N/S Rams to release Quintin Mikell (1 Viewer)

InTheFade82

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Rams to part ways with Quintin Mikell | ProFootballTalk

I might've missed this thread but sharing it just in case. I do remember in the past some of us wanting him on our team. At 32 years old he seems to still be very healthy and has been playing at a high level.

I'd like to see an upgrade at both safety spots. I know some of us dream of signing Ed Reed but he could be a quality veteran option that wants to play for a contender.

I know he has been playing in a 4-3 so not sure how it would effect his play in our new 3-4 scheme.

Mikell’s 2013 cap number was $9 million, and he was slated to make $6 million, per the source. The total amount of “dead money” on the Rams’ books for 2013 from the move is $6 million,

If the rams can cut their safety with a large cap hit why not us with Harper?
This has been the number one gripe in every Harper thread I have read.

Sorry to hijack your thread but we would need to get rid of a safety in order to bring one in.

Assuming we did cut a safety to bring him in, I wouldn't mind it. I'd cross my fingers n hope it panned out like our Sharper deal did with snagging a player near the end of the line in their career for a 1-2 year stint

Mikell is a very Harper like player. He is an 'in the box' safety that is good with run support and blitzing but struggles a whole lot in coverage. Why would we cut a player to sign someone who has the exact same skill set and will demand similar money?

Mikell’s 2013 cap number was $9 million, and he was slated to make $6 million, per the source. The total amount of “dead money” on the Rams’ books for 2013 from the move is $6 million,

If the rams can cut their safety with a large cap hit why not us with Harper?
This has been the number one gripe in every Harper thread I have read.

Sorry to hijack your thread but we would need to get rid of a safety in order to bring one in.

Are the Rams in as bad of a cap situation as we are?

Mikell is a very Harper like player. He is an 'in the box' safety that is good with run support and blitzing but struggles a whole lot in coverage. Why would we cut a player to sign someone who has the exact same skill set and will demand similar money?

This.

I'll take the devil I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

This is quite interesting.

2 years ago Mikell, Landry, Goldson, and Harper were the top safeties on the market, and there's been some loud clamoring, especially from one or two certain posters, that we got robbed by re-signing our own instead of dumping him for one of the other 3.

Landry was released, likely over money and scheme fit, Mikell released over money, and Goldson not tagged because they didn't feel he was worth 7.5 million on it this year, and will likely get even more than that on the market. Isn't that the same Harper makes?

Don't get me wrong, I think all four are solid players, I just find it odd that for four guys with similar skill sets, I'm sure all of which have been exposed at one time or another (Goldson's Super Bowl is still a hot topic here), 3 of them are parting ways over money and Harper is so far still a Saint and looking like a financial deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom