N/S So why was Garoppolo traded to San Fran for a 2nd? (1 Viewer)

from what I've heard Bill has a great relationship with Mike Shanahan and wanted to do his son (Kyle) a solid. Since bill also liked Jimmy G a lot he wanted to put him in a situation where he could succeed.

As for the Cleveland situation and not taking better offers from them there is a good reason for that. According to reports I've heard Belichek still harbors resentment towards the Browns

I remember reading that as well. BB was grateful for how hard JG worked, & BB did not want to send him to a dumpster fire team.

JG said that he, “could not get on the plane fast enough,” because he wanted to be a starter. In his first few games, before his injury, when he was doing well & he was on fire, JG said that BB texted him after each game, encouraging him & congratulating him. Sounds like BB really appreciated the kid.

This is were a good League Commissioner would have stepped in and stopped the trade and made SF compensate NE appropriately...

JG is a good QB.

But he has not proven to be special at this point. This year, he threw 27 TDs and 13 INTs. He threw for 3978 yards. His completion % is really good, but not elite.

He's a guy who I think would really, really struggle if he didn't have an all-world running game and defense.

It does put the whole Burrow thing in perspective doesn’t be it? SF lucked out for sure.

Idk I think Jimmy is a mediocre game manager from what I’ve seen so far. So I don’t think a 2nd was a ‘steal’.

Thank you. I don't know why people continue to make this guy out to be a great qb. He is not. When is the last time a qb threw 8 passes and his team still won by double digits. Now patrick mahomes is a real wb. Jimmy g just had a good team built around him and got help. That's the same thing i want payton to do for drew.

..and really San Fran's offense didn't really take off until they got Emmanuel Sanders. His presence has opened up things for them.

Many of us wanted him (me included) he would have been GREAT next to Thomas. I seriously think we're still playing if we had Sanders.
t
This is 100 percent true,but can't tell some people that. They will get mad and try to convince you that jimmy g is the beat thing since sliced bread, and the reason the niners are good.

This is also why i find the people who were saying that we didn't need a number 2 receiver because we were 7-1 and got that record without a number 2 receiver. The 49ers were unbeaten(i think) when they made that trade. Look at where we are and look at where they are. You NEVER stop improving your team. I don't care how much people blame the defense. That minny game was on the offense. The defense actually played well(until the overtime drive) and the offense wasted every opportunity the defense have them. The defense made that game winnable and the offense failed. A defense can only hold up for so long.

So much salt in these forums. Jimmy is what, the 9th highest paid qb, and he is rated over most of the QBs being paid more than him. He’s 20-5 as a starter for the niners (the niners are 4-500 without him under shanny, or something like that)

you don’t think he was worth a 2nd? Say that again when drew retires and you guys stop watching football completely after you can’t find a qb

his stats are top 20% in the league, and he has more game winning drives than taysom hill, whos going to go to another team next year and never take another snap.

hes worth a 1st, and he’s easily worth his contract. If you don’t agree, you can watch him play in the Super Bowl in a couple weeks and figure it out for yourself.

whats a super bowl qb worth? More than drew, probably

Jimmy g is not the reason they are good. They improved in so many areas which is why they are good. He's in a great situation,but he's average. Please pry your lips off his rear end. Mahomes>>>>>>>>your man crush jimmy g. 8 passes and they won by double digits. Yes he is so great.

So much salt in these forums. Jimmy is what, the 9th highest paid qb, and he is rated over most of the QBs being paid more than him. He’s 20-5 as a starter for the niners (the niners are 4-500 without him under shanny, or something like that)

you don’t think he was worth a 2nd? Say that again when drew retires and you guys stop watching football completely after you can’t find a qb

his stats are top 20% in the league, and he has more game winning drives than taysom hill, whos going to go to another team next year and never take another snap.

hes worth a 1st, and he’s easily worth his contract. If you don’t agree, you can watch him play in the Super Bowl in a couple weeks and figure it out for yourself.

whats a super bowl qb worth? More than drew, probably

Yes i will be watching him get outplayed by a real qb. Jimmy g is not a qb i would want on my team. Case keenum also had a good year where he lit it up. Your point is? Taysom will be right here with us. Sorry,but your qb is very average. He has a good team around him,but he's average.

Since you don't remember, it's important to go back because context is everything. it's not as simple as a team stupidly rejecting a 1st rounder to take a 2nd. It came down to Belichek wanting to keep Jimmy while not wanting to send Garropolo to a career killing destination during that offseason (Browns), even if it meant not getting a first for starters. And by the time that season had begun and things were happening in Patriots-ville behind the scenes from a political standpoint and it looking like Jimmy was not going to be the heir apparent anymore, Belichek reached out to the 49ers because of being impressed with Shanahan's offense from their SB matchup with ATL. and that's why it came down to a 2nd, because the leverage was in the hands of the other team since Belichek initiated this mid-season trade

Jimmy g is not the reason they are good. They improved in so many areas which is why they are good. He's in a great situation,but he's average. Please pry your lips off his rear end. Mahomes>>>>>>>>your man crush jimmy g. 8 passes and they won by double digits. Yes he is so great.

Except I never said he was the reason the niners are good, nor is that the argument. Hes a 2nd tier talent with enough brainpower to run shanny’s offense efficiently.

I think you have to be somewhat slow to use the 8 passes against green bay as an indicator of his talent after a) the saints should have ran more against the Vikings and b) he went 26-35 for 349 and 4 TDs against you guys.

Mahomes is def better than Jimmy. . . at what cost? We shall see. Russ Wilsons contract gutted the hawks, Roethlisberger’s did the same, and look where Goff is . . the niners have a sufficient, good-but-not-great system QB that took them to the SB AFTER signing his big contract. Name the last QB to do that?

Point is, he was 100% worth a 2nd, probably a first, and his contract is a front-loaded bargain that allows the team to build around him. The niners have staying power with him at the helm.

Enjoy the Super Bowl

Yes i will be watching him get outplayed by a real qb. Jimmy g is not a qb i would want on my team. Case keenum also had a good year where he lit it up. Your point is? Taysom will be right here with us. Sorry,but your qb is very average. He has a good team around him,but he's average.

no need to apologize . . .our average QB took us to the Super Bowl. . . you guys lost to the vikings with drew brees, arguably one of the best QBs of all time. The niners lose without Jimmy, and win with him. Thats the ultimate stat, and it trumps your nonsense.

Good try comparing him to Keenum. . .ill let you do your own leg work to figure out how that's a dumb comparison.

Enjoy the SB. Hopefully we get a MVP performance out of ol average James.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom