N/S Report: Clowney runs a 4.5 40 at 270 pounds (1 Viewer)

No, clowney will be the first pick by a mile.

Depends on if the team needs a QB. I agree that Clowney is the best prospect by far...but that does not always translate into being the first selected. See Calvin Johnson and Julius Peppers.

Dude is fast in gym shorts and the football field. Monster.

I would be all for trading our first rounder to a team like Jacksonville for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and their 1st next season.

So should we tank this season like the Hornets for Clowney?

Sadly, if any tanking was going to be done by us, it should have been this past season. Sean is back, so we'll be trying to win every game from here on out.

Its amazing what one incredible highlight can do for you.

But I mean...what a highlight!

clowney.0_standard_709.0.gif

really? You would trade back a whole round or two prospecting on how bad another team will be before they even play one game?

Yep. I wouldn't be trading straight up...it would be for their 2nd or 3rd this year and next years first. That's going to very likely be a top 10 pick. And if by singe miracle a team like the Jags drastically improve it still wouldn't be a bad trade

I like A&M a little more than UT. That's like comparing the excitement of a crown versus a root canal. But the kid from A&M had a freshman season like no other QB in college history. If he plays to that level again next year, he's lock for #1 pick.

The conventional wisdom in the NFL for the last twenty years has been that running qbs who excel in college do not last in the NFL. NFL teams also like qbs in the 6' 4" range and/or taller. Manziel is a smallish, scrambling qb and there will be a lot of debate when his tiem comes as to how well his game translates to the pros.

Insofar as running qbs go, the recent success of Kapernik, Wilson and RG3 has some folks rethinking whether running qbs are the way to go. I think the jury is still out on whether these guys will stay healthy enough to be successful in the long term. RG3 may never be quite the same after his surgery, we will see.

NFL teams don't like short qbs. For every Drew Brees that made it there are hundreds of highly successful six footish qbs who could not play in the pros. Brees is the exception to the rule. If anything, qbs are getting taller. Eli Manning, Payton Manning, Brady, Flacco and most top qbs are tall and make their living in the pocket.

When Manziel comes out expect a huge debate on where he fits on the NFL. He will not carry the sure thing tag that Andrew Luck did. By the way, Luck is who I would want to start my team if I was looking to build the perfect qb. He is a pocket qb who only runs as a last resort, but can run if he has to.

Manziel is going to create a lot of fun buzz for the NFL. Linebackers and safeties in the NFL are a lot bigger and faster than in college. How long would Manziel last? Who knows, it will be fun finding out. He will not be the overall number one pick.

Yep. I wouldn't be trading straight up...it would be for their 2nd or 3rd this year and next years first. That's going to very likely be a top 10 pick. And if by singe miracle a team like the Jags drastically improve it still wouldn't be a bad trade

I see. I was reading it wrong. I still would not personally give up our first this year. We need to get good players in our system as early as possible.

While I'm sure the "Free Farm League" does have some to do with it, Football is nothing like Basket Ball, Tennis, Soccer, Base Ball, etc. Football is 100 times more physical than these sports combined. .

I totally agree football is the most physical, but I no longer think it's the only real physical sport. I've been fortunate to have glass seats for a bunch of Stars games over the years, and I can tell you, hockey is not too far behind. Those guys, at least on the pro level, flat get after it, and each other. You think offensive linemen get angry when someone hits their QB, you should see what happens when someone hits the goalie Besides, any sport where you regularly see blood on the ice, is pretty physical if you ask me.

I can't watch that hit against Michigan enough. I remember blurting out an uncontrollable OMG when it happened. And the lagniappe was that it was the first play after a horribly botched fourth down measurement.

So if force = mass times acceleration, when he goes from zero (at the LOS) to whatever MPH 4.5 represents, with 270 pounds of mass, that kind of explains how he can knock the helmet and ball off the RB like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom