N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't walk up to a person of ethnicity, that you do not know personally, and call them by that slur then it isn't something you should use in everyday conversation, much less a team name..

I heard Dan Patrick talking about this this morning, so I looked up an article to go along with it. Basically, as soon as this started coming up again a few weeks ago, a guy went out and trademarked like 44 possible new team names, including the Washington Redtails and Warriors. He's hoping they'll want one of them and have to pay him for it. I wondered about this when possible new names started flying around, especially the Redtails one that seemed to be the most popular. Anyway, pretty smart if it works out and he ends up getting paid.

I recall legal precedent has been set for this in the past, and it's not good for the opportunists. For example, I understand a couple of guys trademarked a name/catchphrase associated with Tim Tebow before he entered the NFL, presuming he'd register it and give them a payoff. Court found in Tebow's favour, as he basically had a realistic and established claim to it's legitimate use IIRC.

(Much as I'd enjoy Snyder losing on this deal.)

Last edited:
I used to teach a unit on Native American Literature in my English classes. Toward the end, we would research, debate, and discuss what I called "The Mascot Issue." (The school I taught at for 12 years uses Indians as a mascot) I always showed this clip from the Daily Show at some point. The best part is he gets a panel of staunch Redskins supporters, who say there's nothing wrong with the name. He asks them if a Native American were standing right in front of them, would they feel comfortable calling them "Redskin" to their faces. They all basically say "Oh hell yeah, ain't nothing wrong with that!" Well, he brings in a whole group of Native Americans, and the fan panel stares at their shoes, acts all shy and timid, and then try to go back on everything they said. Priceless.

I recall legal precedent has been set for this in the past, and it's not good for the opportunists. For example, I understand a couple of guys trademarked a name/catchphrase associated with Tim Tebow before he entered the NFL, presuming he'd register it and give them a payoff. Court found in Tebow's favour, as he basically had a realistic and established claim to it's legitimate use IIRC.

(Much as I'd enjoy Snyder losing on this deal.)
There is precedent with URL names, although IIRC that was based on trademark law. That was a very common practice in the 90's, people registering URLs looking for huge paydays from established companies.

This guy, he's just gambling a few hundred bucks that Washington would want to get this over quickly and throw a few thousand dlls his way.

From what I understand, they are trying to keep "Red" in the name, or at least have a name that begins with "R" so that they can keep their twitter hashtag #httr (Hail to the ********). Therefore, I propose the name "Washington Redrum"

Off to copyright that now before that Va dude beats me to it.

As far as the Red Wolves, I believe they'd have to come to some sort of financial agreement with Arkansas State University as they are already the Red Wolves.

From what I understand, they are trying to keep "Red" in the name, or at least have a name that begins with "R" so that they can keep their twitter hashtag #httr (Hail to the ********). Therefore, I propose the name "Washington Redrum"

Off to copyright that now before that Va dude beats me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom