N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Football Team Formerly Known as the Washington Redskins"

I like Washington Football Team. Rivera has a good thing. Best defensive line in football. He is a good coach and a good person. I’m glad he is out of the NFC South.

There may be no new name

Seems like an odd option

Definitely a different dynamic than a relocated team but I'm curious what the increase in jersey/merch sales were from the last year of Colts vs first year of the Ravens and Oilers/Titans

Or close to home and a more similar situation - Bullets to Wizards
========================

The Washington Football Team could remain without a name permanently, president Jason Wright said.

"It's definitely in the running," Wright told ESPN's John Keim. "I don't think anything is off the table … With this one, people are excited about the idea of a club has an identity rooted solely in the area it represents. Maybe it's Football Team or it's Football Club. We need to get underneath the why, so no matter what direction we go, we can pull on the heartstrings of folks."

Washington retired the Redskins name before the season amid pressure from many of its marquee sponsors. First Nations groups had long decried the name for its racial connotation.

Wright previously suggested a rebrand featuring a new name may not be feasible by 2021 because of logistical challenges involving jerseys, apparel, and merchandise................

I was having a debate with my girlfriend about the new team name whatever it ends up being

I think they should keep the same color scheme of burgundy and yellow to keep some tie to tradition

She thinks they should change for a total clean break and new start - she likes red, white and blue to stay in line with the Nationals, Wizards and Caps

That color scheme would've made more sense for a DC-based team. But of course every time I see that color scheme I can't help but think of the Houston Oilers...who had my 2nd favorite uniforms ever.

Reading this is just funny...when did these names or nicknames become racist and slurs...it doesn't matter what the new name will be I'm sure someone will find it offensive and if they don't others will simply be offended for them

I’ve thought that changing the name to The Pigskins makes a lot of sense. It still has ‘Skins in the name, it’s the same amount of syllables so it flows the same, ‘pigskin’ is a term long associated with football and it harkens back to their glory days in the 80s as “The Hogs” when fans that would wear pig noses to games (maybe they still do). Makes a lot of sense IMO. Of course the team is still run by Dan Snyder so having decisions make sense isn’t their normal modus operandi.

I’ve thought that changing the name to The Pigskins makes a lot of sense. It still has ‘Skins in the name, it’s the same amount of syllables so it flows the same, ‘pigskin’ is a term long associated with football and it harkens back to their glory days in the 80s as “The Hogs” when fans that would wear pig noses to games (maybe they still do). Makes a lot of sense IMO. Of course the team is still run by Dan Snyder so having decisions make sense isn’t their normal modus operandi.

I've favored Hogs from the get-go. I mean, all their fans were dressing in drag with ladies wigs and pig noses back in the '80s -- and they were making and winning Super Bowls back then, too!

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went with some generic, "can't miss" name like how they already have Nationals and Capitals in DC. sheet, even the one team that plays in that city and doesn't have a generic name, the Wizards, still got their name due to PR nonsense since they were displeased with the connotation a name like Bullets had because the city was overrun with violent crime in the mid-90s yet the name originated in Baltimore decades earlier and was in no way a nod to the situation which influenced the name change.

I think I said this earlier in the thread, but keep the same basic identity (uniforms, helmets, font, etc.) while changing the nickname to Redtails. Instead of the Native American head with the feather, just put a ‘W’ with the redtail airplane wing coming off the left top of the seal.

I see that color scheme I can't help but think of the Houston Oilers...who had my 2nd favorite uniforms ever.

Agreed, i used to like the Oilers and their unis/logo.. To me, that oil derrick on their helmet was by far the most synonymous with the city they represented than any other NFL team with the exception of the Saints/Fleur de lis... Come to think of it, i cant think of another team logo off the top of my head that *truly* represents it’s city.. maybe the Ravens/Baltimore? I guess the Texans as well , with their roadkill logo... ,but i lived in Houston a long time and i never cared for them; to me theyve always seemed too corporate, their stadium sucks, and what’s up with the name ‘Texans’?? Hey, why dont we just name every team after the state they play in? the Seattle Washingtonians? Or the Atlanta Georgians? Texans has never made any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom