N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems with the oversimplification of history in your post aside, do you think it would be appropriate for white allies of the BLM movement to wear blackface as a sign of respect and solidarity?

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?
Last as I remember, this country was conquered and freedoms were established, but where today many disagree with the fact, the freedoms we all have do not benefit everyone equally!! To be blunt; I cannot help those, but I can help myself and my family, which I have done in a civil, law abiding, respectful way for about 55 years now. For those that believe they are being disrespected, slighted, short-changed, discriminated against, maybe they need to take a look in the mirror and see if there is something they need to personally change about themselves. Either the way they dress, their body, their mentality and outlook towards others....etc. Maybe the native Americans need to do such, since they cannot change history. It really is similar but in a lesser way, to losing a few jobs in your lifetime for things you may not realize was a personal issue with yourself. But changing names of sports teams is trivial.

Last as I remember, this country was conquered and freedoms were established, but where today many disagree with the fact, the freedoms we all have do not benefit everyone equally!! To be blunt; I cannot help those, but I can help myself and my family, which I have done in a civil, law abiding, respectful way for about 55 years now. For those that believe they are being disrespected, slighted, short-changed, discriminated against, maybe they need to take a look in the mirror and see if there is something they need to personally change about themselves. Either the way they dress, their body, their mentality and outlook towards others....etc. Maybe the native Americans need to do such, since they cannot change history. It really is similar but in a lesser way, to losing a few jobs in your lifetime for things you may not realize was a personal issue with yourself. But changing names of sports teams is trivial.

I wish I could change my skin color like I change my clothes.

/sarcasm

I've likely done the same for 30 years, but I do realize that there is a society that is built upon the unfair capitalization of other people's misfortunes. Namely, the oppression and discrimination of people of color. We can if we wish, struggle and squirm with these facts -- but we must face reality.

This idea that folks who believe they are being disrespected just need to look within to find the source of their problems is very clearly erroneous, at least when taken in an absolute sense of the statement.

When you talk about Native Americans, or African Americans, or another group that has traditionally been treated wrongly in this country -- and we talk about ways to make things right and just, you must certainly realize that there are large contrasting views. You may believe the bootstrap method is what works. That folks just need to look at themselves to be the change they want to see. It's just a gross oversimplification. I don't subscribe to that, as logically it only takes a myopic view of what is considered the problem.

Though of course I believe very strongly in the power of the will and mindset of the individual, the reality of the situation is that will and mindset is never a level playing field from the get go. It is people who are provided for on day one, given the best schools, the best mentors and guided down the right path...and it is those who are born into cultures that have been taken advantage of and thus have a higher propensity for failures and hardship through no fault of their own.

This raises quite an obvious asterisk if we're discussing how all people should be able to 'fix themselves' or their cultures.

What I believe in is the reorganization of society for the increased welfare of all people and specifically radically increasing the amount of opportunity for those ethnic groups traditionally oppressed. There is no utopian ideal here, only a moral imperative that demands we as Americans and better yet, good humans -- do what is ultimately right. Utopian would be thinking we could be spending trillions in defense and not provide for veterans at home -- facetious statement, but we all know that's America.

So you will notice likely a strong push for these ideals more and more in our society, along with variations in how to justly achieve them. I'm fine for folks to disagree vehemently with that view -- just provide a decent counterargument.

Last edited:
I’m a Saint and I’m offended by the New Orleans macro. Actually I’m not, not sure why any Redskin, Yankee, Sooner, Hoosier, etc would be offended. Get over it.

tenor.gif

uh...nationality
Mexicans (country) are a race, Chinese (country) are a race, Africans (continent) are a race, so by the same definition, America, or more accurately, United States, is a race.

Mexicans (country) are a race, Chinese (country) are a race, Africans (continent) are a race, so by the same definition, America, or more accurately, United States, is a race.

I think you are confusing race with ethnicity.

So...we're all race-fluid? Because all I have to do is move to become a different race. :scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom