N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did something I never thought I’d ever do... I bought a hat for a NFL team other than the Saints.

I got a “Redskins” hat. It has the Redskins traditional logo (which will be gone with all Native American imagery being removed) and says “Redskins” on the back (which is basically already set in stone to be terminated).

I don’t think I’ll ever wear it... but I wanted one before they’re extinct.
I wish my parents would have gotten one of those "Whites Only" signs before they took them all down..now I can't get one because of those selfish colored folks.....

edit: forgot to add /sarcasm

I realize there’s more to the Tuskegee Airmen’s history than just P-51s. They're most well known though for P -51s with bright red tails.

But if the team name is going to be Redtails then red should be prominent in the team colors and logo. Right now the team colors do not include red. Is there even time in the next month or two to move on from burgundy? Not sure.
To be honest, most people know of the P-51 because it was one of the best aircraft in the war. One of the few that was on par or better than the Bf109s or Fw 190s. The other aircraft is the P-40 but ost know the Flying Tigers paint job than the actual plane itself.

Someone did a logo that works really well.
1594604923021.png
The plane I assume is supposed to be a P-51 (The nose and the paint scheme is right)
Anyway, my understanding is that the color scheme won't immediately change. I don't think they will locked themselves down to a nickname based on conistency with the current color scheme.

Good article on the subject. The expert interviewed, uniform guru Paul Lukas, seems to think no native american imagery will be used - so Warriors would be out. And thinks that Redtails too closely evokes Redskins. But team colors are definitely open to changing, maybe even red white blue like all the other DC teams.
It would be a travesty if they changed their colors or even uniforms. Come the hell on... this isn’t the Jaguars. Washington is one of the more traditional NFL franchises.

The last item to change is the Indian logo. IMO, it is one of the best in the NFL. The organization would be lucky to create another great logo.
I am not buying the "Redtails" being too close to the "Redskins" argument. That arguent seems like you copping out of honroring US servicemen. Plus, over 82% of Washington's population is either African American or Latin American which made up the men of the "Tuskegee Airmen." Honoring the men that made up part of that group ("Red Tails") would be a great way of honroing the community.

The article mentioned the color scheme "red white and blue, but I think red 'silver" and blue would be better given that was the primary colors used by the US air corps in WW2.
1594605863051.png

-----

Red Wolves is apparently gaining traction:

106587511_307583167040409_2518741385255886954_n.jpg

Red Wolves is apparently gaining traction:

106587511_307583167040409_2518741385255886954_n.jpg
If that would be their new jerseys, it would be an absolute embarrassment.

WWII history buffs will recognize the link between the planes and the Redtails name more so than the general public. Hope the team helps educate the public on it if indeed that’s the choice.

Two people with knowledge of the team’s plans said Sunday that the preferred replacement name is tied up in a trademark fight, which is why the team can’t announce the new name Monday..../ Rivera said he and Snyder had come up with two names that Rivera really liked. He did not reveal the names but said he wanted to confer with Native American and military organizations to make sure that the new name properly honored both.

If this is true, this narrows down the possibilities. Red Tails could be a trademark issue. Senators and Warrior could also be a trademark issue given their usage with other teams. The Warriors would be the only one that would be "military." Red Tails seems like one of the two.

---

If this is true, this narrows down the possibilities. Red Tails could be a trademark issue. Senators and Warrior could also be a trademark issue given their usage with other teams. The Warriors would be the only one that would be "military." Red Tails seems like one of the two.

---
From what I’ve heard the Nationals own the Senators trademark. Personally, I don’t think a Senators named team would work today.
The Warriors might be a trademark issue. Correct me if I’m wrong, the League had to negotiate with MLB for NY to keep the Giants name. That’s why they’re always referred to as the “NY Football Giants.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom