N/S --- Sort of: Fantasy Football an indicator of NFL season? (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There are many things affecting the upcoming football season. Could it be that Fantasy football is painting a picture of what could happen this NFL season?

On a personal note, the league I founded with my best friend is now in our 33rd year. We've rarely had openings in our 12 team league. We've had 2 openings in the last 15 years. This year will be different and there are many factors. I think the article is right on as to why. Our league had 4 teams drop out this year(2 for protests and 2 for Covid.) Frankly, I was probably mixed as to if we would have a league this year. I'd say mainly because I didn't know if there would be a season. I'm frustrated that all the sports leagues have become so political but that's for another time and place.

So do you think the people are backing off for the reasons listed below?

I took this from a Washington Post article...

“It’s ugly,” Joe Dyken, who runs the website Fantasy Football Nerd, told The Washington Post via email. “We are down 60% from where we were at this time last year.
“I’ve heard from many of our members, and it’s a combination of a few factors. COVID is the biggest issue. Some of our members have lost their jobs and their discretionary income is simply not there. Some are concerned that there won’t be a season, so they’re holding off until they feel confident that the NFL will indeed kick off. We even have some members who have voiced their frustration about players kneeling, and they are refusing to watch the NFL.

The two money leagues that I'm in are still happening. But with the plan that money will be refunded if a certain percentage of the league gets into Covid IR for a couple of weeks at a time rendering fantasy games unfair.

It may be an indicator of perception (or whether people are being more cautious with their money. But not an indicator of whether the season happens or not.

At this moment, only one player remains on the COVID-19 list in the entire league. And as we’ve seen, positive tests will result in individual decisions (player, game) and not a league wide shutdown.

They will play.

Fantasy will follow Football, not the other way around.

As long as there are two or more men fighting about a ball, people will bet money on it.

I think fantasy football has been on a downward trend for a number of years now and this has just been the final straw for a lot of people, especially older players.

There is also a stronger influence of luck hitting fantasy football over the past decade.

No “real” preseason in years. So you couldn’t gain much of a competitive advantage by watching games and taking notes.

Injuries are being taken much more seriously. Especially concussions. When your QB or RB leaves for the game in the 1st quarter then it’s hard to win.

Less bellcow RBs each year.

I haven't played fantasy in years but I do play in a money pick 'em league. We usually have about 50-60 players each season. You have until the day before the first real game to pay and make your picks. Seems like that's what a lot of people are doing in our league. I can't remember the last time there were so few players registered with the season so close.

Nothing was mentioned in the sign up email about refunds or any of that but since it's been the same person as the admin for our league, we all know that we're getting money back if the season abruptly ends or anything like that. If I still was interested in fantasy (I'm not because it's too time consuming) I wouldn't play this year because of the possibility of COVID wrecking your season if your stud QB or whatever position gets sick and opts out for the season. I guess the risk is the same a la injuries, but the uncertainty surrounding the possibility of playing a full season would just have me playing in a league with no money on the line.

I think the season will kick off as scheduled but wouldn't be the least bit surprised if two teams end up with like half of their roster infected after playing each other - or multiple teams. They're going to have to do daily rapid testing for the entire season for all players to keep that from happening. The only problem is that the rapid tests have a tendency for false results from what I have heard.

2 of my 3 leagues are not playing this year. We lost 4 teams strictly due to the fact that Brees cannot say that he will stand for the flag without a political price to pay. At least 1 of those dropped his season tickets too.

There are many things affecting the upcoming football season. Could it be that Fantasy football is painting a picture of what could happen this NFL season?

On a personal note, the league I founded with my best friend is now in our 33rd year. We've rarely had openings in our 12 team league. We've had 2 openings in the last 15 years. This year will be different and there are many factors. I think the article is right on as to why. Our league had 4 teams drop out this year(2 for protests and 2 for Covid.) Frankly, I was probably mixed as to if we would have a league this year. I'd say mainly because I didn't know if there would be a season. I'm frustrated that all the sports leagues have become so political but that's for another time and place.

So do you think the people are backing off for the reasons listed below?

I took this from a Washington Post article...

“It’s ugly,” Joe Dyken, who runs the website Fantasy Football Nerd, told The Washington Post via email. “We are down 60% from where we were at this time last year.
“I’ve heard from many of our members, and it’s a combination of a few factors. COVID is the biggest issue. Some of our members have lost their jobs and their discretionary income is simply not there. Some are concerned that there won’t be a season, so they’re holding off until they feel confident that the NFL will indeed kick off. We even have some members who have voiced their frustration about players kneeling, and they are refusing to watch the NFL.
Big money league I have been in for 20+ years: DONE! The 12 owners through the pandemic, have found there are more important things in life and discovered new interests like the outdoors, fishing, hunting, golfing, boating and travel to state parks and national parks. 6 of the 12 had Saints season tickets and LSU season tickets. 4 of the Saints season ticket holders had tickets for 20+ years. The other two, including myself have had them less then 10 years. We have all decided that even after this season, we will not be renewing our tickets.

Pro sports is going to find out very soon, they will be in trouble, sooner, rather than later. People have come to realize, sports and the spoiled billionaires, along with the entitled thinking multi millionaire players are simply trivial. And they really are. I mean what do any of them do, or say, will change my life, or yours? Anything they do, or say, is not going to change what I have to do, to live and exist. If they play, so what? If they cease to exist, so what? I still have to work. I still have to go to the grocery. I still have to pay bills. I mean how does anything change for me?

Rant over!

Big money league I have been in for 20+ years: DONE! The 12 owners through the pandemic, have found there are more important things in life and discovered new interests like the outdoors, fishing, hunting, golfing, boating and travel to state parks and national parks. 6 of the 12 had Saints season tickets and LSU season tickets. 4 of the Saints season ticket holders had tickets for 20+ years. The other two, including myself have had them less then 10 years. We have all decided that even after this season, we will not be renewing our tickets.

Pro sports is going to find out very soon, they will be in trouble, sooner, rather than later. People have come to realize, sports and the spoiled billionaires, along with the entitled thinking multi millionaire players are simply trivial. And they really are. I mean what do any of them do, or say, will change my life, or yours? Anything they do, or say, is not going to change what I have to do, to live and exist. If they play, so what? If they cease to exist, so what? I still have to work. I still have to go to the grocery. I still have to pay bills. I mean how does anything change for me?

Rant over!
Well said. I just had this conversation with a group of friends. We are all over the diva attitude, billionaires fighting over trivial things, and politicizing of sports. It's too much. I agree. They are all about to find out.

The networks can keep fighting over the rights to broadcast games but I'm not sure I'd want to be the network that steps up hard to get those eyeballs on this deal only to find out it was a huge financial mistake. It feels much different than when there was a strike. We will find out soon enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom