N/S - Possible Roy Williams (WR)/Lito Shepperd trade in the works (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Per KFFL;

Eagles | Team interested in acquiring R. Williams
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:47:21 -0800

Mike O'Hara, of The Detroit News, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are interested in acquiring Detroit Lions WR Roy Williams via trade. The Eagles have mentioned sending CB Lito Sheppard to the Lions for Williams.

Shame. I know several of us here wanted both of those players at one time or another.

That would make the Eagles a very good team

That would be a foolish trade for the Lions. I would doubt they'd even be interested. Even though I have a lot of respect for Lito Sheppard, he belongs in a man-coverage scheme where a team can get the most out of his talent. The Lions play a Tampa-2 scheme. They can get by with lesser corners. Besides that fact, Roy Williams is one of the premier WRs in the game today. I don't see this happening.

KFFL is usually above rumors and this trade would make absolutely no sense. The Lions traded away Dre Bly for Tatem Bell and a third round pick but now they will trade away the best player in the franchise in his prime for an undersized, injury prone corner that specializes in man defense to come play in a cover 2. Lito is almost an identical player to Bly who they traded away because he didn't fit their system.

The only reason I could see this happening is because the Lions are the only team in the NFL dumb enough to make this trade.

I say this is pure speculation without much thought and something that was ripped off the Eagles message board the other day when some guy thought that the Eagles were going to try and make this trade.

That would be a foolish trade for the Lions. I would doubt they'd even be interested. Even though I have a lot of respect for Lito Sheppard, he belongs in a man-coverage scheme where a team can get the most out of his talent. The Lions play a Tampa-2 scheme. They can get by with lesser corners. Besides that fact, Roy Williams is one of the premier WRs in the game today. I don't see this happening.

You forget that Matt Millen is calling the shots in Detroit. And word is that Roy Williams is on the first bus out of Detroit as soon as he's a free agent, so Millen probably figures he'll get something for him while he can. That something just so happens to be a really good corner who will be way overpaid for what he needs to be and do for your defense, but who will do a good job nonetheless when he's on the field.

This doesn't make any sense for the Lions. They just off-loaded Dre Bly precisely because they're in a Tampa-2 scheme. They don't need man corners, don't need to invest in man corners, and were going to emulate Tampa and Indianapolis and plug in cheap mid-rounders into their lineup.

So they're going to trade for Ltio Sheppard and then give him a big fat contract?

Huh?

Matt Millen is such a freaking moron, I mean this actually makes me angry.

Well, it doesn't necessarily say that it's a mutual interest at this point, although I wouldn't put a move like this past Matt Millen.

Well, it doesn't necessarily say that it's a mutual interest at this point, although I wouldn't put a move like this past Matt Millen.

The thing is though almost anything would be better then Sheppard for Detroit. I mean I love Sheppard as a player, think he's great. But how insanely stupid would a Tampa-2 team be to sink $50 or $60 million dollars into the CB position, even as the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Bucs fill their CB spots with 4th round picks (and routinely let their veterans like Brian Kelly or Nick Harper walk)? It's just doesn't make any sense. He'd seriously be better off taking a 3rd or 4th round pick instead of Sheppard, as unbelievable as that sounds.

The thing is though almost anything would be better then Sheppard for Detroit. I mean I love Sheppard as a player, think he's great. But how insanely stupid would a Tampa-2 team be to sink $50 or $60 million dollars into the CB position, even as the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Bucs fill their CB spots with 4th round picks (and routinely let their veterans like Brian Kelly or Nick Harper walk)? It's just doesn't make any sense. He'd seriously be better off taking a 3rd or 4th round pick instead of Sheppard, as unbelievable as that sounds.

That's why I just can't see this happening. Doesn't make sense scheme-wise. Lito still has 4 years left on his current deal, so I doubt he'll get a new deal right away (for whoever he plays for). But you're right. We all know Millen can be pretty un-orthodox. But I think this is a little nonsensical, even for him (although you just never know).

Maybe Millen sees value in a premier man-coverage cornerback. Who knows what he's thinking.

Brown and Williams in Philly. Ouch.

Do you mean Reggie Brown? That guy catches just as bad as Devery, without the speed.

I'd be far more concerned about Kevin Curtis and Roy Williams. Curtis was the only receiver in Philly last year that had a good year. He's the real deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom