N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, they are trying to keep "Red" in the name, or at least have a name that begins with "R" so that they can keep their twitter hashtag #httr (Hail to the ********). Therefore, I propose the name "Washington Redrum"

Off to copyright that now before that Va dude beats me to it.

As far as the Red Wolves, I believe they'd have to come to some sort of financial agreement with Arkansas State University as they are already the Red Wolves.

You saying Arkansas State owns the Red Wolves nickname and nobody else can use it? It’s not uncommon for college and pro teams to have the same nickname. Tigers, Indians, Hurricanes, Broncos, Bears, 49ers, cardinals, bulls, warriors, etc.

Though I am definitely pro-name change, I do think the name should embody Native American culture and imagery, but in a more honorable sense.

I like either Washington Warriors, or maybe something like the Washington Natives.

Red Tails isn't bad, but just feels a bit forced based on our current political climate.

You saying Arkansas State owns the Red Wolves nickname and nobody else can use it? It’s not uncommon for college and pro teams to have the same nickname. Tigers, Indians, Hurricanes, Broncos, Bears, 49ers, cardinals, bulls, warriors, etc.

Just repeating what I've been told and what I've read.
All the teams you mentioned have been around for decades. Modern times appear to be a bit different as far as TM and Copyright laws.

Just repeating what I've been told and what I've read.
All the teams you mentioned have been around for decades. Modern times appear to be a bit different as far as TM and Copyright laws.

Well the name “Washington Redwovles” has been trademarked by a real estate agent in Alexandria Virginia along with a dozen other potential names. That’s a different story. I don’t think Arkansas State owns the term Red Wolves. If you read something saying the Redskins would owe Arkansas State something, please link the article.

Here lies the huge gap in understanding and perception. You see Uncle Ben as a rice grower? Looks to me like the usual highly underpaid African American porters of that time.

On subject, why can't they go the Florida St route and just name them after an actual native american nation of that area? Shawnee? Algonquins? Powhatan?

This that complicated?
I agree with you. I don’t understand why they can’t be the Navajo, Cherokee, Choctaw, or the bad boy Sioux, or Blackhaeks like hockey. That should be the end of it but trust me it won’t be because that is really not the issue here. The people making the most noise are people who want to argue everything. They just like conflict and negativity.

Washington Red Hawks- after the red tail hawk. If two hawk team names are allowed in the league that is.

Well the name “Washington Redwovles” has been trademarked by a real estate agent in Alexandria Virginia along with a dozen other potential names. That’s a different story. I don’t think Arkansas State owns the term Red Wolves. If you read something saying the Redskins would owe Arkansas State something, please link the article.

It doesn't work that way.
However, he didn't do "Airmen." They could use "Airmen" to represent all of the Tuskegee Airmen.

What an imbecile! Or Am I for watching it?

----

I thought you had to actually use the trademark in order for the claim to be valid.

Virginia man trademarks dozens of possible new names for Washington NFL team

Among the names he owns the trademark rights to are “Redtails” and “Red Wolves”.
He initially said he’d give the names to the NFL for free in order to help make the needed name change... but has since changed his tune and is looking to get paid. I hope he makes the NFL and Dan Snyder grab their ankles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom