N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems with the oversimplification of history in your post aside, do you think it would be appropriate for white allies of the BLM movement to wear blackface as a sign of respect and solidarity?

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?
I hear what you're saying, completely. However, in turn I would politely ask you to consider that a very large number (and by a very large number, I wouldn't feel that it was a stretch to say it might perhaps be a majority) of those screaming the loudest with these issues are often the same ethnic background as those they are pointing the finger at, claiming insensitivity.

The name or phrase may well be insensitive, in and of itself. But, why don't we leave it up to the offended group to speak for themselves? Moreover, rather than taking the word of those who, at first may have been acting in good faith, but lately have used Twitter to weaponize division and sow more Discord - - in a country that has already suffered and lost too much from artificially-inflated media division the last 5-7 years, or so.

@Da Beast
Wow, you’re reallllllllly late to this conversation. Lol. Are you using dial up internet? Because it literally took you that long man!

I hear what you're saying, completely. However, in turn I would politely ask you to consider that a very large number (and by a very large number, I wouldn't feel that it was a stretch to say it might perhaps be a majority) of those screaming the loudest with these issues are often the same ethnic background as those they are pointing the finger at, claiming insensitivity.

The name or phrase may well be insensitive, in and of itself. But, why don't we leave it up to the offended group to speak for themselves? Moreover, rather than taking the word of those who, at first may have been acting in good faith, but lately have used Twitter to weaponize division and sow more Discord - - in a country that has already suffered and lost too much from artificially-inflated media division the last 5-7 years, or so.
@Da Beast
Wow, you’re reallllllllly late to this conversation. Lol. Are you using dial up internet? Because it literally took you that long man!
So, yes I just started reading this thread. I have other things in my life that occupy my time. I am a father, husband and surgeon. I am the chairman of orthopedic surgery at my hospital here and I have my own practice. So I only get to read threads every once in a while. I’m sorry I am not parked in front of my computer every minute just to respond in a timely enough fashion to suit your tastes. So, sue me.

So, yes I just started reading this thread. I have other things in my life that occupy my time. I am a father, husband and surgeon. I am the chairman of orthopedic surgery at my hospital here and I have my own practice. So I only get to read threads every once in a while. I’m sorry I am not parked in front of my computer every minute just to respond in a timely enough fashion to suit your tastes. So, sue me.
B6BB04FC-9240-44CB-A21B-11C0414F4188.jpeg

Well...1.) Native Americans have raised this multiple times before. Examples can be found all throughout this discussion on SR.

2.) Native Americans now make up about 1.6% of the U.S population. There's more people in the Atlanta metro area. If as many Native Americans raised their concern about the former nickname as there are Falcons fans in the Atlanta metro area, it still wouldn't register on the national stage...just like Falcons fans. But unlike Falcons fans, the small population of Native Americans is not enough reason to continue to allow a racial slur to permeate our national sports scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom