N/S Refs blow call at end of Tennessee/Alabama game (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Alabama blocked the FG on the final play and then the player ripped off his helmet and it also looked like that many players from the Alabama bench came off the field. Yet the ball on the blockfield bounced around the line of scrimage and should not be dead untill its stop rolling. The refs should given the tide a 15 yards flag and another chance for the Vols to kick a fg.

The offense cannot advance or recover the ball on a blocked. It's a turnover on downs or the defense advances the ball if possible.

They got it right.

Vols should have just made 1 of the 3 FG's they blew, then it doesnt matter does it.

Besides refs will NEVER throw a flag when people run on the field like that, its pointless esp. when the Vols could have had this game wrapped up way earlier...

The offense cannot advance or recover the ball on a blocked. It's a turnover on downs or the defense advances the ball if possible.

They got it right.

This.

Even if they would have called the penalty it still woulda been Bama's ball...

No Tennesse blew the game for not going for the TD! Their kicker had been horrible all game. They had over a minute left on the click after that pass completion. I knew they were going to screw up. I was screaming no no you idiots. They are idiots and get no sympathy from me!

Oh and the Alabama player picked up and advanced the ball before taking a knee btw...

really thought a fake field goal was coming..... after the last field goal attempt.....

according to the announcers the ball until touched is live, therfore when the alabama player took his helmet off it should have been a 15 penalty and re kick

They got it right.

The offense can recover and advance a blocked kick. According to the NCAA rules, A scrimmage kick that fails to cross the neutral zone is in play. Anyone can recover and advance the ball. Now if the ball goes beyond the neutral zone, the offense can't advance unless a defensive player touches the ball first.

according to the announcers the ball until touched is live, therfore when the alabama player took his helmet off it should have been a 15 penalty and re kick

The ball can become dead if no one touches the ball and the ball is at rest. Alabama did finally recover it.

Because Alabama blocked and recovered the ball, Alabama had possession. The game can't end on a defensive penalty, but because of the possession change, Alabama wasn't on defense. We'll let SEC spokesman Charles Bloom take it from here.

"The foul for taking helmet off is a live ball foul treated as a dead-ball foul," Bloom wrote in an e-mail Saturday night. "That is, if it happens on a play where time does not expire then the penalty is enforced on the following play. However since the clock ran out on that play, then there is no next play, so there is no penalty to mark off."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/10/24/alabama-tennessee/

I couldn't believe Tn's coaches sat on the ball with 40+ secs to allow a FG kicker who had missed 2 other kicks a chance at another 45 yd+ FG. You had to help your kicker out there by trying to get better field position for him.

If they go for more yards and throw a pick or fumble then everyone would be bagging on Kiffin for not lining up for a field goal. He said in his press conference that his kicker was well within his range from pregame warmups and at some point you decide to not take any more chances and take your kick. I have no problem with the decision.

If they go for more yards and throw a pick or fumble then everyone would be bagging on Kiffin for not lining up for a field goal. He said in his press conference that his kicker was well within his range from pregame warmups and at some point you decide to not take any more chances and take your kick. I have no problem with the decision.

That's Lane Kiffin for you. He doesn't play to win, he plays to not be embarrassed or criticized.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom