N/S Rams Give Two Year Contract Extension To Jeff Fisher (1 Viewer)

Fish is looking a little rough, put on a few pounds as well I think.
He's a solid coach, had 6 double-digit years with Titans and a bunch of 7-9/8-8 seasons. The game may have passed him by, but we should perhaps be wary of being too critical of a coach that hasn't had double-digit wins in several years and one Superbowl appearance...

They see a coach with a winning record who spent the last 3 seasons dealing with a possible move, then an imminent move, then an end of last season of will they won't they, then moving to LA, then having to start over in a new city with high expectations. I guess they think they can always just cut him after next year if things don't settle down but I would do the same thing and keep the guy.
As to the hangover comparison I might have one too.
Jack Del Rio is in the same position and he is 8-2...

Wow. I thought for sure he was going to be fired after this season!

Fish is looking a little rough, put on a few pounds as well I think.
He's a solid coach, had 6 double-digit years with Titans and a bunch of 7-9/8-8 seasons. The game may have passed him by, but we should perhaps be wary of being too critical of a coach that hasn't had double-digit wins in several years and one Superbowl appearance...

Fisher has a losing record.

Payton is a way better, more accomplished coach.

I wish I could be as bad at my job as Fisher is, and keep it for so long.

I guess it does pay to be mediocre.

In this morning's column, Bill Plaschke writes that Fisher's recently announced extension is essentially a parachute payment agreed before the season, and structured "as basically a one-year parting gift in appreciation for the hassles Fisher has handled for the last two tumultuous seasons."

Unless the Rams suddenly get good, their coach is probably getting fired - LA Times

The Rams have yet to publicly announce or even comment upon the extension, and why do you think that is? It’s because while they have agreed to extend his paycheck, they haven’t yet decided to extend his job.

Last week this fact was made plain in an interview with Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer. He wouldn’t talk directly about Fisher’s future but was clear about the team’s expectations.

Yes, the Rams gave Fisher the new deal at the start of the season, and were prepared to announce it. Owner Stan Kroenke didn’t want to him to go through a relocation season as a lame duck, and was willing to take a chance that things would improve.

But then in the season opener, the Rams were punched in the mouth by the San Francisco 49ers, and folks in the front office immediately applied the brakes.

They were struck by how quickly their welcome had evaporated. They saw how the Los Angeles sports fan would not celebrate a Rams homecoming if it didn’t include winning. They understood that maybe an announcement about future employment of a coach who already had become a villain wouldn’t be such a good idea at the time.

So they waited to officially announce the deal, and waited, and waited ... and, then, finally, it appears somebody got tired of waiting.

That somebody was Fisher . . . the Rams had no idea the extension would be made public. In fact, Demoff wasn’t even with the team in New England at the time, as he remained in Los Angeles on a personal matter.

Then once the news broke, given the chance to issue a press release and hold a celebratory news conference back in Los Angeles this week, the Rams politely declined.

He knows something about somebody, is related to someone higher up, has dirt on somebody, had something. The only explanation to this is that he sells up his glory days as the Titans head coach to get/extend his Rams coaching job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom