N/S Pelicans get # 1 Pick (1 Viewer)

I had given up on the NBA back in the late 90's because I no longer liked the product, and basically stuck with enjoying college basketball... Then New Orleans got a team and I began to follow the Pelicans casually. I really want to return to being an NBA fan, but the musical chairs that is the NBA turns me off, and AD wasn't making it any easier with his "trade me" crap. That being said, the current scenerio sure makes it a lot more interesting. I am excited for New Orleans!

Im in that same boat. I am excited to see how this unfolds but they have to show me that the formula in place allows small markets to compete consistently for championships before I can be fully on board with the NBA again.

The draft is June 20.

Zion didn’t look too pleased. When interviewed he was quick to say it’s not a done deal yet. Such is the NBA...
I can remember a time when it was hard for the Saints to rope in a free agent prospect, and kids who were drafted by the Saints felt like they had received pro football's 'death sentence'. The mentality of most (if not all) top athletes is wanting to win at the highest level. They want a chance to be on a team that has a legacy of championship trophies.

The Pelicans are certainly not viewed by the draftees as the place to go get a ring. New Orleans obviously wasn't the team he dreamed of playing for as he looked forward to his pro career. Williamson needs to realize that championships will happen here and that he can be the catalyst for that accomplishment in the Big Easy. Once it does, both he and everyone else who has the opportunity will be eager to come to New Orleans and be a Pelican.

It will be just the same as the number of football players who now would love to play for the Saints. And that will be an amazing time to be a sports fan in the Crescent City! :9:

Last edited:
This is probably the safest place to ask these questions..(sorry if they have been asked) What happens if Williamson doesn't sign with agent? Has he 100% declared for the NBA? Can he say that he doesn't want to play for the Pels?

This is probably the safest place to ask these questions..(sorry if they have been asked) What happens if Williamson doesn't sign with agent? Has he 100% declared for the NBA? Can he say that he doesn't want to play for the Pels?
There is a deadline by which he must decide. If he decides to stay in college, he must say so by that date. If he, or any other player, decides to be a draftable commodity, then even if they do not get drafted, they can't return to college. I believe all the LSU players not named Waters and Reid will back out of the draft by that deadline. Any player can "declare" as a tool to get graded by the NBA, but the reason the 7 best players on LSU all "declared" (other than the SR and the two stars) was to force the Will Wade situation to come to a head... mutiny against Alleva and F. King

D6nh1fOW0AYOMCW

The last time I can remember this much excitement surrounding a draft pick in New Orleans was the day before the 2006 draft, when the Texans announced they were taking Mario Williams, and we knew the Saints would draft Reggie Bush. I think this will have a transformative effect on the Pelicans just like Reggie did for the Saints.

The freak out by the national media is ridiculous. They wanted Zion in New York or L.A...Chicago at worst.
This is a decent read scolding those big market zealots:

IMO, those media types that are supposed to be promoting the NBA are the very ones that have tempered my fandom of the NBA. They are chasing ratings and money for their networks instead of the league as whole, and if the NBA shares that same view, then perhaps they should shrink the league to just 12 teams because I'm not interested in rooting for big market's farm teams.

I can remember a time when it was hard for the Saints to rope in a free agent prospect, and kids who were drafted by the Saints felt like they had received pro football's 'death sentence'. The mentality of most (if not all) top athletes is wanting to win at the highest level. They want a chance to be on a team that has a legacy of championship trophies.

The Pelicans are certainly not viewed by the draftees as the place to go get a ring. New Orleans obviously wasn't the team he dreamed of playing for as he looked forward to his pro career. Williamson needs to realize that championships will happen here and that he can be the catalyst for that accomplishment in the Big Easy. Once it does, both he and everyone else who has the opportunity will be eager to come to New Orleans and be a Pelican.

It will be just the same as the number of football players who now would love to play for the Saints. And that will be an amazing time to be a sports fan in the Crescent City! :9:

I like your optimism, but I don’t think NBA players think that way anymore. No one (not a superstar at least) believes they can be a catalyst, they just want to go to the team that’s already stacked. That’s one of many reasons I don’t watch. Don’t get me wrong, I hope the Pels do well, and follow from a distance (I rarely watch a game). I’m an old Jazz fan who bailed when they left, but then got interested again during the Bird, Magic and Isiah years. If those guys lost, they didn’t quit and want to go play with their opponent. To the contrary, they were more driven than ever to bounce back and beat them. NBA players may be more talented than ever, but they just don’t seem to have the same heart.

Last edited:
The Pel's could keep Anthony Davis until the trade deadline in February.
That could very well change AD's mind on a trade if working with Zion Williamson on the opposite side freeing up AD, or Zion for team's success.
This would be an exciting team with 2 number one overall lottery picks on the same team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom