N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but you have to consider that the Washington owner is a complete idiot... so he’s going to screw this up (probably on purpose). Everyone seems to like Red Tails the best, soooo you have to figure that Warriors will win-out.
Honestly, I do not need to consider anything. In the end, regardless of what name is chosen, some will hate it at first. As studies show, however, no one will care when it comes to supporting the team.

----

Honestly, I do not need to consider anything. In the end, regardless of what name is chosen, some will hate it at first. As studies show, however, no one will care when it comes to supporting the team.

----
It all depends on how successful the team is. If they’re good, people will accept it more quickly.
It’s gonna be interesting how they handle the history, highlights and throwback nights. I assume they won’t be able to say the name “Redskins” or display the old logo due to sensitivity of that name; which is why I think Washington was so hesitant to change the name.
Had they had the run of lesser franchises, they probably would’ve changed the name in the 90s.

----

I already don’t care... Pretty aggressive response Karen.

I already don’t care... Pretty aggressive response Karen.

Who's is Karen

It all depends on how successful the team is. If they’re good, people will accept it more quickly.
It’s gonna be interesting how they handle the history, highlights and throwback nights. I assume they won’t be able to say the name “Redskins” or display the old logo due to sensitivity of that name; which is why I think Washington was so hesitant to change the name.
Had they had the run of lesser franchises, they probably would’ve changed the name in the 90s.
I don't think either is true.
You can't erase history.

One of the problems of not choosing to stick with an "Indian" name is they lose the chance to turn a "negative" into a "positive." By distancing themselves from it, they may make it harder to use throwbacks that refer to Amerindians.

----

A racial slur is not "celebrating" them. Maybe if it was Warriors or Chiefs you might be able to make that argument (probably very poorly) but it being a straight up slur negates this "honoring and celebrating" them nonsense.

A follow-up to my post is definitely in order. It's hard to keep up with the nuance of every issue these days and perhaps a little restraint before reaction is necessary. My stance on current events is a growing movement against and rejection of western culture. Not to get too political, but how can you not given the topic. (I know, my grammar sucks). I typically don't respond in knee-jerk fashion to things like this, but it seems every day another symbol or aspect of western civilization is under attack. I know the Redskins name has been under discussion for many years now. I don't think the name was established with the intent of being derogatory and I've heard many accounts of natives not caring about this issue at all. Everything is under a microscope today and I see the likes of Washington and Lincoln being torn to pieces despite the overwhelmingly positive impact they've had on the world. Perfect? no. Who is? That being said, I've read up on the use of this term and how broadcasters often referred a Redskins' loss to being 'scalped'. So I have a better understanding of how the name affects certain demographics/perspectives. I don't like the idea of losing the name because erasing the past means we inevitably make the same mistake again. I agree Warriors and Chiefs are a better symbol. I don't want to lose these reminders of our past. If the name has to change, so be it, but keep the symbolism.

The problems with the oversimplification of history in your post aside, do you think it would be appropriate for white allies of the BLM movement to wear blackface as a sign of respect and solidarity?

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?

Near sighted on my part. I am for all voices and perspective to be heard. It seems, though, "white allies" like to speak on behalf of all marginalized groups and I saw this as another example of that. Is my original comment hypocritical of that thinking? Perhaps, but I don't consider myself a white ally. At least not in the way white liberals claim to be. It's a reaction to the unending rejection of all things western in our culture today.

Near sighted on my part. I am for all voices and perspective to be heard. It seems, though, "white allies" like to speak on behalf of all marginalized groups and I saw this as another example of that. Is my original comment hypocritical of that thinking? Perhaps, but I don't consider myself a white ally. At least not in the way white liberals claim to be. It's a reaction to the unending rejection of all things western in our culture today.

Some of that rejection is probably more than justified though. Certainly not all of it, but cultural shifts happen all the time. It's happening pretty quickly these days. Sign of the times I guess.

Some of that rejection is probably more than justified though. Certainly not all of it, but cultural shifts happen all the time. It's happening pretty quickly these days. Sign of the times I guess.

But so much of it is confounded and hijacked for power grabs that these criticisms that should be debated become partisan and weaponized. Does that make them illegitimate? No, but if this is how fast time moves now, its hard for me to see a positive outcome. I know politics are not the criteria for this board, but this is a partisan topic no matter how you slice it. Also a sign of the times, unfortunately.

But so much of it is confounded and hijacked for power grabs that these criticisms that should be debated become partisan and weaponized. Does that make them illegitimate? No, but if this is how fast time moves now, its hard for me to see a positive outcome. I know politics are not the criteria for this board, but this is a partisan topic no matter how you slice it. Also a sign of the times, unfortunately.

I suppose, but there have always been power grabs during tumultuous times. That's hardly new. It's just magnified because of upheavals going on. While some of it is political, that can be discussed in a different forum, but the social changes are clearly making the status quo an uncomfortable place to be.

I suppose, but there have always been power grabs during tumultuous times. That's hardly new. It's just magnified because of upheavals going on. While some of it is political, that can be discussed in a different forum, but the social changes are clearly making the status quo an uncomfortable place to be.

Then color me someone who doesn't agree with upheaval as a constructive means for change. It undermines the ideas and paints "the other half" of the country as enemies.

Then color me someone who doesn't agree with upheaval as a constructive means for change. It undermines the ideas and paints "the other half" of the country as enemies.

Radicalism is never constructive. At some point, it always goes too far and it ends. In many cases, it may even reverse. There is no telling if or how much change would happen or not. Political change unless strongly supported socially often does little to make a difference. Social change consequently always lags behind the political change. This should be evident in the BLM.

----

The problems with the oversimplification of history in your post aside, do you think it would be appropriate for white allies of the BLM movement to wear blackface as a sign of respect and solidarity?

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?
I saw a poll that stated 65 percent of Native Americans could care less. My native friends laugh at whites.

A buddy of mine who is a Giants fan recommended the Washington Foreskins......I would love it if they went with the Redtails name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom