N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a Native American and I’m not black so I can’t really relate to what it’s like having things like statues or names of buildings or the names of sports teams offend me. But shouldn’t the chiefs, braves, black hawks, and others have to change their names as well? If changing these things makes life better for someone then I’m all for it. I just don’t see how these insignificant things can help at all.
Those names also have their detractors, but "Chief" and "Brave" aren't used as epithets.

Black Hawk is the name of an Indian leader from a tribe indigenous to the midwest. It could be seen as patronizing, I suppose, but would it be any more offensive than naming a team the "Lincolns?"

Come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad candidate if the Black Hawks decided to change their name. "Land of Lincoln" and all that.

Nah. I've known many Rummel kids that were considerably less intelligent than the honors kids I had classes with in public school. Also, bear in mind that the amount of people that hold the "Get over it, snowflake. You're only pretending to be offended!" mentality on matters like this one tends to increase once you get into private schools.
Well Rommel, like Curtis have strict math standards like 5 + 5= 1st down.
As for your second point, that would depend upon the private school.

I’m not a Native American and I’m not black so I can’t really relate to what it’s like having things like statues or names of buildings or the names of sports teams offend me. But shouldn’t the chiefs, braves, black hawks, and others have to change their names as well? If changing these things makes life better for someone then I’m all for it. I just don’t see how these insignificant things can help at all.

Do you not see the difference between Brave and Redskin? How about Zulu Warrior and the N-word? Do you see the difference there?

I'm not sure if people are trying to purposefully be obtuse, or if they just really have no empathy.

Well Rommel, like Curtis have strict math standards like 5 + 5= 1st down.
As for your second point, that would depend upon the private school.

Yeah, I agree with it depending on the private school. I brought up the Rummel vs. the schools I attended thing to point out that it's short sighted to just assume public school educated people are automatically less intelligent than people going to nonpublic schools.

Because the chiefs, braves, Blackhawks, and others aren’t an offensive slang term like redskin.
It’s pretty simple, really
that's because he doesn't think redskin has ever been used to disparage a whole race of people.. he probably thinks kike andrabbi are the same too.. lol.

A bit cryptic, did they decide on a new name? Or is Football Team the name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom