N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Or one that they would likely go with? As someone who doesn't care that the name is changing, I'm curious to see what they go with. It will probably be something as bland as "Nationals" to go with the DC naming convention.

Generals is one people apparently are liking:

Now to my personal favorite, for its history and the fact it kinda rolls off the tongue (though it could cause confusion to those who don't know about the origin) -- Washington RedTails:

What are your favorites and the one you think they will go with? I'm split between these two as the one that will be chosen.

American indians were a symbol for the United States. I don't understand why we can't have symbols celebrating them. Just like Uncle Ben. The dude was known for growing great rice. I just don't understand the arguments. But since everything has to be rewritten these days, Redtails sounds like the best choice to me. Something will be wrong with that too I presume.

I don't think anything will be wrong with RedTails. It salutes some of the best airmen in the WWII era.

I guess I'll ask because I think it's important -- if folks think there's no real issue with 'Redskins', do you also see no issue with calling the team 'Blackskins'?

Anyone could interpret that as 'celebrating them' too...

American indians were a symbol for the United States. I don't understand why we can't have symbols celebrating them. Just like Uncle Ben. The dude was known for growing great rice. I just don't understand the arguments. But since everything has to be rewritten these days, Redtails sounds like the best choice to me. Something will be wrong with that too I presume.

A racial slur is not "celebrating" them. Maybe if it was Warriors or Chiefs you might be able to make that argument (probably very poorly) but it being a straight up slur negates this "honoring and celebrating" them nonsense.

What are your favorites and the one you think they will go with? I'm split between these two as the one that will be chosen.

I think they should be called the Washington Sweet Peaches, in honor of Robert “Sweet Peach” Meachem and one of the best plays I’ve ever seen when he stripped an intercepted pass from a Washington defender and then returned it for a TD.

My only concern would be the nectarine lobbyists getting offended that their fruit isn’t being represented.

Here lies the huge gap in understanding and perception. You see Uncle Ben as a rice grower? Looks to me like the usual highly underpaid African American porters of that time.

On subject, why can't they go the Florida St route and just name them after an actual native american nation of that area? Shawnee? Algonquins? Powhatan?

This that complicated?

Have you tried to understand the arguments?
Are they too confusing?
What’s keeping you from understanding as you see it?

This is amazing. I would like to see life from this perspective one day.

The problems with the oversimplification of history in your post aside, do you think it would be appropriate for white allies of the BLM movement to wear blackface as a sign of respect and solidarity?

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom