N/S Sources: Falcons want to interview USC's Carroll for head coaching vacancy (1 Viewer)

Carroll would be a fool to leave USC. He has a gravy job in a soft conference. His NCAA success would not translate into NFL success. He was 33-31 in the NFL, fired twice as a HC. Even Jim Mora was 27-23 while he was at Atlanta. The birds would be setting themselves up once again for a run of mediocrity.

Pete Carroll has been the most dominant coach in college football the past six seasons. USC has not finished lower than 4th in the rankings & their record over that time is 70-8. It is the best program in a city that does not have the NFL & he has total control. I do not see him leaving any time soon.

Now about the Atlanta job. Let's put our hatred of the Falcons aside for a second. The Atlanta job is a far better opportunity than the Saints job was two years ago. Better owner, more stable franchise, city without recovery challenges, ect. They just need the right man for the job. I am very thankful Miami stepped up & signed Parcells.

With the lack of success college coaches have in the NFL and the whole Petrino thing, why are they still looking at college coaches?

Actually he wasn't terrible. His combined record was 33-31. Made the playoffs once. Wasn't great but not terrible. He's probably learned alot since then. USC runs a NFL offense (because of him), so it's not like he would be lost. He's also had a lot of success as coordinators in the NFL too.

He's the one college coach I don't wont see come back.

He took over a Patriots team that was in the Superbowl and they got progressively worse every year he was there, I also can't remember any draft pick he made past the 2nd round that had any affect on the team, although I could be wrong I don't have time to look it up. I will say that even though he was a bad coach his job was a made a whole lot harder in 99 by Robert Edwards blowing out his knee after the 98 season.

Carroll would be a fool to leave USC. He has a gravy job in a soft conference. His NCAA success would not translate into NFL success. He was 33-31 in the NFL, fired twice as a HC. Even Jim Mora was 27-23 while he was at Atlanta. The birds would be setting themselves up once again for a run of mediocrity.

and he coaches the national championship team every year even though they dont play in the championship games or finish the season rated No. 1

there isnt a true NCAA football Champ if it isnt USC everyone knows that

There's also news today regarding the Reggie Bush inquiry during his time at USC. Yahoo's reporter is releasing his book and promises hard evidence on the sales' tour.

If Pete sees a sanction coming from the NCAA (it's obvious that SoCal won't do anything) he might find the time is right to cash in with an NFL contract.

Pete Carroll has done less with more than almost every other college coach. He's won one BCS Championship and every year loses to a nobody. i.e. Stanford this year. All the writers say he could have won the championship this year except for injuries. Well, if Dixon of Oregon hadn't been injured, Pete & USC probably wouldn't have won the Pac10.

and he coaches the national championship team every year even though they dont play in the championship games or finish the season rated No. 1

there isnt a true NCAA football Champ if it isnt USC everyone knows that

Why are you so biiter? Who's crying about a playoff system right now? Not Pete Carroll & USC. That's right...it's fellow SEC Georgia! LSU just won the BCS National Campionship Game. Try to enjoy it!

Anyone else get the feeling that Pete may be doing Arthor Blank a favor by interviewing for the job. Kinda making the job look more appealing that it really is. Maybe even make the next coach feel good that he was hired over Carroll.

I say this b/c I can't think of one reason that Carroll would want to leave USC or the collage ranks for that matter. He's got the perfict gig, you know he's doing well in the money dept. (I mean there's always more money, but IMO when you are making the kind of money that some of these coaches make, money probably becomes less of a factor than many of us think.) His team is always at the top of the rankings, (even when they're not that good, the media finds a way to spin USC into the top slot)

Plus, I get the feeling that his approach to coaching players is much better suited to young player that are impressionable & hungry, not players who are making more money than him and some don't mind telling a coach that it's the players that make the team, not the coach. (at least in their mind)

Carroll's not going anywhere. Is he?

With the lack of success college coaches have in the NFL and the whole Petrino thing, why are they still looking at college coaches?

Because Blank wants to hire a "name" and the list of available former winning NFL coaches begins and ends with Bill Cowher (he's already turned them down). Carroll's a "name" with former NFL HC experience, There's virtually no chance he'll leave USC (unless Blank throws a mega deal at him) but he'll meet with Blank and the Falcons then use the meeting as leverage for a raise from USC. At this point the Falcons are grasping at straws. They're going to end up with a NFL assistant (Jason Garrett) or Brian Billick as their next HC.....

Let's see Pete... You can either stay put and be considered a genius in southern Cal, continue to get top-notch recruits, and continue to get ranked at or near the top of the BCS every year by the idiot media.

or

You can go and coach the skid marks of the NFL, with arguably the worst fans in the country.

Think long and hard Pete.

From the Falcons board -

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Falcons are pursuing USC coach Pete Carroll regarding their head coaching vacancy.
Would they try the college ranks again? Carroll, 56, is coming off a disappointing season with the Trojans, but also has arguably the best job in college football and resisted more favorable NFL positions last offseason. He'd likely want complete control, something owner Arthur Blank's decision to retain president Rich McKay indicates isn't available. It also might take a $10 million per year offer to get Carroll to bite.

Wow.....$10 million a year? Heck I hate the Falcons and I would coach them for half that. Oh and Falcons fans are excitedly talking about how Carroll mentioned if he got the job he'd try to bring in lots of former players (including Reggie Bush). They seem to fail to comprehend the meaning of the words "under contract". But their board has always been the best source of unintended comedy on the net.......

Carroll is a good recruiter and the PAC-10 is not exactly a world beater conference. In the NFL, he will have to deal with a more level playing field and it won't translate into the same success.

he would be stupid to leave USC.

that program is so dominate, and will be for a very long long time. plus hes also a god in california.

Why are you so biiter? Who's crying about a playoff system right now? Not Pete Carroll & USC. That's right...it's fellow SEC Georgia! LSU just won the BCS National Campionship Game. Try to enjoy it!

was being sarcastic - im not bitter i think its comical, the argument of the true no.1 seems to be made if USC isnt the no. 1 team.

personally i dont think the playoff system will work since ratings determine who the top 8 or Plus 1, 2 teams are, notice the plus 1 scenerio is said not to be vaild because at season end USC wouldnt be one of those teams, and if it was an 8 team playoff it would be invalid if usc is no. 9

having said all that - the last thing the falcons need is another college coach even if he does stay the success rate is low - well maybe then thats the best thing for them lol

From the Falcons board -

Wow.....$10 million a year? Heck I hate the Falcons and I would coach them for half that. Oh and Falcons fans are excitedly talking about how Carroll mentioned if he got the job he'd try to bring in lots of former players (including Reggie Bush). They seem to fail to comprehend the meaning of the words "under contract". But their board has always been the best source of unintended comedy on the net.......

That alot of money! I doubt he leaves though.

And if he did get hired, Falclown fans want Reggie?!!? Their the 1st ones saying Norwood is the better player, and they dislike him alot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom