N/S Per Rotoworld... Ocho to be traded on/before draft (1 Viewer)

Chad Johnson is selfish, and has a super inflated ego. Sure, he is good, sure, he works very hard and leaves it all out on the field, but we already parted with a guy just like that named Joe Horn. Joe did grow up a little, and was out of his prime, but that is still the type of player our coach does not want to have to contend with. Chad just got a big contract a few years ago, and said he would forever be happy and never complain when the Bengals tore his old one up to give him a new one. They didn't have to do it then, and the damn sure aren't going to do it now. Part of the issue is negative press concerning Chad during the season that he feels came from management. That is the driving force behind all this hoopla. Well if he isn't mature enough or comfortable enough with himself to not pay attention to that kind of thing, I do not want him on this TEAM. Chads shennanigans are harmless, but they are also narcissistic and scream : "look at me, pet my ego, aren't I great, I need attention". The bad thing is now he has attention and his attitude reminds me of that TO interview doing sittups on his front lawn. I sincerely hope the Bengals keep Chad for the remainder of his contract, and if he becomes more disruptive, I hope they suspend him. I don't see why people want to reward players like Chad who will not keep his mouth shut and help the team focus on winning instead of how great he is.

I would love to have chad johnson on the Saints. Other than the fact he is a top flight receiver, I find him incredibly funny and entertaining. At the same time, I don't have to deal with him either, with his antics and such. He would be a very good pickup for some team, at the same time be an enormous headache with all the fines and attention he brings to himself.

He is very comparable to Terell Owens, as long as your winning games, all is fine and peachy. Once you start losing, and god forbid, begin losing because you didn't utilize him enough, then the headache begins.

The Kobe comparison really doesn't work.

Kobe's value to the Lakers>>>>>>>>> Ocho Stinko's value to the Bengals

Kobe = the best (arguably, third best at worst) player in the entire league, and the best SG in the league hands down.

CJ = elite talent at WR top 3 or 5 at his position. MAYBE top 15 in the league overall. Plus Cincy would still have a good offense without him.

Only 5 guys are on the floor at one time in basketball, 11 on the football field (not meant to be an insult, I know you all already know this). CJ has nowhere near the value Kobe has.

If it comes down to it, CJ will be traded. Kobe is untradable; the Lakers knew they could not get equal value in return and satisfy Kobe's demands, so both sides got over it and played ball.
There were some pretty good offers on the table for Kobe: multiple impact players plus plenty of future draft picks.

Can Chad Johnson be moved more easily than Kobe Bryant though? Yes, of course. That's not the basis for comparison at all. The comparison was to the fact that many NBA "experts" reported Kobe would never play for the Lakers again. That's what "Chuck Ludwig of the Dayton Daily News" is speculating here regarding Chad Johnson.

You see similar turnarounds all the time in the NFL too. Lance Briggs hated the Bears front office; Asante didn't like the Patriots; Charles Grant felt betrayed by the Saints with our lowball offer.

Yeah I know Scott, but they do make the playoffs a bit more frequently then we do. It ****** me off so bad that we have to work our arses off so hard to win our division and get so close to the playoffs and then be left out anyway. but Dallas seems to always get in. With head case players too I might add. Sure they have not won a playoff game in over a decade, but man they have the opportunites to get their anyway. Meanwhile we as Saints fans see our playoff chances get taken away by a last minute FG kick, or a late season break down like what happened in 2001 and 2002. I guess I see more and more why so many guys on here hate that team in Dallas. Its so easy isn't it?

even with his personality it is tempting. Can you imagine the locker room with CJ and Jeremy Shockey? Talk about drama. I think the Saints are on the right track, chemistry-wise, and personnel-wise on offense. I'd be awfully worried about disrupting that chemistry with someone like CJ or Shockey, although there is no denying both players are really talented.

It's no certain that we will that we will get Shockey

i'd have no problem with cj here, i kinda like him... i do have a problem with giving a 1sr (or even a 2nd) for him

Chad Johnson is selfish, and has a super inflated ego. Sure, he is good, sure, he works very hard and leaves it all out on the field, but we already parted with a guy just like that named Joe Horn. Joe did grow up a little, and was out of his prime, but that is still the type of player our coach does not want to have to contend with. Chad just got a big contract a few years ago, and said he would forever be happy and never complain when the Bengals tore his old one up to give him a new one. They didn't have to do it then, and the damn sure aren't going to do it now. Part of the issue is negative press concerning Chad during the season that he feels came from management. That is the driving force behind all this hoopla. Well if he isn't mature enough or comfortable enough with himself to not pay attention to that kind of thing, I do not want him on this TEAM. Chads shennanigans are harmless, but they are also narcissistic and scream : "look at me, pet my ego, aren't I great, I need attention". The bad thing is now he has attention and his attitude reminds me of that TO interview doing sittups on his front lawn. I sincerely hope the Bengals keep Chad for the remainder of his contract, and if he becomes more disruptive, I hope they suspend him. I don't see why people want to reward players like Chad who will not keep his mouth shut and help the team focus on winning instead of how great he is.

Completely agree, I'm sick and tired of all the Prima Donna type wr's. It's all about them and not the team. We don't need him and I don't want him on the Saints.

Yeah I know Scott, but they do make the playoffs a bit more frequently then we do. It ****** me off so bad that we have to work our arses off so hard to win our division and get so close to the playoffs and then be left out anyway. but Dallas seems to always get in. With head case players too I might add. Sure they have not won a playoff game in over a decade, but man they have the opportunites to get their anyway. Meanwhile we as Saints fans see our playoff chances get taken away by a last minute FG kick, or a late season break down like what happened in 2001 and 2002. I guess I see more and more why so many guys on here hate that team in Dallas. Its so easy isn't it?

yes, it's very easy to dislike them. But the frequency of them going to the playoffs probably has more to do with their division being weaker than ours, yet in the past ten years, Saints playoff wins 2, Cowboys 0.

Chad has never got in trouble off the field like many of his teammates have.
Tory Holt is the only player to put up better numbers than him the past 5 seasons.

Chad would require a double team. Pulling a man off of Colston,Bush, or Meachem.
Bress would throw 43 TD's.

Let's give Cincy nextyears 1st rounder for him.
That pick will be #32 anyway. Pretty much a 2nd round pick.

Trade Will Smith for Chad Johnson, or a 2009 1st round pick for Chad Johnson.

The most impressive thing to me about the 2007 Saints was the fact that our offense was fourth overall in the league last year despite a horrible draft, almost no Deuce, Reggie's sophomore slump, a RB-by-committee running game approach used after Reggie struggled/got hurt, average TEs, an offensive line that many on this board think is suspect due largely to Reggie's apparent inability to run inside, and a WR corps that -- outside of Colston and maybe Patten -- was nothing special. Yet Brees made the O go. If we were to add Johnson (and I'm sure offensive guru Payton has at least considered it), I think the O would probably return to first overall (as we were in 2006) with the same offensive personnel we had last year. Very tempting.

But what would this offensive improvement cost us? I wouldn't be too concerned about Johnson's personality -- as long as he brought it on Sunday, I think the team could tolerate his goofiness. But I see two big problems:

(1) We haven't signed Colston yet, and he would almost certainly want at least as much as Johnson to stay onboard. I know he'll be a RFA, and we could probably re-sign him for a song next season, but to keep Colston long-term, we'd have to dump an inordinate amount of money into the WR position (with Johnson, Colston, Meachem eating up most of the $$$) even though history has shown us that like pre-Moss Tom Brady, Brees doesn't even need studs at WR to torch opposing defenses. He's that good. So despite the offensive improvement that would likely result, I don't think this money would be well-spent on a big-ticket offensive weapon when our D was as bad as it was last year (I really, really hate getting lit up by the likes of NFL luminaries like Quinn Gray and Luke McCown). Which brings me to the second problem...

(2) While we're all excited about Vilma, Morgan, McCray, Gay, McKenzie's rehab, and the mere possibility that these guys will be able to slow down opposing offenses next season, there are still way too many defensive "ifs" on this team. IF Vilma, Morgan, and McKenzie are able to play and compete at 100% next season, IF Gay and McCray adapt well to our system and contribute, and IF our draft picks pan out, we'll be dangerous. But if not, we run the risk of having another bad D. So we shouldn't break the bank on O -- we gotta spend our $$$ on as much quality D as we can get in the draft and elsewhere and re-sign Will Smith. Specifically, the focus must be on (1) the pass rush and (2) the secondary. Because when our O starts scoring, we must have the D to prevent games from turning into shoot-outs.

In short, while landing Johnson would be great, he would be a luxury, not a necessity.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom