N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m totally ok with the Washington Pilgrims. After all the Patriots logo isn’t racist, so Washington Colonials would work too. Change colors to red , white and blue and put George Washington’s head on the helmet. The jersey sales alone would sky rocket.
But having George Washington's head on the helmet would be met with all kinds of protests...........................................................

Are you purposely conflating my point or not?
I think I was quite clear I was not referring to the "Redskin" name, but referring to non-offensive options, but yet that's how you responded. If you are going to be disingenuous, then what is the point of responding at all. Please do not waste my time again with more nonsense. You do not appear to be a stupid person.

You made a post that defended the use of names honoring this land's indigenous people, equating that to any other such effort. You didn't express obvious opposition to the use of Redskins, which is at the very heart of this issue, but did comment how noble you think the Indian on the helmet looks so, no, it wasn't clear from that post that you appreciated the difference I pointed out. If you meant something else, perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were.

What a sad state this country is in, honestly. Tearing down statues and monuments, burning books, erasing the history of this country, forcing celebrities/devs/anyone who does anything to apologize for something that wasn't intended, and now it's changing the name of a football franchise that's almost a hundred years old. Even then, it's not so much any one of those things as it is the precedent it sets.

On topic, though. I honestly don't really see the big deal with the Redskin name. Anyone can spin anything into being offensive. "I'm an atheist, so the Saints need to change their name", "I hate patriotism, so the patriots need to change their name and colors", "The Browns are mentioning a color in their name, I feel personally attacked", "The Vikings logo is racist/bigoted because it shows a cisgendered white man". You can literally spin any team name any way you want. Doesn't change the fact that only a small minority have have cared about the Redskins until recently. That being said, since this is going to happen regardless, the Red Tails sounds pretty good.

What a sad state this country is in, honestly. Tearing down statues and monuments, burning books, erasing the history of this country, forcing celebrities/devs/anyone who does anything to apologize for something that wasn't intended, and now it's changing the name of a football franchise that's almost a hundred years old. Even then, it's not so much any one of those things as it is the precedent it sets.

On topic, though. I honestly don't really see the big deal with the Redskin name. Anyone can spin anything into being offensive. "I'm an atheist, so the Saints need to change their name", "I hate patriotism, so the patriots need to change their name and colors", "The Browns are mentioning a color in their name, I feel personally attacked", "The Vikings logo is racist/bigoted because it shows a cisgendered white man". You can literally spin any team name any way you want. Doesn't change the fact that only a small minority have have cared about the Redskins until recently. That being said, since this is going to happen regardless, the Red Tails sounds pretty good.

It’s a racial slur against a part of the American population that should of been changed years ago. The fact that the Indians of MLB are thinking about changing their name as well

Washington Foggy Bottom Boys
No. Too similar and could confuse the marketplace. I've worked too hard to build my brand to have it diluted. Don't want it to be remotely associated with a Daniel Snyder-run organization.

Sincerely,
Ulysses Everett McGill

Last edited:
You made a post that defended the use of names honoring this land's indigenous people, equating that to any other such effort. You didn't express obvious opposition to the use of Redskins, which is at the very heart of this issue, but did comment how noble you think the Indian on the helmet looks so, no, it wasn't clear from that post that you appreciated the difference I pointed out. If you meant something else, perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were.

Is this a joke? Stating the depiction of an Amerindian as Noble is not defending the name Redskins. The problem is with you making assumptions and a bad one at that.

I personally find the image of the Native on the helmet to look quite noble and dignified which is ironically better than the Cleveland Indians earlier images used despite the use of an inoffensive name.

How can you not figure it out?

1594135564080.png

He is quite noble!
The discussion is on the use of the term Redskins/ any changes to the name. One could argue that Redskins is offensive but still support the use of Amerindians as a legitimate means of honoring them. There I also many suggestions of various tribes including the use of the term "Americans" as a reference to the native indigenous population. Your equation that the choice of inoffensive alternatives is far from out of bounds as you would have yourself believe.

Our history isn't being erased. The problem is that the sharing and understanding of our history has been grossly incomplete and heavily manipulated to tell a very specific narrative, intentionally at the expense of the very people who were abused and systemically marginalized throughout that history. What we are witnessing is a reckoning of that shameful, deliberate practice.

If you met a black Army colonel, would you expect a very different reaction if you referred to him by his rank or as a Blackskin? That's the difference in the false equivalency made between Vikings and Redskins. Vikings and the military can both be associated with events that might offend some people, but neither carries the same negative connotation that a racially contrived word does.

Is this a joke? Stating the depiction of an Amerindian as Noble is not defending the name Redskins. The problem is with you making assumptions and a bad one at that.

How can you not figure it out?

1594135564080.png

He is quite noble!
The discussion is on the use of the term Redskins/ any changes to the name. One could argue that Redskins is offensive but still support the use of Amerindians as a legitimate means of honoring them. There I also many suggestions of various tribes including the use of the term "Americans" as a reference to the native indigenous population. Your equation that the choice of inoffensive alternatives is far from out of bounds as you would have yourself believe.

So you do agree that the use of Redskins is offensive?

To the other point, I stand by my original comment questioning the sincerity of the co-opting of indigenous culture for the purposes of deriving mascots, particularly for profitable enterprises like pro sports, with long histories of exclusion on the field, in the stands, and among ownership. Yeah, that seems exploitative to me under the conditions of our history.

Generally, I think it's distasteful in any society to market and profit off of people who have been horribly mistreated.

In cases where agreements have been reached with local tribes, I think that's a better approach as opposed to the attitude of just continuing with something because that's just the way it is and we like it fine. I do, however, find the term Redskin to be particularly offensive and outdated.

While I have issues with the way the statements are worded (ex: "erasing history"), in general terms, what you see today is nothing new. Don't make it sound like this is a new phenomenon. You just vehemently disagree with it.

Last edited:
Why does the name have to be about something historical or in honor of something? Why can't we have a regular name like the Washington Cougars or something like that lol

Why does the name have to be about something historical or in honor of something? Why can't we have a regular name like the Washington Cougars or something like that lol

I’m with ya on that. The name shouldn’t have to “honor” anyone. Wildcats, Werewolves, Warriors, etc. Its a mascot of a sports team. People act like it’s gotta be serious or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom