N/S Phillip Rivers retiring (1 Viewer)

So long to the Father of Us All. Next stop Canton.

He earned my respect when he played in the AFC Championship with a torn ACL. That was a BAMF move.

I'm not sure Canton for Philip. It will be debated for the next few years.

If Brees retires this year as well, there's no chance Rivers gets in his first year of eligibility, right?
I'd argue he doesn't get in automatically like Drew, Brady, or even Frank Gore will they retire, it may take him 3-4, perhaps more years of eligibility, but his overall career resume, is just too large, too impressive, for everyone to ignore and relegate his chances to the comparable standards of Alex Smith.

Just a thought—Terry Bradshaw is 72, and Rivers has a Bradshaw type personality that seems pretty TV friendly. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in similar setting in the next few years

Just a thought—Terry Bradshaw is 72, and Rivers has a Bradshaw type personality that seems pretty TV friendly. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in similar setting in the next few years
Usually, although its not always in chronological career order with every ex-former NFL player who gets into coaching, if a newly-or-recently retired NFL player wants to just be a position coach, he might just immediately take a job like Wes Welker did becoming WRs coach with Houston after finishing his career there. But, if former NFL greats REALLY want to become NCAAF or maybe NFL HC's, their advised to start at the bottom like in HS or NCAAF, like Jim Zorn was told to do by Chuck Knox when he asked him for post-playing career advice after he retired. Philip Rivers has football in his blood, and that connection won't stop now that he's retired. His father was a HS football HS in Alabama and I think Rivers' ambitions are far bigger in scope then remaining a HS HC for a private Catholic HS near Fairhope, Alabama for the next 20-25 years. His "rah-rah" infectious, energetic attitude probably means he'd want to maybe first be an QBs coach, then OC at a SEC school, maybe even his alma mater, NC State. The Wolfpac would be a great, future NCAAF destination that he would excel at and NC State not a bad football program to inherit one day and mold into your image. Their a bit of a overachievers and likely won't be beating Clemson anytime soon but they've had 9-win seasons 3 or 4 times the past 6-7 seasons.

probably cheaper to retire and be a stay-at-home mom, than daycare for his 100 kids.
Not sure how much the catholic high school charges for each student but free tuition for 100 kids seems like a no brainer.

I think Rivers, at the very least, has a decent chance of making the HOF. IMHO, he's probably the closest thing a current long-running, successful QB is to being borderline HOF'er, which means while he may have a below 500. Postseason win/loss record, his overall career passing stats, passing TDs, are just too blatantly obvious to be casually or flippantly ignored like their secondary and no big deal. I'm sorry, like it or not, whether most of us on here respect Rivers, like or dislike him throughout the course of his 17 year career, career passing stats are huge significant factors that need reasonable, articulate counterarguments to dispel or leave him out. Rivers' career and his longevity can't be compartmentalized and dismissed like Donovan McNabb's, or in a few seasons, maybe Matthew Stafford's career is done, once for all. A similar, but perhaps slightly less convincing case might present itself in examining Matt Ryan's career stats, career passing TD's. If Ryan surpasses 60,000 passing yards, plausibly, and adds maybe 3-4,000 more passing yards to it and ends up around or close to 65,000 career passing yards overall.

60,000 career passing yards, for the previous generation of NFL QBs(Brees', Brady, and Manning's) and likely for Mahomes, Watson, and Josh Kelly upcoming generation, that's one key benchmark that's the new equivalent of what 40-45,000 passing yards and led your team to numerous playoff appearances like Warren Moon of old Oilers did, then your in the discussion, IMO. That means, you're in that deep-grey borderline area, where maybe some, if not most, NFL HOF voters, want to induct you but need that extra reassuring argument.

Philip Rivers, like Ken Anderson, Randy Gradishar, Dave Dalby and perhaps even Cameron Jordan once he surpasses the 100-career sack mark and how much more he adds to it(if a NFL DE finishes his career in the 110-115 career sack range make him HOF worthy?) are in that small, narrow list of current and former NFL greats whose careers were too successful, noteworthy to just label them in the Hall of Very Good, their in that smaller category maybe a 1/2 tier notch higher, the Borderline HOF. Hall of Very Good is more of an automatic no, their solid but not great. This next tier of players do have a strong case but not everyone is convinced entirely. Art Monk and to a lesser extent, Rickey Jackson was placed in this category until the last bitter holdouts got shouted down and their arguments against their inclusions were discredited and dismissed.

I suspect Rivers may fall into that same sort of category. How many winning seasons did he have as an NFL starting QB? How many seasons did he lead the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers/Colts to postseason(2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2018, and 2020). He led Chargers to winning or non-losing seasons in 2014, 2017, and IIRC 2009 and 2011 they finished 8-8.
I'm sorry but if he gets in the HOF, it lessens the importance of that achievement and makes it too easy to get in there as a QB. I know times change, rules of the game change and all that but when I think of HOFers, I think of Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Steve Young, and of course Brees and Brady. Guys who change the game, not someone who was mid tier and just floated around above average his entire career.

Well according to many on this forum, playing with that injury makes him a selfish egotistical maniac...

The very poster you quoted is among those, which makes the contradiction even funnier.

The very poster you quoted is among those, which makes the contradiction even funnier.
I can respect the guy for playing on a torn acl, just like I can respect Drew for playing through his injuries. It wasn’t in his teams best interest, but it showed how tough he was.

Starting?

Doesn't he have like a million offspring?

Guess it's Jacob Eason time in indy!

200.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom