the Saints. And that will be an amazing time to be a sports fan in the Crescent City! :9:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom