N/S Raiders' Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas on schedule (1 Viewer)

They ended that this year. Plus, if they still did the SB winner playing the first game on Thursday it would be a home game for the Saints.

I think they just took a break from it this year since it was the 100th season and it was the perfect excuse not to have the Patriots in the Kickoff game for the 2nd time in 3 years by having the Bears-Packers and the “NFL’s oldest rivalry” instead.

I think they’ll go back to the Super Bowl winner format this year, but yeah if we win it, it should definitely be in the Superdome. Especially since there are some very intriguing matchups on our home slate next year:
  • Chiefs, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, our 3 divisional opponents, and the NFC West same place finisher (most likely the 49ers or Seahawks) all have to come to New Orleans next year
Our road game opponents next year are far less enticing:
  • Raiders, Broncos, Bears, Lions, our 3 divisional opponents, and the NFC East same place finisher (most likely the Cowboys or Eagles)
So at least we shouldn’t have to go on the road for the NFL Kickoff game because I doubt any of those teams get close to winning the Super Bowl.

Very smart move to not put it out in a remote location. Like the Superdome, it will be right near the local attractions.

It is in decent proximity to the main strip, but no where near as close, relatively speaking, as the Superdome is to the main parts of downtown NOLA. Surprisingly, it is not that far off the flight path of McCarran. When flying out, you can look out the right side of the plane and dang near look down right on to the stadium. Probably a half mile from the flight path.

It is on the other side of the interstate from the strip, just off the interstate and an easy drive to/from the airport. But I do not think you would want to walk to it unless you were broke by kickoff. Everything looks so close in Vegas to walk to. It is a decent hike and a half from the strip to the stadium. Beware, particularly if the game is in September.

I think they just took a break from it this year since it was the 100th season and it was the perfect excuse not to have the Patriots in the Kickoff game for the 2nd time in 3 years by having the Bears-Packers and the “NFL’s oldest rivalry” instead.

I think they’ll go back to the Super Bowl winner format this year, but yeah if we win it, it should definitely be in the Superdome. Especially since there are some very intriguing matchups on our home slate next year:
  • Chiefs, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, our 3 divisional opponents, and the NFC West same place finisher (most likely the 49ers or Seahawks) all have to come to New Orleans next year
Our road game opponents next year are far less enticing:
  • Raiders, Broncos, Bears, Lions, our 3 divisional opponents, and the NFC East same place finisher (most likely the Cowboys or Eagles)
So at least we shouldn’t have to go on the road for the NFL Kickoff game because I doubt any of those teams get close to winning the Super Bowl.

No guarantees for Superbowl champions to host the opening Thursday night game, the following year, especially if the Saints win the Superbowl. Remember 2010? Saints opened on Thursday night at the Vikings. Repeat of the ‘09 NFCCG, but at Minnesota. Maybe the Raiders make the AFCCG and Saints win the Superbowl, and it sets the NFL up for an opening game in Las Vegas!

I will bet, some how, the NFL will find a way to have the Raiders open their new Vegas stadium, on the Thursday night opening game for 2020.

No guarantees for Superbowl champions to host the opening Thursday night game, the following year, especially if the Saints win the Superbowl. Remember 2010? Saints opened on Thursday night at the Vikings. Repeat of the ‘09 NFCCG, but at Minnesota. Maybe the Raiders make the AFCCG and Saints win the Superbowl, and it sets the NFL up for an opening game in Las Vegas!

I will bet, some how, the NFL will find a way to have the Raiders open their new Vegas stadium, on the Thursday night opening game for 2020.

Wrong.

Since they started the opening thursday game being a home game for the Superbowl champions I can only think of 2 times they didn't follow that format. A few years ago win the Ravens won but couldn't have a game at home that night do to a city ordinance and this year which was a pre-planned 100 NFL annivesary event.

They should have sent the Chargers to Vegas and left the Raiders in Oakland.

It should be a rule that once you’ve won a championship in a city you have to stay there.

Wrong.

Since they started the opening thursday game being a home game for the Superbowl champions I can only think of 2 times they didn't follow that format. A few years ago win the Ravens won but couldn't have a game at home that night do to a city ordinance and this year which was a pre-planned 100 NFL annivesary event.
It was the Orioles. Everyone tried to make it work, but the Orioles had a home game that night and refused to help.

My home is literately 5 blocks away from Allegiant stadium. I truly hope Brees Doesn’t retire so I have the opportunity to see Drew play down the street from my home.
LoL. I live in Veer towers at the city center haha.
It's gonna be an awesome feeling getting to see the Saints live.

Wrong.

I stand corrected on the 2010 opening game. Good catch. Let’s see how it plays out next year. I am willing to bet, the Raiders will get the first Monday night game at their new stadium. I just hope it is not against the Saints, for obvious reasons....?

Last edited:
LoL. I live in Veer towers at the city center haha.
It's gonna be an awesome feeling getting to see the Saints live.
I’m on Hacienda and Jones. I never thought that there was a remote possibility that I will ever see my Saints play in Las Vegas in my lifetime. The fact that this will happen in the Drew Brees era is a minor miracle. There’s a ton of Saints fans that live in Vegas that will definitely be at that game, including myself.

It was the Orioles. Everyone tried to make it work, but the Orioles had a home game that night and refused to help.

I actually gained a little respect for MLB for telling Goodell where he could stick his NFL Kickoff game a year after we got shafted by the Bounty Sham.

:hihi:

I an willing to bet, the Raiders will get the first Monday night game at their new stadium.

Now that I could definitely see happening since the second game of the MNF doubleheader is typically a game in the Western time zone. In fact, the Raiders hosted that game this year (probably since it was the last Week 1 game in Oakland) but I didn’t get to watch since I was driving home from our game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom