N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went with some generic, "can't miss" name like how they already have Nationals and Capitals in DC. sheet, even the one team that plays in that city and doesn't have a generic name, the Wizards, still got their name due to PR nonsense since they were displeased with the connotation a name like Bullets had because the city was overrun with violent crime in the mid-90s yet the name originated in Baltimore decades earlier and was in no way a nod to the situation which influenced the name change.

Connotations and situations change

If there was a long term team called say the Las Vegas Virus, people might feel differently about the name this year than last

Starburst changed their long time "The juice is loose" slogan after the OJ trial

Agreed, i used to like the Oilers and their unis/logo.. To me, that oil derrick on their helmet was by far the most synonymous with the city they represented than any other NFL team with the exception of the Saints/Fleur de lis... Come to think of it, i cant think of another team logo off the top of my head that *truly* represents it’s city.. maybe the Ravens/Baltimore? I guess the Texans as well , with their roadkill logo... ,but i lived in Houston a long time and i never cared for them; to me theyve always seemed too corporate, their stadium sucks, and what’s up with the name ‘Texans’?? Hey, why dont we just name every team after the state they play in? the Seattle Washingtonians? Or the Atlanta Georgians? Texans has never made any sense to me.

The Houston ownership totally blew it going with Texans instead of Toros. I mean they even named their mascot that so it's not like the name didn't cross their minds!!!

l0dzv1t0uwy680jxvxfq.jpg

Texans. blech

There's a really cool softball team out here called the Fightin' Nic Cages.
In that spirit how about the Washington Drunk Lobbyists? Have the symbol be a dollar sign on a pint of brew.

I agree with the previous suggestions that Generals or Hogs would be great. Very fitting.

Reading this is just funny...when did these names or nicknames become racist and slurs...it doesn't matter what the new name will be I'm sure someone will find it offensive and if they don't others will simply be offended for them

Always.... it's always been a racist slur no matter how much people just accepted it. Not everything is offensive nor racist nor a slur. This is extremely faulty logic. I'm sure everyone will find any chemical I'm spilling into the water supply as dangerous so therefore I should be allowed to dump whatever I want because where does it end?

Agreed, i used to like the Oilers and their unis/logo.. To me, that oil derrick on their helmet was by far the most synonymous with the city they represented than any other NFL team with the exception of the Saints/Fleur de lis... Come to think of it, i cant think of another team logo off the top of my head that *truly* represents it’s city.. maybe the Ravens/Baltimore? I guess the Texans as well , with their roadkill logo... ,but i lived in Houston a long time and i never cared for them; to me theyve always seemed too corporate, their stadium sucks, and what’s up with the name ‘Texans’?? Hey, why dont we just name every team after the state they play in? the Seattle Washingtonians? Or the Atlanta Georgians? Texans has never made any sense to me.

Maybe the Steelers with their steel logo? But yeah the Oilers unis were iconic. I can't see one without seeing #34 plowing over people. Still my fave running back of all time.

Maybe the Steelers with their steel logo? But yeah the Oilers unis were iconic. I can't see one without seeing #34 plowing over people. Still my fave running back of all time.

yeah, forgot about that- Steelers logo is definitely legit... and I’ve always liked how they left one side blank, not sure why but just always thought it was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom