N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad day in America when the mob pressure wins over history because they are so easily offended and want to label everything as racist. A little bit of fact checking and history studying they would've learned that it was in honor and respect of Native Americans. What's next? Will they go after Saints because anything with a religious connotation is offensive to the atheists of the world?

I don't get why people keep repeating such lines. If mob pressure brings sad days, we have been miserable from a long, long time.

And that "research" that you did: no, it was not to honor anyone, and no, atheists don't give a damn about a football team calling themselves "Saints".

It was a private enterprise who did their own fact checking and made great strides to make sure it wasn't offensive to Native Americans of the time.
The only reaction to this is LOL.

By no means am I always in favor of the “cancel“ mentality, but this is NOT the hill upon which one should die. The name was Redskins. If that isn’t a derogatory name, then I’m not sure what is. Our familiarity with the nickname and its associations doesn’t make it less so. I hope they go with Redtails and keep the unis/colors as is.

I feel the same way. I don't agree with a lot of the cancel movement but when it comes to this particular situation I'm in total agreement. A slur should not be used for a sports nickname. There's really no grey area here. It's cut and dried, right and wrong. Should've been changed years ago.

This is certainly not the hill you want to die on. There are far more important hills that are easier to defend than this one. With all of the historical figures being judged based upon the current zeitgeist you should have plenty to choose from.

Slaves were also branded with just about every letter of the alphabet, as well as every letter of the Greek alphabet, and hundreds of different symbols including hearts, pitchforks, and one very similar to the current University of Texas logo. Literally thousands of different letters and symbols. The names of every team and every thing and every person are spelled using characters that were once used to brand people.

And the Nazis covered numbers.

I feel the same way. I don't agree with a lot of the cancel movement but when it comes to this particular situation I'm in total agreement. A slur should not be used for a sports nickname. There's really no grey area here. It's cut and dried, right and wrong. Should've been changed years ago.

This is certainly not the hill you want to die on. There are far more important hills that are easier to defend than this one. With all of the historical figures being judged based upon the current zeitgeist you should have plenty to choose from.

Yeah, I agree. The 'they're cancelling everything and everythings racist now' folks may have some point in other scenarios, but the Washington Redskins name change isn't one that favors their complaints. It's very clearly a pretty awful name. But then again, I don't lament and troll the web incessantly when a bottle of syrup gets a name change.

Priorities in life and all that.

I heard Dan Patrick talking about this this morning, so I looked up an article to go along with it. Basically, as soon as this started coming up again a few weeks ago, a guy went out and trademarked like 44 possible new team names, including the Washington Redtails and Warriors. He's hoping they'll want one of them and have to pay him for it. I wondered about this when possible new names started flying around, especially the Redtails one that seemed to be the most popular. Anyway, pretty smart if it works out and he ends up getting paid.

Sad day in America when the mob pressure wins over history because they are so easily offended and want to label everything as racist. A little bit of fact checking and history studying they would've learned that it was in honor and respect of Native Americans. What's next? Will they go after Saints because anything with a religious connotation is offensive to the atheists of the world?

I don't think it's a sad day in America at all. When it comes to this issue I think it's a proud day in America. It's like we finally woke up and realized that using an ethnic slur for a team name isn't right. Snyder finally acknowledged that fact and he's taking steps to correct it.

You say they came up with that name to honor and respect Native Americans. Maybe "Redskins" was an acceptable term at the time but it certainly isn't now. Different races have been called several things that are now no longer acceptable. They used to call African Americans "colored". If a sports team was called the "Birmingham Coloreds" that wouldn't be acceptable. How about the "San Francisco Orientals"? That would obviously need to be corrected. But when it comes to Native Americans some people don't have a problem with a slur being used for a name. Why is that?

Last edited:
I heard Dan Patrick talking about this this morning, so I looked up an article to go along with it. Basically, as soon as this started coming up again a few weeks ago, a guy went out and trademarked like 44 possible new team names, including the Washington Redtails and Warriors. He's hoping they'll want one of them and have to pay him for it. I wondered about this when possible new names started flying around, especially the Redtails one that seemed to be the most popular. Anyway, pretty smart if it works out and he ends up getting paid.

As Dan Snyder is an absolute tool, I don't feel sorry for him in the least.

Since that dude didn't seem to trademark every word in the dictionary, they should go with
Washington Fox

At least some of those animals are already red. :scratch:

Since that dude didn't seem to trademark every word in the dictionary, they should go with
Washington Fox

At least some of those animals are already red. :scratch:

giphy.gif

it amazes me people don't understand the difference between Redskin and Seminole, Chief, Brave, etc. Redskin is no different than any other racial slur.
It's ok to be racists, as long as its "history".

It's always amazing to witness people who are not impacted by the slur discuss this topic. Comments are always predictable, but still cause me to shake my head in amazement every time. Not impacted by the slur AND not even fans of the team AND don't live in the region AND will not be impacted one way or the other. Whew.

so, if i am not black, or Jewish or Native American etc, I cannot voice my opinion in morally wrong situations? Washington Redskins not much different than Washington N's, or Washington Kikes or the Washington Wetbacks, Washington Spics, Washington Chinks Etc.. Are you ok with any of those names if a new team wanted to use those slurs as a team name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom