N/S: Richard Sherman - Player's POV - They're Going to Use Us Up (2 Viewers)

he has a solid grasp on how it works.....I think the players view it the same as the fans in that there's very little anyone can do to stop the NFL machine or even change it's direction. The NFL is just too big and too powerful to be forced into any kind of change unless they do it themselves and then it's just tossing a bone to quiet the masses.

Say what you will about the man, but if he isn't one of the 5 smartest players in the NFL I can't name a 6th who is smarter.

From the NFL talking sideways about endorsements, to social activism, to helping out with the education system, this guy is going to have a brighter career after football than he currently has on the gridiron.

Sounds like Sherman needs to follow his own beliefs and retire.

The stronger the unions and lawyers become, the less fans will recognize the game.

It's not like Sherman or anyone else is forced to play football. There are plenty of jobs out there for college grads.

NEWS FLASH!! Got news for ya Sherm. I'm 63, I've got arthritis in my shoulders and neck, I've got protruding discs in my back, my wrists, knees, and ankles pop all the time, and the list goes on. I've never played football and I'm not rich from doing so. Long story short, nobody is forcing you to play football and become rich. You can stop anytime you want. No one is using you up. It's your own greed that uses you up. The reality? Whether you play football or not, you are going to suffer all these maladies no matter what. You at least have the money to afford to have something done about it to improve your quality of life. What people like you need to do is to stop blaming others for the decisions you make, and take responsibility for your own actions and decisions.

Say what you will about the man, but if he isn't one of the 5 smartest players in the NFL I can't name a 6th who is smarter.

From the NFL talking sideways about endorsements, to social activism, to helping out with the education system, this guy is going to have a brighter career after football than he currently has on the gridiron.
Spot on.

Richard will someday be the Executive Director of the NFLPA.

If you had a chance to put a few million away early in your life doing something hazardous but not necessarily life threatening would you?

Sounds like Sherman needs to follow his own beliefs and retire.

The stronger the unions and lawyers become, the less fans will recognize the game.

It's not like Sherman or anyone else is forced to play football. There are plenty of jobs out there for college grads.

Yeah all those 56 Million dollar jobs out there for college grads...

He's using his body to make a living first. It only lasts so long.

Coming from a guy on a defense which hits about as hard as any. Humm. Ok.

Here's a couple of things to think about, though no one wants to hear them. First, a change in mentality to use correct technique in tackling and blocking. The lights out hits that guys try to go for (hello Sherman) need to be coached out of the game. Also, remove some of the padding and protection. Right now with chest and shoulder pads it doesn't hurt the defenders to lay a shoulder into someone to give a vicious hit. Lose some of the pads so the weapon to hurt is no longer there. Also change the helmet. Remove the hard layer and make it only padding. That way it will force players to use correct technique and not lead with their head.

Also, and players should know this. Injuries are part of the game. If you don't want the injuries, stop playing the game. Go deliver mail, be a mall cop, be a business man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from a guy on a defense which hits about as hard as any. Humm. Ok.

Here's a couple of things to think about, though no one wants to hear them. First, a change in mentality to use correct technique in tackling and blocking. The lights out hits that guys try to go for (hello Sherman) need to be coached out of the game. Also, remove some of the padding and protection. Right now with chest and shoulder pads it doesn't hurt the defenders to lay a shoulder into someone to give a vicious hit. Lose some of the pads so the weapon to hurt is no longer there. Also change the helmet. Remove the hard layer and make it only padding. That way it will force players to use correct technique and not lead with their head.

Also, and players should know this. Injuries are part of the game. If you don't want the injuries, stop playing the game. Go deliver mail, be a mall cop, be a business man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought it was interesting for a defensive player to bring it up when the NFL has basically turned the rules against them over the last 20 years.

That said, I have no problem with the union fighting to get as much revenue for the players as possible.

It sure sounds like Mr. Sherman is aware of the circumstances he has chosen to partake in. Not to mention that he is handsomely compensated for his inconveniences.

There are guys in the military who spend 20 to 30 years of getting there body's pounded for FAR less scratch. While Mr. Sherman is given a lofty platform and a fat salary. Used up? Sounds like he is a malcontent.

Why doesn't he use his money, time and platform to expound upon the less fortunate? I have no sympathy for a millionaire who suits up 1 day a week for 16 weeks to play a game and then spends more time complaining about his "unfortunate circumstances," than actually "working."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom