N/S Raiders Officially Change Name To Las Vegas Raiders (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the backgound. It's hard to tell the city and state's tax payers a billion dollar sports project is more important other issues, especialy when the owners are billionaires.

This as always the mindset of short term thinkers that vote on these things. The economic impact of a pro sports team, an NFL team especially, pays for itself. It effects so many things - hotels, restaurants, airport business, tourist spots, creates a plethora of new jobs, and your city also pretty much has a free year-round advertisement deal just from the city name being attached to an NFL team when flashed on the TV screen or internet, not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl bid.

The city basically just lost a cash cow just because it didn't want to front some money out of principle.

This as always the mindset of short term thinkers that vote on these things. The economic impact of a pro sports team, an NFL team especially, pays for itself. It effects so many things - hotels, restaurants, airport business, tourist spots, creates a plethora of new jobs, and your city also pretty much has a free year-round advertisement deal just from the city name being attached to an NFL team when flashed on the TV screen or internet, not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl bid.

The city basically just lost a cash cow just because it didn't want to front some money out of principle.
LOL. You sound like a salesperson, the bulk of state & local policy literature says your wrong. It's better to give tax breaks to a auto company for a plant than buiding a new stadium. What you speak of is episodal, no real economy us built around tourism. it's one of the reasons so many pepole move to Atlanta and Houston

They going to change their mascot, too, like the Oilers? Maybe I could suggest "The Addicts"?

They going to change their mascot, too, like the Oilers? Maybe I could suggest "The Addicts"?

Pretty sure the only thing changing is the name and city they're playing in. Similar to what happened with the Rams, Colts and Cardinals. The Oilers/Browns situations were more the exception than the norm. Even the Oilers team colors and name went to Tennessee. They didn't change the mascot and name until well after they moved. Cleveland basically was the only city that had an agreement in place to retain the name, colors and mascot. Most teams that move take everything with them. Cities getting left behind normally have to start over if the team doesn't move back i.e. Ravens and Texans.

One of the few things that could make my Las Vegas trips even more enjoyable is being able to watch the Saints beat the Raiders during my visit.

Pretty sure the only thing changing is the name and city they're playing in. Similar to what happened with the Rams, Colts and Cardinals. The Oilers/Browns situations were more the exception than the norm. Even the Oilers team colors and name went to Tennessee. They didn't change the mascot and name until well after they moved. Cleveland basically was the only city that had an agreement in place to retain the name, colors and mascot. Most teams that move take everything with them. Cities getting left behind normally have to start over if the team doesn't move back i.e. Ravens and Texans.
There is no way the League would allow the Raiders name to lie dormant for a few seasons. The NFL is big on the Super Bowl legacy and they don’t want any of those teams to even for a second go out for a few seasons like the Browns.
If the Oilers would’ve won a Super Bowl, they would’ve kept the name. If the Raiders had none, they’d end up like the Oilers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom