n/S - Report: Chargers likely to move to LA beginning in 2012 (1 Viewer)

Jetsfan115

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Report: Chargers likely to move to LA beginning in 2012

T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times reports that, provided the groundwork is done to build a new downtown events center in the next year, fans should expect the Chargers to announce shortly after 2/1/2012 that they are moving to Los Angeles for the 2012 football season.

Talk to anyone who has spent time with Chargers owner Dean Spanos — and Spanos already has a pretty good idea of the endgame. Ordinarily, that's a loss in the playoffs, but now it's all about moving to L.A. The Chargers probably will announce soon they will not be exercising their Feb. 1-May 1 escape clause from their stadium lease next year because they really have nowhere to go.

San Diego's last shot, and probably its only chance to keep the Chargers, rests on a November 2012 ballot measure that probably will never materialize. City officials and the Chargers would have to agree on the language for such a ballot measure sometime during 2011 and probably no later than early 2012. If they could find common ground, such a measure authorizing the spending of public money on a new stadium would need strong political backing. Most observers believe politicians will not show such support, instead leaving it up to voters. If local politicians don't line up strongly behind such a ballot measure, there would be little incentive for the Chargers to spend money on campaigning for such a losing measure.

San Diego has never really embraced the Spanos family, more affectionately known in this space as the Spanos Goofs. The Chargers have failed to sell out home games, leading to local TV blackouts, and management more often than not comes across as a dictatorship exhibiting poor judgment than as a community asset.

The Chargers will be calling the Coliseum their temporary home — a return to their roots, having spent the first season of their existence playing there as the Los Angeles Chargers in 1960.

Expect them to become the once and future Los Angeles Chargwers.

That's pretty big news. I know that Magic Johnson has been all over the news talking about how he's preparing to become part owner of an existing NFL team and move them to LA.....probably is the Chargers.

My feeling is that there will be two teams here in a few years. With two new stadiums. The Vikes and Jags will still play the LA market for their leverage in their own relocation threats, and the Jags will end up coming out here too.

This makes perfect sense.

Move a team that can't sell out it's games and has little fan support to a city that's already had and lost two NFL teams due to not being able to sell out games and little fan support.

God I love the NFL.

This makes perfect sense.

Move a team that can't sell out it's games and has little fan support to a city that's already had and lost two NFL teams due to not being able to sell out games and little fan support.

God I love the NFL.

Billionaires and their money....it really is crazy. There is a report out here every other night on some new plan to build some new billion dollar stadium for a team that has not agreed to move out here. It's pretty amazing...

I love the city of San Diego but my experience at their Stadium (watching Drew Brees beat us handily vs Aaron "The backwards pass" Brooks) was a bad one, their fans were complete jerks. Makes San Diego a more attractive place for me to want to live having them gone lol

If Simers is reporting it, there is no basis for the information. He had the Saints in LA multiple times as a done deal. He is a typical media attention hog.

The Chargers would be a good fit for L.A. Especially if they built a new stadium a little south of the city, that way present Chargers fans could drive up for games more easily. I mean between these two cities they should be able to sufficiently support an NFL franchise right ? Maybe ?

The Chargers would be a good fit for L.A. Especially if they built a new stadium a little south of the city, that way present Chargers fans could drive up for games more easily. I mean between these two cities they should be able to sufficiently support an NFL franchise right ? Maybe ?

On paper that sounds reasonable, but if you visit Chargers' forums and listen to their fans many have a strong distaste for L.A., and say that if the team were to move there they would renounce their fandom no matter how close the new venue would be.

LA is a basketball town. As soon as the Lakers start playing no one will care about the Chargers or any other football team the NFL forces into that city. Expect the same results from when the Raiders and Rams were both there.

if a team HAS to move to L.A. (and we all know that's true), I hope it's the Chargers only because it won't mess up divisional alignments. it'll be neat & clean.

no way no how should they get a 2ND team.

If Los Angles really wanted a football team, after 15 years they would have made significant attempts to get one.

Does anyone realistically think that the residents of Los Angles are going to come out in droves to support the Jags or Chargers when they already have USC?

Sounds to me like the owners just want to expand their cash cow with new stadium revenue and blackmailing the city to subsidise pro football at taxpayer expense.

I say if the chargers want to move, let them go. I'm sure the Raiders and Rams will attest to how much success they can expect in the (probably consistantly blacked out) Los Angelas market.

Can you please provide a link to this "report?" Forum rules ;) I think this is nothing more than an LA reporter trying to drum up interest and provide "his" viewpoint.

I live out here in San Diego and there has been nothing on the news,in the papers, or through my sources about them moving. In fact, anytime it is brought up, they talk about the difficulty in making that happen. Here's an article talking just about that: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/01/dont-expect-bolts-book-moving-vans-anytime-soon/

The main topic is the "minority" share of the team being offered up. I'm not saying your report is wrong, but I have my "ways" of getting info and there has been nothing close to what is in the report being said.

The city of San Diego, much like every other city in California, is extremely hard strapped for cash. The only way I see any sort of movement about a new stadium...in either SD or LA is if it is 100% privately financed. The voters just aren't going to approve that kind of funding for sports, when the rest of our state is in complete shambles. Believe me...there are a ton of Liberals out there and they couldn't even pass legalizing weed in the last election, when I seem to the be the only one out here that doesn't do it!

San Diego is very different from New Orleans in the way of fans. In New Orleans, we are all Saints fans because that is and always will be our team...most of us who live there are born and raised there. Out here in San Diego, it's a very transient city. You have a lot of military and others who move in for a few years and then leave. Those that do come here (like me) stay strong to our roots and back our home team (Saints). I go to watch the games every weekend here and it's a mirage of different jerseys. Where as back home...it's 99.9% Saints. San Diego has one other thing going for it and that's the weather. Too many people will pick going to the beach over going to the game.

The current stadium (Qualcomm) is a complete trainwreck of a place. It's old, it's outdated, it's dirty and the closer you look...you can tell it is falling apart. The one thing it does have going for it is that it has some kick butt tailgating...TONS of space around the stadium!!! I've been known to walk over and tailgate and then leave 30 minutes before the game to head to the sports bar...so I can see my Saints, of course :)

I think the Vikings are MUCH closer to making the move to LA before the Chargers. Heck, I think the Jaguars are even closer than the Chargers at this point. The new CBA and the economy of 2011/12 will have a big impact upon the fate of the Chargers. For now, it's just posturing of the Chargers' owners and the NFL to make some headway...in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom