N/S Report: Clowney runs a 4.5 40 at 270 pounds (1 Viewer)

I don't care how many Hiesmans Mr. Pretentious nickname wins. You take the LeBron James level athlete 1st EVERY time.

Clowney is one of those guys that almost could've gone to the NFL right out of high school. They're rarer than rare. But he's one of them. Adrian Peterson was another. And so was Calvin Johnson.

I think Leonard Fornette (St Aug) could have success also

I don't care how many Hiesmans Mr. Pretentious nickname wins. You take the LeBron James level athlete 1st EVERY time.

Clowney is one of those guys that almost could've gone to the NFL right out of high school. They're rarer than rare. But he's one of them. Adrian Peterson was another. And so was Calvin Johnson.

I like A&M a little more than UT. That's like comparing the excitement of a crown versus a root canal. But the kid from A&M had a freshman season like no other QB in college history. If he plays to that level again next year, he's lock for #1 pick.

While I'm sure the "Free Farm League" does have some to do with it, Football is nothing like Basket Ball, Tennis, Soccer, Base Ball, etc. Football is 100 times more physical than these sports combined. While there are a few Freak Athletes that could possibly compete with NFL professionals, they would be as rare real photo's of Big Foot.

College is a time for players to develop physically and mentally. Megatron is a great WR, but unless he ran go routes learning a NFL playbook and taking NFL hits at 18 years old is a lot different than at 20-21 after some time in a college strength and conditioning training program.

A lot of great College Athletes don't even succeed in the NFL, how would a kid straight out of High School. The speed levels between High School and College is hard enough, the speed level of High School to NFL would be truly overwhelming.

While I'm sure the "Free Farm League" does have some to do with it, Football is nothing like Basket Ball, Tennis, Soccer, Base Ball, etc. Football is 100 times more physical than these sports combined. While there are a few Freak Athletes that could possibly compete with NFL professionals, they would be as rare real photo's of Big Foot.

College is a time for players to develop physically and mentally. Megatron is a great WR, but unless he ran go routes learning a NFL playbook and taking NFL hits at 18 years old is a lot different than at 20-21 after some time in a college strength and conditioning training program.

A lot of great College Athletes don't even succeed in the NFL, how would a kid straight out of High School. The speed levels between High School and College is hard enough, the speed level of High School to NFL would be truly overwhelming.
Very true for 99.9% of the football players coming out of High School but these RARE players could play one season of college football and compete in the pros. IMO.

I definitely agree with this 100%. The game of football is played by men, mentally and physically mature men, not some over hyped children coming out of high school.

The game of NFL football is fast, unrelentless, and complex. A player coming into the NFL have to digust a ton of information from playbooks in a short amount of time and perform at the level a season vet.

Manziel had a redshirt year, so next year will be his third year, making him eligible for the draft.

I know he's eligible; I just said there's no GUARANTEE he declares, much like how Bradford could have declared after his sophomore year, but didn't. QBs often want to take the time to hone their skills at the college level before jumping to the pros. It's all the more likely sophomores stay for their junior year, much less all the juniors who want to stay for their senior year.

I definitely agree with this 100%. The game of football is played by men, mentally and physically mature men, not some over hyped children coming out of high school.

The game of NFL football is fast, unrelentless, and complex. A player coming into the NFL have to digust a ton of information from playbooks in a short amount of time and perform at the level a season vet.

th
th

These 2 guys disagree with your statements.

The rule should be changed that allows college players with 2 years of eligibility used in college be allowed to declare for the NFL draft. This would allow a player like Clowney to be eligible this year.
Let the free market (NFL teams and their scouting departments) decide if these players are NFL ready. Let the teams develop a player. I would rather the Saints (and Payton) develop a player, specifically an offensive player, than to run a watered down offense in college that might be hindering development (LSU anybody?).

Johnny is only a sophomore next year; no guarantee he declares. Clowney is (this early in the game) peerless. But there's a whole football season left to be played.

If Manziel has another season like he did this year, he will be the no.1 pick. If the zone-read does well again in the NFL this season despite coaches breaking down that film from redskins, seahawks, 49'ers all offseason and failed to stop it.

Reports have already surfaced he was considering leaving early. If he wins another trophy, there would be no reason to go back to A&M.

Back to the point. Clowney is a freak, and at this point, projected to likely be the first overall pick next year. I wouldn't doubt he could run in the 4.5 - 4.6 range. Even with all that said, and if it is even true, a hand clocked 40 at practice is not super accurate. We'll see what he runs, when he runs it next year.

Back to the point. Clowney is a freak, and at this point, projected to likely be the first overall pick next year. I wouldn't doubt he could run in the 4.5 - 4.6 range. Even with all that said, and if it is even true, a hand clocked 40 at practice is not super accurate. We'll see what he runs, when he runs it next year.

Exactly. A hand clocked 40 is about as reliable as a speedometer on a boat.

The rule is the damn rule. It's the way it is. The NFL and NBA are trade associations that have the right to set their own bylaws and regulations. Just like every other job out there, there are age/experience restrictions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom