N/S QUESTION: (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Just read that Andy Reed told his QB that his father had a heart attack before the game in the tunnel after game was over. His father didn't make it. My question is , if you are the starting QB for a team and you knew your father had a heart attack before a game and was sent to hospital would you be mad about knowing it AFTER the game.......or is it JUST WIN BABY WIN

i mean, that's a hard one to speculate about
my initial response is that if it's my parents, wait to tell me after the game
if it's my wife or kids, tell me now
but i don't think there's a right answer

I can understand wanting to be there for them, but a QB is not a doctor. I don't think it'd be any less traumatic to hear my Dad died suddenly vs hearing he was in the hospital and later he died while I was there. Also, does his dad live in KC? Maybe he couldn't have gotten there in time anyway. Lots of factors to weigh. I wouldn't be mad about it. The coach has a job to do and that's make sure the team is prepared. I think he did that and at the next possible moment told his player the hard news.

I can understand wanting to be there for them, but a QB is not a doctor. I don't think it'd be any less traumatic to hear my Dad died suddenly vs hearing he was in the hospital and later he died while I was there. Also, does his dad live in KC? Maybe he couldn't have gotten there in time anyway. Lots of factors to weigh. I wouldn't be mad about it. The coach has a job to do and that's make sure the team is prepared. I think he did that and at the next possible moment told his player the hard news.
i have to assume that most coaches have already set an expectation for how/what/when 'outside news' comes into the team -- practice, 4 hours before and then during the game, et al the team goes 'in a bubble'
or some such

Just read that Andy Reed told his QB that his father had a heart attack before the game in the tunnel after game was over. His father didn't make it. My question is , if you are the starting QB for a team and you knew your father had a heart attack before a game and was sent to hospital would you be mad about knowing it AFTER the game.......or is it JUST WIN BABY WIN

It was his girlfriends step father that had the heart attack. That changes everything completely.

He was in the stands at the game.

i mean, that's a hard one to speculate about
my initial response is that if it's my parents, wait to tell me after the game
if it's my wife or kids, tell me now
but i don't think there's a right answer
I believe this is basically the right answer. Each situation has to be weighed with several factors in mind.
Not to sound cold, but in a way it reminds me of the scene from the movie Apollo 13 where the technicians are wondering whether there might be some damage to the heat shield just as the crew was about to reenter the earth's atmosphere and they asked flight director 'Gene Kranz' if the astronauts ought to be informed of that possibility. Gene (played by Ed Harris) asked, "Can they do anything about it?" They immediately replied, "No." Kranz said, "Then they don't need to know."

In such a case, I'd have to agree with that line of reasoning.

I'd be absolutely furious and refuse to play for him if it were either of my parents. You don't mess with that, man.

But its all subjective. Too many scenarios to speculate without much more information.

If I had to bet, it probably wasn't him that made that decision. Who ever called to tell the coach probably also told him to wait till after the game. If he had already passed and there was nothing he could do......I really don't think the coach would/should take it upon himself to not tell him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom