N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that there is a guy in Alabama that trade marked this name in the hopes that some day Birmingham would have an NFL team.

-----

So because a SID made the decision to change the nickname to Ragin Cajuns 60 years ago, that means all Cajuns today are cool with that being a college nickname? They already had to retire the Cajun Man mascot because it was called racist.
💯

So because a SID made the decision to change the nickname to Ragin Cajuns 60 years ago, that means all Cajuns today are cool with that being a college nickname? They already had to retire the Cajun Man mascot because it was called racist.

I don't remember that dude. I remember a bulldog named "Ragin cajun." I used to coach the son of the owner of the dog. I graduated in 1994.

---

I don't remember that dude. I remember a bulldog named "Ragin cajun." I used to coach the son of the owner of the dog. I graduated in 1994.

---

Supposedly that was their first Cajun mascot after they switched from Bulldogs to Cajuns. That was in the 70’s so I’m guessing that’s when this was. You can see a picture in this ugly mascots article:

I wonder if Washington is going to go full nascar/Confederate flag and ban any redskins logo/name in the stadium

Chiefs strike first, we'll see what Washington does
=========================================================

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) The Kansas City Chiefs will prohibit the wearing of Native American headdresses, face paint and clothing at Arrowhead Stadium.

They also are discussing the future of the iconic tomahawk chop as they address what many consider racist imagery associated with their franchise.

The team said in a statement Thursday that the changes came after conversations with national organizations that work closely on issues that affect Native Americans. They also come on the heels of the NFL team in Washington choosing to drop Redskins as its nickname after a long and often contentious dialogue with fans and the public. .....................

Chiefs strike first, we'll see what Washington does
=========================================================

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) The Kansas City Chiefs will prohibit the wearing of Native American headdresses, face paint and clothing at Arrowhead Stadium.

They also are discussing the future of the iconic tomahawk chop as they address what many consider racist imagery associated with their franchise.

The team said in a statement Thursday that the changes came after conversations with national organizations that work closely on issues that affect Native Americans. They also come on the heels of the NFL team in Washington choosing to drop Redskins as its nickname after a long and often contentious dialogue with fans and the public. .....................

I think they’re most likely going to go the same route the Warriors did by slowly removing the Native American imagery and give the franchise a new logo.

On subject, why can't they go the Florida St route and just name them after an actual native american nation of that area? Shawnee? Algonquins? Powhatan?

This that complicated?

Few know the story about FSU. Several years ago the NCAA ruled that teams could no longer be named for Native Americans. The Seminole Nation immediately threatened the NCAA with legal action because FSU actively recruits students from the Seminole Reservations, sponsors a student trip to their campus yearly, and established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the reservations to attend Florida State University. Contrary to what many believe, the Seminole Nation does not receive direct payments from FSU, but the economic impact and educational benefits to the Seminole Nation gave them standing for legal action against the NCAA. The NCAA backed down without a shot fired.

I don't think this will be the end of this...the same folks who had a problem with the name will also, sooner or later, have a problem with Washington and D.C.

American indians were a symbol for the United States. I don't understand why we can't have symbols celebrating them. Just like Uncle Ben. The dude was known for growing great rice. I just don't understand the arguments. But since everything has to be rewritten these days, Redtails sounds like the best choice to me. Something will be wrong with that too I presume.

Because there is a mainstream movement to teach Marxism as the new normal in academia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom