N/S: Sources: ESPN Laying Off Hundreds (1 Viewer)

The World is Flat. Read it.
Unfortunately the world is not the neatly packaged ideal described in that book.

It is also unfortunate that people don't fully understand the repercussions of what is going on with our IT industry, nor even know of other industries that are being outsourced in search of cheap labor and bigger CEO yearly bonuses.

Cheaper labor, or better labor? Lets face it, America doesn't have a monopoly on the brightest minds, and we certainly have a monopoly resources. No need to curse the darkness, embrace the light, when people over there are getting jobs because of downsizing here, there are smaller companies looking to hire those laid off people.

That said, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have, but downsizing is not always as evil people make it out to be. Sometimes it's just necessary.

Cheaper labor, or better labor? Lets face it, America doesn't have a monopoly on the brightest minds, and we certainly have a monopoly resources. No need to curse the darkness, embrace the light, when people over there are getting jobs because of downsizing here, there are smaller companies looking to hire those laid off people.

That said, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have, but downsizing is not always as evil people make it out to be. Sometimes it's just necessary.

Not better labor... CHEAP labor. People over there aren't getting jobs because of "downsizing" here, it is the other way around.

I don't expect people who aren't in "the business" if you will to get it or understand it. Just hope it doesn't affect you or someone in your family one day.

You ever had to call customer service for either your Internet, cable, or phone? It's the worse ever!!!! lol

Not better labor... CHEAP labor. People over there aren't getting jobs because of "downsizing" here, it is the other way around.

I don't expect people who aren't in "the business" if you will to get it or understand it. Just hope it doesn't affect you or someone in your family one day.

I thought the issue on the IT side was that there are not enough people with strong computer skills in the US to supply all the demand.

You ever had to call customer service for either your Internet, cable, or phone? It's the worse ever!!!! lol
I thought the issue on the IT side was that there are not enough people with strong computer skills in the US to supply all the demand.

90% of the time I call customer service for internet, cable, or phone the person on the other end is flipping through a manual or reading off some flowchart to diagnose the problem or issue.

I don't know that call centers for telecommunications qualify as actual "IT" work. And I'm not sure the decision to outsource call centers is based on IT knowledge present overseas vs. here.

Federal government did it to me after 31 years -- didn't take any severance package, because I intend to finish my career. Someday.

The book "The World is Flat" talks more about the global community, and how it was going to happen with or without companies seeking more profits. India has been sending world class talent to the US for years due to their government being crap in way of providing opportunities for their citizens. Those people were coming to the US, going to Europe, etc. Now the government is more focused on providing opportunities for Indians wishing to stay in India as opposed to leaving, and as such companies are seeing reason to put more jobs where its cheaper, and talent is on par with what they have now.

Because of people over there getting more opportunities progress is being made across the board, and you are forced to make yourself more attractive to employers or being the fry guy at McDonalds. There is nothing capitalistic about that, if you remain a loser boyfriend your girlfriend will move on for a better prospect. Instead of cursing India and the like for taking your job, go out and make yourself more attractive, or find one of the 100's of small business' picking up the pieces from big business' downsizing.

I have personally been on the wrong side of downsizing twice. Yeah it sucks, but you can either get on, or get left behind. I am in a better situation now than I was before.

/SorryforthreadjackingscrewESPN

That is a misconception. There's plenty of talent here, and real talent. Not make-believe talent like the other places to where US companies are outsourcing jobs.

The book "The World is Flat" talks more about the global community, and how it was going to happen with or without companies seeking more profits. India has been sending world class talent to the US for years due to their government being crap in way of providing opportunities for their citizens. Those people were coming to the US, going to Europe, etc. Now the government is more focused on providing opportunities for Indians wishing to stay in India as opposed to leaving, and as such companies are seeing reason to put more jobs where its cheaper, and talent is on par with what they have now.

Because of people over there getting more opportunities progress is being made across the board, and you are forced to make yourself more attractive to employers or being the fry guy at McDonalds. There is nothing capitalistic about that, if you remain a loser boyfriend your girlfriend will move on for a better prospect. Instead of cursing India and the like for taking your job, go out and make yourself more attractive, or find one of the 100's of small business' picking up the pieces from big business' downsizing.

I have personally been on the wrong side of downsizing twice. Yeah it sucks, but you can either get on, or get left behind. I am in a better situation now than I was before.

/SorryforthreadjackingscrewESPN

I don't understand why you are trying to make a point on something you don't understand or know about. I don't even know where to start with the load of BS you posted.

flashback.com-flicker.jpg
Jesus, how bad was tv back then when they actually had specials like that.... But, we all thought they were great....:hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom